Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-06-2009, 14:42   #1

Boat: 1974 Columbia 34'
Dull / Faded Paint - What To Do?

My boat's topside paint has seen better days. It's a bit faded. I plan on having it repainted a few years down the road, but was wondering if there is any kind of product that can be applied to possibly shine/brighten her up a bit in the mean time?

I remember at some point seeing some an infomercial for some sort of rub on polish stuff that gave a temporary shine back to faded paint. I'm hoping theres something like that out there for boats?

I'm sure there's already a thread covering this somewhere, but I couldn't find one.

Thanks -Adam
Finding Id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2009, 17:20   #2

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida
You may be thinking of Polyglow often used as a "last resort" type option or one of it's equivalent acrylic coatings, e.g., Vertiglass, both of which you can find info about with a quick google search
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2009, 19:05   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
There are basically two ways of returning oxidized paint back to a shine. Polish it with a grit that eliminates the oxidatation or put some sort of coating over the oxide which makes it shine again. The first method is the hardest but will last the longest. The second method looks good for a while but requires repeated reapplication of the chemical that coats the oxidized paint.

Given you will not be replacing the paint for some time, I would use the first method of removing the oxidation with a multi-step process starting with the coarsest polishing compound first. 3-M has a number of systems for doing this depending on just what it is you are removing.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2009, 19:44   #4

One vote for Poliglow

Last year, I bought a 1975 Sabre 28 that was chalky on the deck and dirty, stained, dull and dingy on the topsides. Every time I went out to her on the launch last season, she was just ugly looking from a distance.

Before launching her this year, I decided to use Poliprep cleaner (and some Davis FSR where stains were bad) followed by Poliglow on the deck and topsides -- forepeak to cockpit, nonskid, topsides, transom and all. Did it all in 2, 4-hour days.

What a difference! She looks great as I approach her (She's a legitimate '10 foot' looker, now) and the Poliglow coating on the deck has definately kept the dirt down (the osprey were using me as a feeding platform for a while -- and the mess just rinsed off with a bucket). I'll notice a new stain and then, after a rain, notice it's gone. I was worried it would be slick, but it isn't, particularly (after all, it's basically Future Floor Wax from what I understand). The transom stains are the only ones that lingered and still annoy me.

I notice a couple of spots where the feeding osprey flaked off the coating on the cabin top, but it's been over a month on the mooring and overall it looks like it was done yesterday. So far so good. . .

Not at all related to the Poliglow company (just impressed by their product, given all the Poliglow haters).

-Dr. C.
Dr. C. is offline   Reply With Quote