Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-01-2023, 16:22   #1

Downwind pole for Yankee jib

My boats a downeaster 32 17000lb displacement cruiser.
I'm looking to get a jib pole whisker pole etc not sure the correct term. I have a cutter rig with a Yankee jib. My j measure ment is 16ft.. I plan on mast mounting it on a track. I see Selden and forespar make telescoping poles. Do these tend to jam up or have problems? I'd like to get one solid pole just because I imagine the telescoping mechanism malfunctioning just like every boat hook I've ever owned. Any opinions?
Mg451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2023, 16:54   #2

Boat: Moody 376
Re: Downwind pole for Yankee jib

I have a high cut Genoa on my moody, with a foot length of 24’. I opted for a used telescopic So I don’t have to store such a large pole and eat up deck space

My telescopic pole is not a twist lock but a push button lock.

Nice thing about a telescopic is that you can alter the length and use it as a spin pole if you have a spin. Or to give you a better sheet angle if reaching and use it like a jockey pole
marcjsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2023, 16:58   #3

Who manufactured your pole?
Old 24-01-2023, 04:40   #4

Boat: Moody 376

i think its a forespar.... the other option would be a line controlled whisker pole.
marcjsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2023, 05:13   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

A racing standard spinnaker pole, with length equal to your J measurement, works fine for that. I don't personally like the telescoping poles -- they are inherently much weaker -- but I can see where they can help for storage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mg451 View Post
. . . I'd like to get one solid pole just because I imagine the telescoping mechanism malfunctioning just like every boat hook I've ever owned. Any opinions?

My thoughts exactly.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2023, 05:41   #6

One hell of a downeaster you got there! I've only owned and sailed an eastward ho24 and now my downeaster 32. Both great boats if your not in a hurry. You're boat looks amazing!
Old 24-01-2023, 05:41   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

If in any doubt, on a cruising boat the KISS option is generally the best and this is a solid whisker pole.

If you are concerned about management, stowage etc (and there is no need to be on most boats) a solid carbon (rather than aluminium) pole is an option.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2023, 05:43   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
If in any doubt, on a cruising boat the KISS option is generally the best and this is a solid whisker pole.

If you are concerned about management, stowage etc (and there is no need to be on most boats) a solid carbon (rather than aluminium) pole is an option.

Indeed. And carbon is the bee's knees for poles -- it is hard to describe how much easier and safer a carbon pole is to manage, than an alu one.

On the other hand -- all of these arguments are less and less strong, the smaller the boat. My pole is 8 meters long -- and I could definitely not handle it if it were alu, nor is a telescoping pole even feasible in that size (at least, they're not sold).

So you might want to take all of our comments with a grain of salt and see what people with boats your size are using. Maybe a telescoping pole is quite ok in that size.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Walt Whitman
Old 24-01-2023, 06:00   #9

My Google searches seem to only bring up selden and forespar telescoping. Who makes solid poles?
Old 24-01-2023, 06:03   #10

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
My pole is 8 meters long -- and I could definitely not handle it if it were alu, nor is a telescoping pole even feasible in that size (at least, they're not sold).

This would be the size of our pole and several years ago inquired at Forte about a custom carbon telescopic pole. They quoted a low, low price of ~$9K.
Will agree a solid pole would be the way to go, but for easier storage had to ask.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2023, 06:23   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill O View Post
This would be the size of our pole and several years ago inquired at Forte about a custom carbon telescopic pole. They quoted a low, low price of ~$9K.
Grand Prix boats no longer use poles much, as they are going so fast that they are nearly always sailing upwind by apparent wind, whatever the direction. For that reason, there are lots of used poles on the market. Mine came off a TP52, and cost peanuts (relative to 9k, anyway).

Another Moody 54 I know is also using a pole off a TP52. It's a "cheater pole" as it exceeds J by a couple of meters, but so useful it can be worth the penalty. Squared all the way forward almost touching the forestay, it acts like a bowsprit, allowing us to use our A2 as close as 60 apparent, with terrific results. Then swing it back when heading off, with no time lost re-rigging (other than popping out the jockey pole). The big A2 plus cheater pole is a killer combo. Works great with the yankee jib, too, to answer the OP's question.
Walt Whitman
Old 24-01-2023, 06:31   #12

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Thanks, will keep an eye out for one.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2023, 11:54   #13

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

A less expensive way to go is to purchase the end fittings (often available second hand from bent poles) and buy the tubing from a metals supplier in whatever length you want.

Last time I did this the cost was less than half that of a new commercial pole, and that was with new end fittings (all here in Australia).

Jim
Old 24-01-2023, 12:50   #14

Boat: Morgan 382

The choice between fixed (usually called a spinnaker pole) or telescoping (usually called a whisker pole) depends on sail size.

The larger the sail, the tighter the angle aft, and the smaller range of headings you will be able to sail. The telescoping pole gets the sail forward again. It is useful to be able to sail from 120 degrees port to 120 degrees starboard with out changing sail plan. With my 130% Genoa, I can only sail 150 degrees and deeper with a fixed length pole. With my 90% I can get to about 130 or so.

Particularly with the Genoa, it would be useful for me to have a telescoping pole to have a wider range to sail in.
Old 24-01-2023, 13:10   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholybee View Post
The choice between fixed (usually called a spinnaker pole) or telescoping (usually called a whisker pole) depends on sail size.
A whisker pole can be fixed or telescoping. It is more lightly constructed than a spinnaker pole.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jib, wind