Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-03-2015, 18:51   #16

Boat: Valiant 42
Re: Dynaplate as a Lightning ground; Yea nor Nay?

I do RF electromagnetic simulations all the time. There is nothing about sintered bronze that makes it better than a same size plate of plain old bronze. However, I believe sintered bronze is cheaper and lighter.

I can find no documented cases of "explosions due to boiling water". Lots of "I heard about it from a friend" cases out there.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 16:12   #17

Boat: possible Union 36 Rehab

I have no basis for comparison, but in the middle of a bright sunny day, in the mast cluttered harbor in SF, on a vessel with a Dynaplate, a ham reached Ecuador.
BigSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 18:47   #18

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

So.. some ignorance here on my part. Is the lightning ground separate from your normal sea/engine ground? Is each of those different from your zinc bonding?

From the factory, our shrouds are bonded to our zincs so I always assumed they were doing double duty as lightning protection.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 19:37   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

This Urban Legend repeats itself regularly. It has been roundly rejected. On the basis of logic alone, where are all the shattered Dynaplates? Nobody has ever posted a picture of a single one. I have searched for the pictures.

Two summers ago on July 5 we were struck in our slip. Witnesses saw the direct hit. The Windex was vaporized; all SS antennas on the mast top were also melted. There were only bits of SS on the deck remaining. We lost three radios, 5 LED lights, 60 amp main shore breaker; 1.5 KW alternator; fused the wiring in the bow; all Raymarine instruments; 18 Buss fuses; AIS; the transom paint cracked, etc. The Dynaplate is unaffected. Further, the 4" wide X 1/16 inch thick copper bonding strip inside the boat was also not damaged. This strip is many times less cross section for carrying the current than a Dynaplate.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lightning