Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-11-2017, 19:38   #1

do i need to grind out bubbles in fiberglass bulkhead tabbing?

I'm putting in some plywood bulkheads, stringers, bunks, counters, and things, an I was wondering if having some bubbles in the fiberglass tabbing is going to be any sort of problem. Here are some pictures. I was wondering: leave them ?or should I grind them with my dremel and then .... leave the bare spots, put little patches of 1708, or something else? I'm not worried about strength, I don't think, because I used two layers of 1708 and its only a 20 foot sailboat. I am more worried about: is it going to do something and make the interior of the boat wear faster? Thank you in advance for any advice you may have.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171107_173048.jpg
Views:	883
Size:	401.4 KB
ID:	158938   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171107_173105 (1).jpg
Views:	757
Size:	409.4 KB
ID:	158939  

sailormanbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 19:51   #2

Boat: S2 9.1
Re: do i need to grind out bubbles in fiberglass bulkhead tabbing?

They should not be an issue, just sand it down smooth and paint it, should look ok.
Gary Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 03:34   #3

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

Gary Mc, if you used two layers of chopmat, and you have large air bubbles in between them, strength is reduced, maybe not by factor of 50% but fairly close to that. By grinding the top off, you are removing one layer, strength will be certainly less than 50% of a good 2 layer-layup. Note: multi layer layup is always more then the adding up of the strength of one layer.

If it was my boat I would grind the air bubbles out and apply another fresh layer over the top. Cost is very little, just more time. Sigh, will the work never stop? If there are only one or two little bubbles, maybe grind them off and finish with whatever you were planning to do, ie flowcoat.

On edit: Sorry, do not know what '1708' is.
Another thought, for load bearing stuff, two layers may not be enough, assuming you are using 450 g/M2 or similar chopmat?

On edit#2: Is '1708' a bi-axial tape with mat stitched to that? If both are relative heavy, then 2 layers maybe enough, but I am not sure. I used bi-axial cloth but not with this name.
Old 08-11-2017, 04:45   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailormanbob View Post
I'm putting in some plywood bulkheads, stringers, bunks, counters, and things, an I was wondering if having some bubbles in the fiberglass tabbing is going to be any sort of problem. Here are some pictures. I was wondering: leave them ?or should I grind them with my dremel and then .... leave the bare spots, put little patches of 1708, or something else? I'm not worried about strength, I don't think, because I used two layers of 1708 and its only a 20 foot sailboat. I am more worried about: is it going to do something and make the interior of the boat wear faster? Thank you in advance for any advice you may have.
that crappy pine plywood will rot out and delaminate, if not painted properly long before the bubbles become a problem
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 07:07   #5

Boat: Privilege 435

You've done a good job and small bubbles, as seen in your photo, are not an issue at all. They will always happen on bends and around corners and the only way to prevent them is to roll your wet glass with a barrel roller but I don't bother with one unless I need a smooth finish. For tabbing bulkheads and similar, a brush or roller is fine. The ply you used is also not really an issue as long as it is fully encapsulated in resin and cloth. It will last longer than you and I.
Privilege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 08:05   #6

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202
Thumbs up Re: do i need to grind out bubbles in fiberglass bulkhead tabbing?

Grind what you can, they will draw water.
If you think strength is an issue, reinforce. Otherwise,just recoat with resin.
It is a bulkhead,and wood.
Once you paint, you'll forget that.
Next time if you get bubbles, just cut them open before the resin kicks, and roll out
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 08:44   #7

Looks like you need a roller to roll out bubbles. They are cheap.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	00129_popup.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	158959  

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 09:25   #8

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

I can't tell from the pics. I'd guess the bubbles are at the joining points (corners) in the future put in filets prior to glassing or radius the up side of the ply if that's wear the problem is.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 11:54   #9

Boat: (none)

Looks like a lot of conflicting answers... might I suggest wandering over to Boatworks Today's website and ask him? https://www.boatworkstoday.com/
Hope that's not against the rules to post the link, sorry if it is; feel free to remove it. He's got a utube channel too, lots of good glassing information!
Good Luck!
farmall.dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 12:53   #10

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

Sailorman, another approach that I learned while completely glassing my boat these last couple of weeks is this:

1. Find the highest point in the bubble. Take a small drill...and drill into the hole from a vertical axis...
2. Take a syringe with catalyzed resin and inject it into that void until it overflows. Allow the resin to harden. Sand off the miniscule drips.

You have plenty of strength with what you have done. Glass and resin and mat...An elephant couldn't crush that box.

This will strengthen the void considerably and you will avoid the grinder shizzle flying everywhere. Corners are not very much fun anyways.

Much good advice about rolling out already given. Make sure all of your edges of the ply are sealed with at least resin. But I like to use 3/4 oz chopped strand mat. It is very easy to work edges with...and easy to sand down for a smooth surface and get a more polished look. But really not that necessary for edges. But Atoll is correct that the edges need to be sealed or you will have grief later when she swells on you.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 05:23   #11

Boat: Tayana FD-12

Folks usually reffer to those bubbles as poor workmanship. Need to do a better job of wetting out glass. Another issue sometimes is the unsaturated glass. Properly wetted glass is completely see through. Any opaque areas could be bubbles or unwetted glass or fairing compound like bondo.
phorvati is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fiberglass, head