Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-04-2024, 18:19   #106

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft
Re: Docking long keel/heavy displacement yachts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacod View Post
Hi Coopec.

any chance of a picture from bow on? If I understand your berth, you have no cleats or access to anything solid on the starboard side, correct?

!

I'll look for a photo and if I find it I will post it.
Thanks for you help.
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2024, 18:25   #107

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

Thanks guys for your advice!

The message is loud and clear - -practice, practice and more practice.

Actually I think I am worrying unnecessarily as my Son docked the yacht with no trouble in an unfamiliar berth once it was rigged. I think the guy at the helm last Sunday got into trouble when he stopped Helen dead in the water and therefore had no steering.

Thanks everyone for your advice.
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2024, 21:32   #108

Boat: Volkscruiser

Cooopec 43 even with all that practice some days docking is still going to be a challenge. So many elements come into play and even the most experienced skippers have a bad day or two. Same with leaving the dock, more times than I can count on various boats we have backed down the marina channel until we are in clear water to spin around.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2024, 04:29   #109

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
Not sure how you would use a springline when trying to dock a boat stern first. Leaving the dock is another matter altogether.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
You back in, add the spring line, then power forward against it to pull the boat against the dock and give you time to get the rest of the lines secured.

And/or sometimes use a forward spring -- perhaps on an aft or aft-midship cleat -- to warp the stern in between the outer piles...

A spring (as the boat moves astern) can pull the boat nicely up to a T-head or finger pier... and a forward spring makes a good "brake" line in a 4-way slip... so you don't ram the stern too firmly against the main dock once you're all the way in.

-Chris
Old 14-04-2024, 07:21   #110

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger58sb View Post
And/or sometimes use a forward spring -- perhaps on an aft or aft-midship cleat -- to warp the stern in between the outer piles...

A spring (as the boat moves astern) can pull the boat nicely up to a T-head or finger pier... and a forward spring makes a good "brake" line in a 4-way slip... so you don't ram the stern too firmly against the main dock once you're all the way in.

-Chris
Agreed. I do like to get a spring on quickly to prevent the boat drifting forward/back into the dock in a slip even if it's not a spring I'm planning to power against. But I don't like relying on a spring to stop the boat, I prefer to do that with power. With a spring, you've got 1 shot and if you miss, you hit the dock. Stopping with power is generally more controlled in my opinion, especially in windy conditions where you may be carrying more speed (and a hard jerk against a spring line can cause the boat to twist significantly in the slip depending on cleat placement).
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
displacement, dock, Docking, keel, men, yacht