Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-07-2012, 09:55   #1

Dripping valve at AC intake thruhull

BTW, although I lurk a lot, I find this forum very useful!

I'd like some opinions, if possible. Please look at the pictures below, to get a better idea of what I am describing. I've got a sailboat that has air-con, and the AC is not original equipment. Whomever installed the thru hull and valve 11 years ago did it in a different way than I would, and this fall, when I haul, I will have it done correctly. In the meantime, the valve has just started dripping only when it is open. When I open it, about 2 oz of water come out, then it very slowly drips until I close it.

The first picture shows the thru hull with the elbow and then the gate valve. The second picture is side-view, close up of the gate valve. This is take from the "right side" of the first photo. You can barely see the drip of water on the underside of the valve. Probably a hairline crack?

This is causing me two issues:

1. If I want to run the AC, I have to open the valve and it drips, so I keep the valve closed and don't have AC.

2. I have a slight concern that the valve will fail even if it is closed. Although the "crack" or "hole" is on the "good side" of the ball valve, I don't like knowing that I have a bad valve here.

What is the experts' suggestions here on what to do NOW?

- Try and replace the valve while it is in the water?
- Remove the valve and put a plug somewhere?
- Seal it from the outside?
- Put some 5200 on the "hole" or "crack"
- Stop worrying and replace it in the fall?

Thanks in advance.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1279.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	44223   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1273.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	44224  

StanleyCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2012, 10:59   #2

Boat: Hylas 49
Re: Dripping valve at AC intake thruhull

I'm no expert but I would plug it from the outside with a tapered plug and replace it.
TheOffice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2012, 12:04   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

A couple of thoughts/concerns:

The photo doesn't really show where the leak is. I'd be concerned that you have more than a small leak, and that possibly the whole valve/unit is going south.

If I were confident of the thru hull fitting itself, I'd plug it from the outside, then replace all of the fittings, then open it back up again.

If you are REALLY gutsy, just take the whole thing out, and replace it while in the water. Just make sure you have the right size plugs in case it turns bad, and plenty of air tanks or a hookah. Put a whole new thru hull in, with plenty of sealant that will cure in the water.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2012, 12:10   #4

Boat: Heritage East 40

Dont mess with thru hulls. I would replace.
The Blue Heron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2012, 13:54   #5

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

I can't see the through hull very well, but if that is a pipe-thread elbow on a straight thread through hull, then you may be a thread or two away from a major water ingress surprise.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2012, 14:32   #6

when I see those valves attached to a thru hull I want to cry...

Get rid of that crap and get a real seacock/thru hull

SPARTAN makes REAL bronze thru hulls and seacocks

Bronze and Stainless Marine Hardware, Seacocks, Portholes, Thru Hulls - Spartan Marine Hardware and Accessories

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2012, 15:40   #7

Thanks for all the great comments. In remembering what it looks like from the outside, I am 99% sure that the seacock is a Groco Bronze Thru-Hull Scoop Strainer - see pic below. So plugging it in the water might not be so easy.

Also, I remember being told that ALL of the following must be below the waterline:

thru hull -> seacock -> hose -> Groko strainer -> hose -> pump

And all of this must run "uphill".

At the location of the seacock, the waterline is only about 12 inches from the hull, so I was told that is why they installed an elbow and a valve in that manor. If the seacock was placed inline with the thru hull, the top of the seacock would be too high to still plumb the Grocko strainer/hose/pump uphill from that, and still have everything be below the waterline.

Further complicating this, it looks like the thru hull might be 1.5" and the hose is much smaller, so there is a reduction fitting thrown in there. Why they put this thing into a 1.5" hole, I'll never know. Maybe they were using the existing hole from an unused transducer hole?

So ... the permanent solution, to me, is to get rid of my "crap" and get a seacock this is "low profile" enough to not end so high as to make the rest of the plumbing impossible to keep under the waterline.

Am I off base?

FYI, this is a catamaran sailboat, I do not run the AC underway

Attached Images

Old 31-07-2012, 16:10   #8

Boat: Moody 42

Where is it leaking? Threads or through the valve packing? It's a ball valve by the way.
Sailorman375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2012, 16:26   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorman375 View Post
Where is it leaking? Threads or through the valve packing? It's a ball valve by the way.
I added to the picture in the first post to indicate where it is dripping from. Here is the new pic.

That location appears to be the only place it is wet, so I suspect a crack. The threads and the stem are not wet. (edited based on questions from the next post).

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1273-modified.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	150.3 KB
ID:	44241  
Old 31-07-2012, 16:28   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

I think you need to figure out where the water is coming from. If something is cracked then it becomes urgent to replace it. If it's just leaking around the stem or from the threads, you might control it just by tightening things up.

I agree with the folks that don't like this set up and would replace it with a real flanged seacock as soon as practical. If you need to keep it low profile you could use a Groco Flanged adapter, street elbow, and ball valve. This is almost as good as a real seacock. It gives you a flange to fasten to the hull and avoids the problem of mating straight threads and tapered threads.
Groco Flanged Adapter IBVF

Old 31-07-2012, 18:25   #11

That's a rather odd place for a ball valve to be leaking (especially only when in the open position). I for one (others will disagree) don't think there is too much wrong with using a ball valve as long as there is no chance of stepping on and breaking. I know the threads are not correct, but many builders use this set up and it would be difficult to use a seacock and keep the low profile you need. I would replace the ball valve with another of the same size. Just make sure it's all bronze construction and does not have a stainless or worse, a chrome plated brass ball like Apollo. Yes it would be better to have a proper seacock, but that may not be possible with your installation. BUT...first I would dry the area and then open the valve and see if you can determine where the leak is.
Old 31-07-2012, 18:29   #12

By the way the suggestion to use the Groco thru hull with the flanged adaptor would probably work. You would place a street elbow on the adaptor then mount the ball valve to that. This is an expensive option though, but the best.
Old 31-07-2012, 18:34   #13

Another thought or two. I make my living selling valves for seawater service in the oil and gas industry and no major end user in my industry will use anything short of nickel aluminum bronze in seawater service. Some use only titanium. Non flowing seawater is highly corrosive. These valves however are way too expensive for boat builders, but they will last 20 years.
Old 31-07-2012, 19:31   #14

Boat: Custom Freya 20m
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorman375
Another thought or two. I make my living selling valves for seawater service in the oil and gas industry and no major end user in my industry will use anything short of nickel aluminum bronze in seawater service. Some use only titanium. Non flowing seawater is highly corrosive. These valves however are way too expensive for boat builders, but they will last 20 years.
Got a website for the company that do these?
Thnks
stillbuilding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2012, 21:33   #15

You can get nickel aluminum bronze ball valves, but no one makes compatible seacocks (don't want to mix metals). I have found titanium seacocks, but can't remember offhand who make them. Since the hulls of platforms are steel, they weld in intakes to a sea chest then manifold, then to valves. You can get titanium ball valves, but you talking some dollars. In small quantities you're looking at well over $500 each for an 1 1/2" valve. Blakes (UK) makes some nice seacocks with what I guess is Naval Bronze, but they could not tell me the UNS or ASTM number, but my original Blakes are over 20 years old and still work. If it were my boat and money was not an issue I'd go with the Blakes or Sparton, but again as long as you watch them the ASTM B-62 bronze you get in the States will last a good while Groco has a fairly good reputation, but have had some issues with bad product and some recalls. The Blakes are sold as a unit with the sea cock and the thru hull sold together. I think they are British thread and would not work with any of the US Brands. Neither the Sparton or the Blakes would work with the Groco flanged adaptor I don't think. So.....In your situation (requiring the 90) I'd either just get a good quality bronze ball valve with true bronze trim, or go with the Groco flanged adaptor, new thru hull and a new ball valve with the street elbow (making sure to get a bronze elbow of good quality. Watch out as many marine stores carry poor quality bronze fittings and I've even seen brass which is a no no. Don't trust anything made in China.