Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-10-2020, 12:43   #1

Dometic SQUF18CK 220V AC unit

Can anyone explain how this factory installed Dometic Cruisair AC unit would corrode beyond repair in under 100 hours of use? This is on 2016 Riviera 445 that has done under 250 engine hours, 200 genset hours and the AC unit was seldom used on shore power.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0638.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	115.2 KB
ID:	226034   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0639.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	226035  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0641.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	226036  
Garthh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2020, 18:23   #2

Boat: Norseman 447
Re: Dometic SQUF18CK 220V AC unit

At the risk of sounding sarcastic, it rusted because it got wet. Even if you only used it once in four years. Once the rust started, it picked up enough moisture from the air to continue. Then you didn’t catch it soon enough.

On the other hand, you might well ask why they built a marine air conditioner with steel parts. But you’ll probably get the same answer that I got when I asked why the mild steel frame on my scuba diving compressor rusted away. I didn’t catch it either. After all, the frame was suitable for a basement in Chicago on a dry day. Or the aluminum base on my refrigerator compressor after a "minor" leak in the cockpit. Or the exhaust mixing elbow on my engine after 300 hours. Or the steel screws holding the "marine water pump" together. Or my marine stove which is all SS on the outside, while what’s left of the inside isn’t. Or ....

Manufacturers cut corners, or just don’t really pay attention to details. Stuff corrodes whether you use it or not. Scraping, sanding and painting are a continual job. I just figure it keeps me from breakfasting in the local bar.
Bycrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2020, 12:09   #3

You are correct but there are Consumer laws about durability here.
If a product doesn't meet a reasonable life if used as specified the law says it must be repaired or replaced by the manufacturer. I'll try that angle with Dometic.
Wish me luck!
Garthh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2020, 16:00   #4

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthh View Post
You are correct but there are Consumer laws about durability here.
If a product doesn't meet a reasonable life if used as specified the law says it must be repaired or replaced by the manufacturer. I'll try that angle with Dometic.
Wish me luck!

The only way the compressor can rust at the base like you show is through inadequate condensate drainage. This isn’t dometics problem. It’s the installers and the individual who ran the unit without checking the condensate levels occasionally.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote