Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2015, 10:15   #16

Re: Drogue bridle legs attachment - plenty strong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyp08 View Post
Hi -

...And you'll get even more info on Roddy Coleman's site: https://www.sv-zanshin.com/manuals/j...structions.pdf
Roddy Coleman built mine - great job, really pleased, but hopefully I'll never need to find out how great
wiekeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 10:22   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 36-1
Send a message via Skype™ to George DuBose

The mounting instructions I had for installing chainplates for my Jordan Series drogue said to avoid fixing the bridle legs to winches or cleats.

I used 3/8" x 2" x 18" stainless steel straps on each corner of the transom with identical straps underneath the deck as backing plates.

As my Pearson 36 had a deck thickness of 3/8 of fiberglass, the first thing I did was add layers of glass under each corner of the stern, building up a layer that is over 1" thick. This buildup is quite a bit larger than the straps.

One corner of the stern also supports a wind generator/radar mast, I would have had to strengthen the deck there anyway.

The tangs or straps for the drogue have holes for large shackles.

What interests me is how to retrieve the drogue. I have read that some sailors have just cut the drogue loose. I was thinking of strapping a block to the mast and with a handy billy and rolling hitches, pull the drogue in 10 feet at a time. I would like to hear others' thoughts.
George DuBose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 10:33   #18

George, the oceanbrake website kellp08 and I mentioned earlier decribes a method similar to yours - it even has a sketch, might be worth a look?
wiekeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 10:34   #19

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by George DuBose View Post
The mounting instructions I had for installing chainplates for my Jordan Series drogue said to avoid fixing the bridle legs to winches or cleats.

I used 3/8" x 2" x 18" stainless steel straps on each corner of the transom with identical straps underneath the deck as backing plates.

As my Pearson 36 had a deck thickness of 3/8 of fiberglass, the first thing I did was add layers of glass under each corner of the stern, building up a layer that is over 1" thick. This buildup is quite a bit larger than the straps.

One corner of the stern also supports a wind generator/radar mast, I would have had to strengthen the deck there anyway.

The tangs or straps for the drogue have holes for large shackles.

What interests me is how to retrieve the drogue. I have read that some sailors have just cut the drogue loose. I was thinking of strapping a block to the mast and with a handy billy and rolling hitches, pull the drogue in 10 feet at a time. I would like to hear others' thoughts.
I have heard good success with just using one of the sheet winches as the little chutes just crank through. Might be a good time to use an electric winch handle.
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 11:03   #20

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidius View Post
The toerail is an integral part of the hull (it's the same steel plate the hull is made of), but I could attach it below deck. What wouldn't be possible is welding below deck, it's a tiny cramped space!

I'm not worried about knots (everything is spliced) or chafe (there'll be nothing to shafe on).
The problem I can see with fixing to the toe rail is that it is only supported at the base so will have some flex. Needs some additional support ether at each side or from the top to prevent that. I think it would be fine to bolt through the hull below the rail but would want a decent backing plate at least to stop any risk of the plate bulging. If welding is impossible you could maybe fit a knee by bolting or riveting?

I once made the mistake of fitting really strong cleats on deck, tied to a jetty a large boat went past and the wash lifted the boat 3ft up then 3ft down. Line was to short so the boat dropped onto it. The cleat held as did the rope so it ripped the whole thing, including the backing plate through a 3/4" plywood deck! Since then I work on the idea that it is either bomb roof or will fail safely so the other way to go is to ensue the week link is the cable attachment.
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 11:08   #21

Boat: Custom cutter, 42'

As Roberts said, you have a steel boat. The best, strongest and most reliable way to do this job is by welding. If you weld on attachment points the place to put them will be at the shear, ie the deck/hull intersection. This is a very strong location. The attachment points can be made from steel. By welding a stainless bushing into the steel fitting you will eliminate any rust problems when you shackle on your drogue.

A fitting like this is much better suited to take the angled loads that will occur when the boat shears relative to the drogue.
Pauls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 11:28   #22

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by George DuBose View Post
How about 1 beefy block at or near the stem (on each side).
Then you run a "retrieval" line, from each primary winch, through the block at the bow, & attach it to the Drogue with a rolling hitch.
Winch in as much as you can on one side, until the rolling hitch reaches a bow block. And then attach the "retrieval" line from the other side of the boat to the Drogue with another rolling hitch.
Winch it in on this new side, until your rolling hitch gets to the bow block on this side, attach the line from the other side again... repeat until all's onboard.
Stow properly (preferably post fresh water rinsing).

In theory, you'll be able to wind in close to a boat length of the Drogue at a time. And I've used similar setups in lieu of a windlass on boat with big headsail winches (albeit I skip the block @ the bow part). Just running dual, long lines with chain hooks on each, from the stem straight back to the primaries.
Plus, if you have a windlass with a capstan (or a wildcat which works well with rope) you could use this double legged setup to retrieve the Drogue even more easily.

OP, when you're figuring out the attachment points for the Bridle Legs of the Drogue, one key item (not mentioned?) is that at times the VAST majority of the load from the Drogue will be being carried by only one leg of the Bridle.
So such is/needs to be figured into the safety factor(s) part of the equation... for every piece of hardware & line connecting the Drogue to the boat.
Odds are you're aware of this, but some other readers may not. Thus, I figured it worth mentioning.

The reasons behind this being things such as; the boat slewing significantly from side to side as she slides down waves simultaneously coming from different directions, wave strikes causing the boat to almost instantly change course from it's heading seconds earlier, unforeseen shock loads from the boat falling off of/almost getting launched off of nightmare sized waves, etc.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 11:42   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

Hi, I bought my Jordan series drogue (well, it was a prsent from ourselves to ourselves) - we made up two sets, 4 pieces, of oversized chain plates which is what the guy (I forget his name at the moment) who holds the rights to manufacture the Jordan advised advised us to do. It is comforting to know that we have these dedicated strong points. We also laid extra glass, quite extensively to the interior of the hulls to strengthen it further before attaching these horizontal chain plates. This is within our engine rooms so was easy enough to do. These chain plates, its on a cat, extend just beyond our transoms trailing edges so there is no chafe on the bridle (we used dyneema line). We have also towed another boat several hundred miles, albeit a calmish sea, using these 'chain plates'. Our plates are made from 10mm polished stainless steel, measure 450mm long x 200mm wide and actually look smart - and I reckon we could hang the entire boat from them. They were pretty hefty chunks.
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 13:00   #24

Boat: Sail any boats from 28 to 60 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidius View Post
Scratch, but off-topic indeed. If you start a new thread I'll respond to it if you send me a link (or just PM)
Thanks. I did a search and got more info, so no need to trouble you. Good luck.
rockDAWG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bridle, drogue, men