Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2010, 19:49   #1

Boat: '70 Soverel 33 (v.1)
Dry vs Wet Storage

Sorry if this has been beaten to death before but the search function diesnt work so well from my smartphone...Opinions on dry vs wet storage for a full displacement sailboat? I plan to unstep the mast in either case (to systematically replace the standing rigging). Thanks.
Anomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 21:38   #2

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
I've used both dry storage and wet storage when I have been away from the boat for several months or even longer. If the period of absence is for only a couple of months, I don't mind wet storage. If it's going to be longer that a couple of months, I prefer dry storage. After a long period of dry storage, there will be lots of projects that need to be done, and I work better on major projects when the boat is on the hard.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 22:01   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
I'm with Dave.

Longer term = dry
Shorter term = wet
Big projects = dry
Little projects = wet

PO of our boat stored it on the hard. Only sailed once a quarter or so. All things considered that was very good for the boat. They deteriorate in water faster than on the hard for sure.

We've kept it wet because we sail almost every weekend. We save the big jobs for the annual haulout.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 22:07   #4

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40
In Narragansett Bay in winter -- I would say keep it on the hard unless you live close enough to check on it before/after extreme weather. Freezing and ice/snow loads can sink boats at the dock.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 09:48   #5

Thanks for the replies so far. I have done both too in the past. Increasingly starting to wonder about the loads put on hulls dry storage during storms... In any case, I'll be gone Oct-Dec and then again Feb-April. Still pondering...
Old 02-10-2010, 14:35   #6

Boat: Jeanneau 419
Every boat I owned since '72 wintered wet, the natural cradle.

I'm in NY yes there is ice risk, but have you checked your jack stands after a blow, its all trade offs.

In the early spring I'm sailing as I walk past all the noise of the sanders buzzing in the yard.

I pull out in June or July plenty of room.
Jimbo2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 14:39   #7

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anomaly View Post
Thanks for the replies so far. I have done both too in the past. Increasingly starting to wonder about the loads put on hulls dry storage during storms... In any case, I'll be gone Oct-Dec and then again Feb-April. Still pondering...
This was my deal-killer. Used to winter in all the time in RI but now, having a boat in Rhode Island but living in Fl during winter, I'd never leave here as I can't check it periodically as I used to do.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 15:37   #8

Well, agreed, being able to pop down and check on your boat in person is preferred. But that holds be it in the water or on stands. Jimbo's comment about stands AFTER a big blow is part of what motivates my question or indecision here. If I'm away from the boat, I'm going to try to arrange for someone to be a contact person and periodically check on the boat (in the water or on stands) whether a friend or a for-hire service.
Old 02-10-2010, 16:46   #9

Boat: Islander 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxingout View Post

..............After a long period of dry storage, there will be lots of projects that need to be done.......................
In my opinion, that is what the the question is all about.

My boat is on the hard and I won't be able to splash her again for... I don't wanna think about it.

I'm aware of some precautions to take for hard storage, but what- long term hard storage specific projects are you talking about?