Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2012, 08:13   #16

Boat: csy 37
Re: DIY Boatyard in Florida, need liveaboard amenities

Bottom redone, topsides painted
Deck hardware rebedded, deck painted
Ports replaced with Newfound Metals Ports
Thru Hulls replaced (3 plugged or glassed over as well)
Solar panels, wind charging etc installed

sorry, windsong, i should have mentioned this.

all the work you want to do is easily possible to do at westland. you won't need to buy anything from them. if you heavy sand or spray paint you will need to tarp the boat. if you lightly sand and brush paint, no problem. i heavy sanded and just bought some big blue tarps and suspended them from the lifelines to cover the hull. the yard was satisfied with that.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 13:22   #17

Boat: 35' Pearson sloop

Anyone hear of Riverside Marina in Fort Pierce Fl.
lesterbutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 14:04   #18

Boat: 88 36' Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thin Line View Post
Hello,

I"ve used the search function but have not been able to find exactly what I was looking for and hoped the think tank here might be able to assist me.

My wife and I have a 1978 Endeavour 32 that is in need of some work before we are ready to take her cruising that includes some of the following..

Bottom redone, topsides painted
Deck hardware rebedded, deck painted
Ports replaced with Newfound Metals Ports
Thru Hulls replaced (3 plugged or glassed over as well)
Solar panels, wind charging etc installed

Basically a lot of work and I plan on doing most of it myself.

What I am looking for is a boatyard that allows DIY work but also has skilled workers to assist or do a project I can't or find over my head. In addition to this though I need a boatyard that allows liveaboards and has some facilities like restrooms, showers etc. I'm also not opposed to a boatyard right near a campground where we can set up camp for a few months as we work on the boat.
I'm planning on best case scenario of 2 months, but more realistically 3 to 4 months.

Our ulitimate home destination is Marathon once shes floating and we finish the major stuff. I am open to just about anywhere in Florida, maybe even other areas if the location offered more opportunity (we will also be working at part time jobs just to help out)

I just need an honest fair place to work on my boat without hidden fees, nickle and dimers, where I can live and work for a few months. Just some facilities like showers,bathrooms. If anybody can help with suggestions I'd appreciate it. Price is a consideration but what I need is more important than saving a couple dollars.

Someone suggested a place called Out of the Blue Marina in Marathon but they don't even have a website.

We found our boat on the hard in Riverside Marina, Fort Pierce, FL. They have a bazillion DIY'ers as well as skilled workman available for some things. Sally is awesome to deal with and Bruce is the yard mechanic. He's a grumpy old salt but good and reasonably priced. They have very basic facilities (read .... scary bathroom/showers) but it's a boat yard, not a full blown marina. I know it's not Marathon but having been in and around Marathon, nothing is reasonable there.
flblowfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2017, 07:35   #19

Boat: Gulfstar 36 MS

I keep Bonaventure at Riverside. Sally, Sue and jason are great people. Showers remind me of a campground and are generally clean, but hot as no AC. Not far to a Publix, ace hardware and west marine.
Outlaw7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2017, 09:53   #20

Boat: 88 36' Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw7 View Post
I keep Bonaventure at Riverside. Sally, Sue and jason are great people. Showers remind me of a campground and are generally clean, but hot as no AC. Not far to a Publix, ace hardware and west marine.

Are you on the hard there?
flblowfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2018, 14:27   #21

Boat: Westerly Fulmar 32

To keep this old thread going i have contacted some of the marina's mentioned in this and other threads about putting a boat in the DIY yard and sleeping on it. so far its been a no-go, is this still a thing or do you have to be coy about it... i.e. 'will people mind if i work late into the night and early morning and rest my eyes for a few minutes in between...?'

also I need somewhere within a days sail of Miami.

Marathon Marina cant have liveaboard on the hard,
Green Cove Springs is too far North,
Riverside Marina looks promising and i will call tomorrow.

Best Regards Steven
Steven UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2018, 10:59   #22

any suggestion gratefully received...

i am calling these places but the problem is getting actual experiences from people who have stayed in these places. and some of the information is contradictory.
Old 01-12-2018, 01:15   #23

Riverside marina Fort Pierce it is then... anyone in the area January?
Old 01-12-2018, 06:17   #24

Boat: 39' Whitesell Ketch

I hauled at Cracker Boy W. Palm Beach a couple of years ago and stayed aboard.
There were a couple of negatives:

Come along at slack water, the current runs by very fast.
I hurt myself and had to hire help. While most of the staff were very nice and professional, one lady (a manager?) interjected when I was in the office. She told me that the paint I wanted was no longer available (not true) and strongly suggested hiring a specific painting contractor instead of the yard people. She stated that the prices would be "comparable". Also not true, the paint and labor were 30% higher in price, and the contractor attempted to over-bill beyond that.

I'm not saying to stay away, but I do suggest checking all prices in advance, and getting written estimates.
WanderingStar39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 18:34   #25
Kxt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven UK View Post
Riverside marina Fort Pierce it is then... anyone in the area January?
I'll be in the area come January, seeing as I have months of work left to do on the old boat! Riverside is 100% a "you get what you pay for" place. I've heard good experiences and bad experiences with the yard and staff. Every boat owner I've talked to has been really friendly though . Hit me up if you need any help
Kxt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 07:43   #26

Boat: Kanter 52' cutter

Steven......if Riverside does not suit you, and I have done haul outs there, when you arrive, try Indiantown marina.....much better working yard and nice campground adjacent to yard. Great prices and qualified working help. We live in Stuart Florida but are currently cruising in Mexico. Best luck!!!
sailnautilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 06:55   #27

Boat: Gulfstar 36 MS

Flblowfish and Kxt, yes I am on he hard on the right when you make the bend on the north end of the yard, 36 Gulfstar.
Outlaw7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 08:25   #28

Boat: Hunter Passage 42

We just left Charlotte Harbor Boat Storage in Placida, Florida Oct. 12th. We arrived there June 5th. and it was a great place. We did leave several times for extended trips. I think they are changing some of their stay aboard requirements\options. They do have a sister yard that allows live aboards J & R is the name of that yard. So you might look at that yard instead. This is on the west coast in Charlotte Bay.

Hope this helps.
sguerrero1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 11:14   #29

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Riverside bloatware is fantastic, be aware there are 2 business entities working there in the same yard. They both use similar riverside Marina, names. but make sure you use Sally and her sister, I would steer very far away from Tim. If you Google the yards I forgot so etc especially you end up with Tim's number and you really do not want to use him. He lies, steals, has a lift that is constantly broken and cannot be trusted.
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2019, 22:12   #30

Cracker boys a great spot. Ignore the location lol. Ive done several haulouts there they have all amenities and walking distance to publix walgreen etc. I thiught they were pricey then i looked at others. Still more than i wanna spend to block up but its a good spot
JoeandJamoDog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida, liveaboard