Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-10-2011, 16:27   #1

Boat: Hunter Cherubini 25'
Question Do You Buy Parts from eBay ?

I'm curious how many of you use ebay as a supply source for your replacement parts. I've seen a lot of items on there for what seems to be pretty good prices. Do you use ebay regularly and have you been happy with what you find there? Are there regular sellers you deal with? What are some of the items I should steer clear of when I'm online shopping?

Thanks to all!
BareFtGrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 16:32   #2

Boat: Cal 2-30
Re: ebay??

I picked up some cabin lights from greatlakesskipper. Worked out fine.
crashkahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 17:00   #3

Boat: islandpacket

genuinedealz is great also has there own site GenuineDealz.com - Marine Electrical, Boat Wire & Cable, Custom Battery Cables

Generally I have been happy with ebay. I have found that I need to read things real carefully and ask questions. the best ones seem to list lots of info and several photos and are upfront about everything. Don't forget to check shipping as often it is excessive. The only problems I have had are when I didn't read it all, or the seller was vague.
Old 09-10-2011, 17:29   #4

Boat: Tartan 30

What he said...

Takes a little extra research, but can often find the best deals. Especially on used stuff. I've also purchased from genuinedealz (through ebay) and had good experience.

Sometimes I buy electronics and things directly from china, since thats where they all come from anyway... 10x cheaper than retail. Takes a few extra weeks for shipping, but always been satisfied.

For brand new items, i usually find better deals on amazon, or take advantage of sales at a marine shop (online). But for used stuff, chinese stuff, and out-dated stuff, ebay is my first stop.
Old 09-10-2011, 17:35   #5
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat

As a seller....some potential buyer want something for nothing

I have listed some items at 50% off of retail

New items....but cluttering up my limited storage

Then again I have listed some sailing hardware real cheap

and the bidding went thru the roof....so to speak

BTW how do get stuff from China (link?)

My best buy recently was a Cummins Upper eng gasket Kit.

Close to $300.00 from Cummins....$108 plus shipping

UPS got it to me from Canada in 1 1/2 days.
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 17:39   #6

Thanks! I really like that GenuineDealz site. Seems that GreatLakesSkipper is mostly for powerboats but he sure has a lot of stuff on his site too that I'm sure people are really looking for. I'm bookmarking them both!
Old 09-10-2011, 17:42   #7

Do you think running rigging would be a good buy on ebay? How about block and tackle?
Old 09-10-2011, 17:58   #8
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau TW28 Long Cabin

I've gotten probably 80% of the materials for my boat project from e-Bay. I have made better deals directly with some suppliers. My favorite tool is TheFind - Every Store, All at Once it's not totally comprehensive yet but it's getting better. Amazon is pretty good for small consumables like crimp fittings, wire, etc.

I've bought from Great Lakes Skipper quite a few times. Good dealer. Not exactly cheap but you have to watch the shipping costs. I've got about 30 marine sellers on ebay in my favorites if you really want the whole list.

If you use ebaymotors.com you'll get different results when you search so best bet is to use ebay.com first.

If you like the auctions vs the "buy it now" stuff I suggest www.ezsniper.com I haven't lost an auction yet.
knottybuoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 18:01   #9

Boat: Tartan 30

the trick is to not bid until the very last few seconds, then put you're max bid in.
You'll always win unless someone else has a higher max bid, but then you wouldn't have won anyway.
Old 09-10-2011, 18:05   #10

WooHoo! Good stuff!! I want to replace some of what I've got on the boat. Partially because I want to learn how to do it...and also because our first boat is to be handed down to our daughter and her hubby so it's not like any of our invested money, time, learning experience, will go to waste. I can't thank you enough for the help! And...we're going to have a real blast this year at the St. Pete boat show because we'll really understand what it is that we're looking at while we're in the vendor tents.
Old 09-10-2011, 18:11   #11

Boat: Columbia 41

I have bought a number of items from ebay. Got a new polished 45 lb stainless steel plow anchor for $250. Also lots of dock line and anchor rode. Two propand shipmate cabin heaters complete; lots of books and a real nice WW2 vintage like-new sextant. So, as everyone says, read carefully and know the regular retail price of things so you know if you are getting a deal.
Sam Plan B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 19:32   #12

Boat: looking
Re: Do You Buy Parts From ebay ?

I've spent over $40k on E-bay, since 2005, mostly classic cars/trucks/parts, but some on boat gear over the past 6 months. Two suggestions; always look at the sellers reputation - if it's less than 100% read the neg comments & look at the rep of the ones who are complaining - and, check the shipping costs on each item before bidding.
bangkaboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 19:33   #13

Boat: None, at the moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by BareFtGrl View Post
I'm curious how many of you use ebay as a supply source for your replacement parts. I've seen a lot of items on there for what seems to be pretty good prices. Do you use ebay regularly and have you been happy with what you find there? Are there regular sellers you deal with? What are some of the items I should steer clear of when I'm online shopping?
I use ebay for many things (both buying and selling). You need to be cautious, apply some common sense, and avoid emotional buying (bidding). If that is done, ebay is a great source.
Undadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 19:40   #14

Boat: Columbia 41

If you are looking for something specific and it does not come up on a search send the sellor an email. They may have what you want in the back room. I replaced all my original hollow aluminum cleats with new polished stainless steel. The sellor's main line of products was claw food bathtubs. Go figure. I would be careful about electronics like an eperb where hour life may depend on it working. But that's just me.
Sam Plan B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 04:19   #15

Re: Do You Buy Parts from eBay ?

as a seller on ebay,where does anyone go(first) for that vintage or hard to find item.
most important,,,ASK questions!
quitfishing is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
parts