Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-02-2010, 05:00   #16

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun
I do my own prop/zinc work, but let the monthly service clean the bottom. Not surprising, I don't mow my lawn either!

I use a 60' hose connected to a tank on-board. I have 2 tanks and rotate them. Cost: used tank ~$100, hose ~$140, tank refills $5 plus annual & 5 year maintenance. Couldn't justify the hookah for bottom work and would rather have the freedom of tanks for normal diving.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2010, 05:16   #17

Boat: 1990 Ericson 32-200
Send a message via Skype™ to DennisM
I have been diving for 45 years. I dive with sharks on purpose, without a cage. Here's a photo from my dive with Tiger Sharks off the coast of Durban, South Africa in 2008...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TigerRobSm.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	13510  
DennisM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2010, 05:42   #18

Boat: Parkins Herreshoff 28
ill just keep my mouth shut and see if anyone else calls b.s., but if that is you and that is real... what kind off wheelbarrow do you use to carry your balls around?
pressuredrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2010, 05:51   #19

You can call b.s. all you want. You'd be wrong. I have dived with Tigers off Durban, Blues and Makos off Cape Town, and last year with Great Whites off the coast of Struisbaai. Here's a shot of a Great White using his mouth to "sense" the electrical impulses given off by the outboards, and another better look at his length...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P3180249.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	407.2 KB
ID:	13512   Click image for larger version

Name:	P3181084.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	415.2 KB
ID:	13513  

Old 25-02-2010, 05:53   #20

Another shot of me diving among a bunch of Black Tips... Still think it's b.s.?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DM4BlkTips2Sm.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	13514  
Old 25-02-2010, 05:56   #21

One last Tiger Shark shot. Here a Black Tip is angry with a Tiger who has gone for the bait drum. The Black Tip is actually biting the Tiger's pectoral fin. You can see the size difference between the two species...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BlkTipBitesTigerSm.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	156.1 KB
ID:	13515  
Old 25-02-2010, 06:07   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Back to the topic of hull cleaning, changing zincs & diving,- it's true that the scuba gear can take too much space. We clean our hull and change our shaft zinc with snorkel gear only. Carefully timing intervals of the task can allow this to be completed with intervals of holding your breath for only 80 seconds. We are typically cruising in warm waters of Florida and the Bahamas and "watching the critters" in depths less than 15 feet. Anyway, the point to be made is that maintenance cleaning and some simple tasks do not require extensive gear. Take care and joy, Aythya crew
Hudson Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2010, 07:21   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisM View Post
You can call b.s. all you want. You'd be wrong. I have dived with Tigers off Durban, Blues and Makos off Cape Town, and last year with Great Whites off the coast of Struisbaai. Here's a shot of a Great White using his mouth to "sense" the electrical impulses given off by the outboards, and another better look at his length...
Reminds me of that guy in Alaska that tried living with the grizzly bears, but whatever turns you on my friend. I think you are nuts, but I'm sure some people have said the same thing about me...
jholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2010, 07:29   #24

Boat: Nordhavn 47
I see a lot of people are changing zincs in the water. Is it a common thing to change your zincs more then you need haul out and paint the bottom? Mine seem to last and now I am worried that something may be funky.

Jim
jkleins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2010, 07:33   #25

Boat: Eagle 40
I purchased all of my gear including a 7mil wetsuit from Craigs's list. I had the regulator and tank inspected and repaired and i put a 25' hose from the tank to the mouthpiece so that I don't have to carry the tank. Total cost $400.
Mike
mvthankful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2010, 07:35   #26

I have no problem with having my sanity questioned. My veracity, however, is another matter.

I need to say in defense of sharks that they are not the mindless killing machines they are made out to be in the movies. They are beautiful, sentient creatures, and I consider it an honor and a privilege to swim among them. I have never felt threatened in their midst.
Old 25-02-2010, 07:38   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
My boat and most of my neighbors seem to need once a year but one of the boats near us needs them every couple of months. I had a discussion last night with someone who opined the problem can sometimes be a wire hanging below the floats of the dock and wearing so there's a flow. Some of us use "sacrificial" zincs wired to the motor and hanging over the side while at dock that are cheaper then the good ones.
hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2010, 08:56   #28
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkleins View Post
Is it a common thing to change your zincs more then you need haul out and paint the bottom? Mine seem to last and now I am worried that something may be funky.
If your anodes are not depleting, then they are not working. Here in the Bay Area, 6-9 months is typical zinc lifespan. Salinity, boat usage, shore power issues, electrical problems aboard your boat (or a neighbor's) all can play a part in how long your zincs last. If you are in freshwater, you should be using magnesium or aluminum anodes, not zinc. FYI.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2010, 09:45   #29

Hi Congrates on the diving quals, diving has been my life and at 50 still dive often, an ex clearance diver(Aust Navy) a Commercial diver and PADI Dive Master, I have really gotten into underwater video and still digital photos, I have been diving since I was 16 and still amazed at what I see every time I dive.

I like to dive scuba with a tank on my back as hooker takes up to much room on a Catamaran, also the current is constantly pulling on the air line.

I would suggest having scuba cylinders to dive , but when cleaning maintaining boat to use a cylinder with a cheap foam noodle tied off to it for bouyancy of the cylinder and you can buy a 5m long regulator, this way you could leave cylinder on boat and access the rudder prop easily or float the cylinder on the noodle and have plenty of line to clean the boat.

Taking photos and video makes you invinsible while underwater, just try and get a good close up of a shark, as soon as you start swimming towards them for the close up, they think your going to have a go at them so swim off, this even happens with larger sharks, its best to be in that situation with several other divers.

I use a shark shield when doing still shots as I have found myself so engrossed in taking photos that I'm not looking around and watching out whats happening around me, only to find some huge groper a couple of feet away from me, sharks like Tigers will take creatures that are not paying attention like turtles, they then become meals.

So the shark sheild is insurance for me even thou I'm not scared of sharks, I do have plenty of respect for them thou.

Any way I can talk for hours on this subject, so happy diving and cruising.

Regards Terry
ozdownunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2010, 09:50   #30

Boat: 1988 Brewer Three Seas 40' Pilothouse
Our zincs are gone in 9-10 months, plus I like to clean the bottom and prop on a regular basis.
jrd22 is offline   Reply With Quote