Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-12-2020, 09:57   #16

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Re: Do you need a 800W cheap wood router?

You get what you pay for, often less seldom more.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2020, 10:42   #17

Boat: Alajuela 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopec43 View Post
I need to do a bit more wood routing to finish off the yacht but one of my routers has carked it. I checked out eBay yesterday and found I can buy one for around $28.

The router is being sold as "unbranded" but they look awfully much like the Makita 3707f. What do you think? (Maybe the Makita is slightly taller?.......Maybe not)

They won't last long at this price!

http://pdfstream.manualsonline.com/0...cb8eab79fb.pdf

https://www.banggood.com/110V-or-220...e=CN&ID=523698

https://www.stonetools.ie/wood-trimm...t-makita-3707f

https://www.ebay.com/c/1204467607

Are you suggesting that this may be a Makita manufactured “unbranded” tool?
japawil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2020, 10:53   #18

I got a Porter-Cable trim router like that at a pawn shop for $25. They had 3 of them with good brand names. Even had a carbide tip in it!
The Trim Router has enough power for everything I do and easier to handle.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2020, 11:17   #19

If you bought a router for $28 it is Chinese. I’ve been using one just like it. It’s been fine except the depth adjustment is poorly crafted and it gets very very hot. Too hot to hold in your hand after a couple of minutes use. If mounting to a table, shouldn’t be a problem.
Near2KR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2020, 12:24   #20

I was/am poor my whole life. I bought the cheapest circular saw at Sears back then. A Craftsman 7-1/4inch. Built sheds, fences, furniture, whatever had to be cut. Then 1 day I bought a Makita blue circular saw for $15 at a garage sale. The shaft bearing was growling but it worked so much better than the cheap new Craftsman I couldn't believe it.
I purchased a new shaft bearing for $10 and its as good as new. Have made thousands of cuts with it. KIck myself for using the mediocre all those years. I would bet that the cheap router will not have the guts to do a good job on your parts. Will overheat, chatter, or any number of things just not quite good. Life is too short to try and make do with crappy tools. Like the cheap bench drill press from arbor freight. It got me through my cabinet door hinge drilling ok. But now the damned thing won't hardly drill at all and the spindle stops-the motor not the belt spinning, and the depth stop bends when ou put any pressure on it-so not reliable depth control. Wish I had bought a more expensive and quality tool now!
Sailormanbigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2020, 13:24   #21
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

I have one of those Chinese finishing routers /laminate trimmers , does the job , doesn’t get hot , works well.

Would I use it as a professional , no of course not , but for me I might use it 6 times a year , it’s great
Old 25-12-2020, 13:33   #22

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
I have one of those Chinese finishing routers /laminate trimmers , does the job , doesn’t get hot , works well.

Would I use it as a professional , no of course not , but for me I might use it 6 times a year , it’s great
Exactly.

And I’ll be using the same for my entire interior of my boat. I’ll definitely report back on how it holds up.

If the cheap drills and table saws are any indication, I’ll be giving it away before it gives out. (Can’t bring all the building tools with me )
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2020, 13:38   #23

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

JMHO, Craftsmen at one time was a good product, that is long gone.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2020, 14:05   #24

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post

I agree.

When I use a router i do multiple light cuts and the job is done in a minute or two. (It never gets the chance to overheat). And, like you, I don't use it constantly.

But I used my Makita hand saw to cut up my lead ingots and that was heavy going. At one stage I wondered why it wasn't cutting too well and on inspection I found one of the teeth on the blade had folded back. Now that I've finished the ballast I'll put a new blade on and see how it goes cutting wood again.
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2020, 14:07   #25

Boat: Westerly Fulmar 32

I have a small dewalt on my boat, it is definitely worthwhile. Especially if it’s a worn out old boat like mine... keep the bits in a oiled bag.
Steven UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2020, 14:23   #26

I do buy cheap knock off tools and they get the job done. I also have quality power hand tools that have lasted decades. You get what you pay for.
keyway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2020, 14:27   #27

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewt View Post
After this past year i have totally stopped buying any cheap Chinese crap!

Newton Collyar
Major USMC Ret

Totally agree, now I concentrate on expensive Chinese crap. There's not much else out there.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2020, 17:50   #28

Boat: Custom 31' rigid wing cat

This thread was worth reading just to learn the term "carked it".

In the US, tools that used to be predictably reliable can be iffy, given the consolidation of cheap brands with good brands and the pressures to pinch pennies. I generally buy Dewalt, Milwakee, and Porter tool, but have had a lot of good luck with off brands too. I have an off brand power hacksaw that uses exactly the same castings as the Hitachi version (now Metabo), and it has been flawless for more than a decade. Came with replacement brushes, which I have yet to install. For $28, seems you could hardly go wrong.
Ken Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2020, 18:31   #29

Yesterday I had the whole family home for Christmas and I happily told my Son I'd bought a new router for $28!!

He said "Oh no you didn't did you because I bought a huge one for $50 brand new (still in the box)" The story was that this guy's Father was going to show him how to use it but the Father died and the Son lost interest.

I asked my Son if his was 1500-1800W and he said "It would be a bigger than that"

It never rains but it pours!
Old 26-12-2020, 03:01   #30

The 800W router is obviously a blatant copy of a Makita 3707f router. But why the sudden dumping of the router at prices that couldn't be profitable?

I'm wondering if it could possibly be something to do with this?

January 21, 2020 GT Alert

Impact of the China-U.S. Trade Deal on Intellectual Property Protection

"American agricultural and energy exports and eliminating certain agricultural health standards that were previously seen as a barrier to trade with the United States. China also agreed to overhaul its scheme of intellectual property protection as it relates to trade secrets, trademarks, counterfeiting, and piracy. Further, China plans to make several signi

Tags
cheap, route, wood