Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-03-2020, 09:42   #16

Re: Disheartening Day

Is the key deformed? Is the keyway wallowed out?

While in the process of replacing a dripless shaft seal and having a prop repaired, I ended up finding a litany of issues. The key was severely deformed. They keyway on both the shaft and the coupler was wallowed out and someone had drilled the coupler and the shaft to install what looked like 2 set screws, but were actually a workaround/replacement for the key/keyway.

The prop shop condemned the key, coupler and shaft (the shaft was also slightly bent). They wouldn't even attempt to rotate it.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 10:40   #17

Boat: Beneteau 331

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
Is the key deformed? Is the keyway wallowed out?
I don't know yet. I was just happy to get the set screws loose to get the shaft out. Next weekend I take the coupler out.

Then the hole kit and kaboddle goes to the shop I found. Here's hoping that the keyway in the coupler is OK.
Tmacmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2020, 15:15   #18

Well, good news. The rudder came out with a bit of work. (Thank goodness for the strength of two 20 something year olds.

It turns out the shaft is made of bronze? Brass? A quick google says a SS steel replacement is a good thing.

True?
Old 14-03-2020, 15:31   #19

Boat: Nordic 44

Yes, Aquamet 22 stainless is much stronger and harder than bronze. It would not have worn that way - it would have sheared the set screw first. If you can't find someone locally to do the job talk to Crowley's yacht yard in Chicago. They might do these themselves or at least recommend someone to do the job. You will probably need to send the prop and the coupler to the machine shop to make sure they do it right.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2020, 14:26   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormalong View Post
Yes, Aquamet 22 stainless is much stronger. If you can't find someone locally to do the job talk to Crowley's yacht yard in Chicago.
This weekend was full of discovery and of course one issue leads to another, and another, and another, and.... soon this boat will never get in the water. So here are my questions.

1) The machine shop here sells the Aquamet line of line of shafts. Do I need Aquanet 22? They sell other types of Aquamet, what are the differences? This is a fresh water boat. I don't expect to own it for the next 15 years.

2) I removed the cap from the stuffing box and found swirls in the lip seen below. What is your feedback? Clearly the shaft has run against it. Does it need replacement. What caused it?

3) Its not a great photo but you can see the stuffing box body and hose with a green stripe on it. I am guessing this is a "since you are in there you might as well change it" thing. How hard will it be to cut? What is it connected to on the boat end? Metal? Is Shields 250 sufficient for this application?

Thanks as always.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2683.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	367.5 KB
ID:	210697   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2675.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	427.1 KB
ID:	210698  

Old 16-03-2020, 14:42   #21
rbk

Boat: T37

Don't cheap out and re-use your old coupler (sounds like you are from above post). They are cheap and should not be re-used again and again, more so with the ordeal you've been through. Get a new split coupler and have it faced and fitted to the shaft.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2020, 14:49   #22

Boat: Nordic 44

The stuffing box is fine. The swirls probably mean that the shaft or the hose was out of alignment. The wear looks insignificant. Use Teflon packing to replace whatever was in there. I have a PSS but people who know always say to use Teflon.

If it were me I would go with the Aquamet 22. The machining costs will be the same so why scrimp on the materials. How much more is it?

Shields 250 is great for this application. That is a light duty for that tough a hose. But if you don't replace the stuffing box just leave the existing hose in place.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2020, 14:58   #23

Boat: Heritage West Indies 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmacmi View Post

1) The machine shop here sells the Aquamet line of line of shafts. Do I need Aquanet 22?

2) Does it need replacement? What caused it?

3) How hard will it be to cut? What is it connected to on the boat end? Metal?
These things are always a matter of opinion. For my part:

1) No, but if you can get something decent locally I'd probably go that route myself.

2) It was most likely caused by the fact that your old shaft was bent, so didn't run true. Did it leak? If not then there's no reason it should start leaking now once you've replaced the shaft for one that runs true. I wouldn't replace it myself.

3) I'm not sure what you're considering cutting... The hose? The stuffing box? Half an hour with an angle grinder will tackle most things.......

What's at the boat end? You mean the shaft log perhaps? Could be metal, could be fiberglass. The hose may or may not be sealed onto it with adhesive sealant as well as being hose-clamped. Either way, slicing it off with a knife is usually the best approach I find. But, I probably wouldn't replace it myself.
DefinitelyMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2020, 15:37   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefinitelyMe View Post
2) It was most likely caused by the fact that your old shaft was bent, so didn't run true. Did it leak?

3) I'm not sure what you're considering cutting... The hose?
I don't know if the stuffing box was leaking. It was giving 4-5 drops per second when running. No water when stopped. I never tried to tighten because I planned on changing the stuffing this year anyway.

I was considering cutting the hose and replacing with the current stuffing box. But as Stormalong suggest maybe I should just leave in place since I am using the same stuffingbox.
Old 17-03-2020, 15:51   #25

I dropped the old shaft and coupler with machining company. He showed me inside the coupler and how the key way was mangled along with everything else. I think I'll be out the door right at $500.
Old 17-03-2020, 16:13   #26

Boat: Volkscruiser

$500 sounds fairly reasonable to me. Imagine if you had to pay for the whole process that you have just done.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2020, 16:31   #27

Boat: Hunter Marine 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmacmi View Post
That is the bilge hose. As for the joiner, I have no idea.
Isn’t there a mismatch in hose diameters? Difficult to judge based on the photo but it looks slightly different diameters.
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2020, 10:40   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailormed View Post
Isn’t there a mismatch in hose diameters? Difficult to judge based on the photo but it looks slightly different diameters.
No they are the same diameter. The photo is misleading. The straight connector creates a bulge at both ends that makes it look mismatched.