Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-07-2013, 13:42   #1

Boat: Morgan 416
Dinghy Restoration

Has anyone heard of or used Tuff-Coat Inflatable Boat Restorer. Their website shows some pretty impressive results - but why wouldn't it? We have an old Avon that obviously has some pinhole air leaks. We're going to use the stuff you put inside the tube but are also considering the Tuff-Coat paint. Any thoughts? Thanks!!
PapaBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 13:52   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC
You must apply in very low humidity or it won't adhere well. I did mine in the garage in winter and it went on fine. Others have reported big mess when applying in high humidity.
It abrades rather easily so any rubbing on davits or pilings will scrape off the paint eventually.
gettinthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 14:03   #3

Re: Dinghy Restoration

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaBruce View Post
Has anyone heard of or used Tuff-Coat Inflatable Boat Restorer. Their website shows some pretty impressive results - but why wouldn't it? We have an old Avon that obviously has some pinhole air leaks. We're going to use the stuff you put inside the tube but are also considering the Tuff-Coat paint. Any thoughts? Thanks!!
I put the stuff on my Achilles. What a waste of money. The worst feature is that the final coat is completely matt, and picks up every kind of dirt it can. The dinghy now perpetually looks like crap.

Ditto the above comments about abrasion. It has all the durability of indoor home emulsion.

The one thing I'd grudgingly admit is that it has fixed some pinholes, and maybe I've got a couple of extra years life out of the dinghy.

But next time my dinghy is near the end of its life, I'll buy a new one rather than sail one that looks as terrible as mine does.
MarkSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 14:11   #4

Boat: Morgan 416
Re: Dinghy Restoration

Thanks you guys! My dinghy looks like crap now so maybe it'll still look like crap but the pinholes will be fixed??!! Have you heard about Inland Inflatable Boat Products that have a sealer only. Probably the same type deal. I'd actually be satisfied with a couple more years life so I can build the kitty to buy new one. Thanks again!
PapaBruce is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy, restoration