Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-05-2009, 03:21   #1
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau TW28 Long Cabin
Thumbs up Dutch Barge Replica Launches

Here's an inspiring story about the construction of a replica 400 yr old dutch sailing barge in upstate NY.

Onrust rolls out; tears flow (with video, photos)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	onrust2_t500x500.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	8178  
knottybuoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2009, 06:04   #2

Great story, but argh!

It's a great article, but it doesn't tell us the sailorly details! Boat details, like displacement! and no picture of the boat in the water in the gallery? Ah well, she's sure a beautiful hull shape... would like to see the rig details.

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog anchored in a coral atoll.
Amgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2009, 14:16   #3
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Nice, but it isn't a barge. This is how a classic Dutch barge looks: Dutch barge - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Notice the round bow and stern. The ship pictured is designed to sail at sea.

cheers,
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2009, 19:56   #4

Actually, I'm fairly certain the boat pictured at Wikipedia is specifically a boier, which is merely one of several flat-bottomed Dutch designs often called a barge. But regardless, the boat was built to plan and specification for a 1600s Dutch barge, whatever it may have been called at that time I do not know.

Old 22-05-2009, 21:50   #5

Boat: Skookum 53'
It is a beautiful craft no matter the nomenclature.
captain58sailin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2009, 08:08   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amgine View Post
Actually, I'm fairly certain the boat pictured at Wikipedia is specifically a boier, which is merely one of several flat-bottomed Dutch designs often called a barge. But regardless, the boat was built to plan and specification for a 1600s Dutch barge, whatever it may have been called at that time I do not know.
Amgine,

Let me explain why I make the point: First, I am Dutch and spent much of my life around traditional/historic Dutch barges and yachts. I am very sure that a "boier" doesn't exist, at least not in Holland or as a Dutch designed boat. The boat on the wikipedia page is a tjalk. The page lists all types of Dutch barges; some are named for their type/shape, others for the city or area where they were build.

Second, a barge is a ship designed for hauling cargo. The onrust was a yacht, and calling it a barge is an insult to her and raises the hair of Dutch sailors ;-) A yacht (Dutch word and invention, see Yacht - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) is specifically a boat not built for hauling cargo. It's like calling a Ferrari a truck. A yacht is built to sail fast ("yacht" = "jacht" meaning "hunting") for exploration, leisure, racing or the owner's favorite mode of travelling.

So, my remark was meant to stand up for Onrust's pride & glory, hoping to prevent many from calling her names she doesn't deserve.

The Onrust was the first decked boat built in America. She was built and used by the crew of the Tyger ("tiger"), which was lost by fire, with help from the local indians. She played a big part in the explorations that lead to the first accurate charts of the US east coast and the Dutch territory of New Netherland. For more info about this part of Dutch and American history, read this page: New Netherland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Other websites about the Onrust:

Onrust - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
On-Hudson.com : Henry Hudson's Boat Onrust Replica @ New York City National Boat Show Quadricentennial Display
The Onrust Project 2006-2009
New Netherland’ first ship the ’Onrust’ becomes replica project » The Windmill news articles » goDutch

ciao!
Nick.
Old 23-05-2009, 13:32   #7

My apologies for a faulty memory; the vessel type I was trying to remember was a bolschip, from Urk, though now I'm no longer so sure the shape is similar other than the round. I'm happy to be schooled about the history of this boat. But I think you might have missed somewhat with both the words 'yacht' and 'barge'. Please remember that in English the use of the word 'barge' is not necessarily insulting, though it does usually indicate slow. It also can mean opulent, luxurious, grand, and stately. These are also characteristics of yachty boats today.

Old 23-05-2009, 14:31   #8

Boat: Skookum 53'
There are many barges in Holland that are fitted out much nicer than many homes anywhere. They are absolutely elegant inside.
captain58sailin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2009, 17:05   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Barge: A barge is a flat-bottomed boat, built mainly for river and canal transport of heavy goods.(Barge - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

My grandfather started on one 100 years ago with sail and horses (horses pulled the barge on tow path along canal/river). He later owned and skippered the biggest barge ever build at that time (2000 tons) and my father was born aboard it. Lucky for me they decided to work ashore so I could become a computer geek, earning enough money to be out cruising now... I would have been driving up and down the river Rhine today otherwise ;-)

The nice barges you see in Holland are converted to yachts. These are the ones I've been around a lot. They were not nice like that before their conversion ;-)

Amgine: yes, bol means "shaped round" like a ball. They used "bol" to differentiate it from others like a "punter" (= point) and all describe the shape of the hull.

You can find all of them on this page: SSRP - Stichting Stamboek Ronde en Platbodemjachten
The text is in Dutch but the pictures show all ;-)

Our Queen owns a Lemsteraak and we have met them on the water many times but all long ago ;-)

ciao!
Nick.
Old 27-05-2009, 08:14   #10

Neat stuff! I live about an hour away and saw a classified ad looking for old ship items (anchors, etc.) and didn't know what it was for.

Anyone know where this boat will be permanently moored? I saw its going to NYC in June. Is it coming back to the Albany Area?