Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2012, 18:35   #31

Boat: Westsail 32
Re: Diesel Heater - Piss Poor Instructions

Thanks fellas, I am looking forward to curling up with a good book on a cold winters night in the glow of the little diesel fireplace.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:30   #32

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

You may enjoy this book

The Warm Dry Boat by Roger McAfee

It uses plain and even salty language to explain how heaters, particularly diesel, can, when used in conjunction with proper ventilation, greatly dry out otherwise damp vessels.

I learned a lot from this book.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 12:55   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
You may enjoy this book

It uses plain and even salty language to explain how heaters, particularly diesel, can, when used in conjunction with proper ventilation, greatly dry out otherwise damp vessels.

Thanks for the great link.
Old 05-09-2012, 16:22   #34

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Although it seems that the issue has been reasonably resolved, I would like to add that Cburger has a very valid point concerning installation manuals in general and the Dickinson specifically. The installation of a heater is a very serious project with potential for deadly harm if not installed properly. A well written manual should allow the "do it yourself" boater with reasonable mechanical skills the ability to install the unit properly and safely. The onus should be on the vendor to write a concise, easily understood manual applicable in all situations. Especially to those who cannot run to a mechanic/installer every time they want something done on their boat. Generalized instructions for installation should not be acceptable and a responsive technical support department is a must. The time a company has been in business has no bearing upon that responsibility and ,in fact, should be greater based upon the length of time in business. On a lesser note, the ability to communicate clearly and concisely seems to be a vanishing skill and Cburgers frustration is clearly evidence of this. Good luck on a hopefully safe and productive project.
rognvald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 16:53   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
Although it seems that the issue has been reasonably resolved, I would like to add that Cburger has a very valid point concerning installation manuals in general and the Dickinson specifically. The installation of a heater is a very serious project with potential for deadly harm if not installed properly. A well written manual should allow the "do it yourself" boater with reasonable mechanical skills the ability to install the unit properly and safely. The onus should be on the vendor to write a concise, easily understood manual applicable in all situations. Especially to those who cannot run to a mechanic/installer every time they want something done on their boat. Generalized instructions for installation should not be acceptable and a responsive technical support department is a must. The time a company has been in business has no bearing upon that responsibility and ,in fact, should be greater based upon the length of time in business. On a lesser note, the ability to communicate clearly and concisely seems to be a vanishing skill and Cburgers frustration is clearly evidence of this. Good luck on a hopefully safe and productive project.
I was on the phone with Dickinson today and discussed this very issue with a company rep.
Old 27-09-2012, 16:41   #36

I want to give an update on my "Dickinson" diesel heater install. I was about to start another thread called "Piss Poor Design" but figured that because I have found more issues with their poor instruction manual that I would just combine the two.

So the very challanging install has been finaly completed and I thought it was good time to fire the heater and test it out
Old 27-09-2012, 17:20   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
You may enjoy this book

Unfortunately it seems the book is sold out. Might try searching Amazon if you have to have this book
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2012, 11:10   #38
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Trawler 32ft
Re: Piss Poor Instructions

Quote:
Originally Posted by cburger View Post
Pretty rough post pal, I am much smarter than the equipment I am installing, just wondering what happens when the relatively inexperienced tries to to put this heater in and burns the boat to the water line killing himself and family. Can see the lawyers circling already. Shame the company doesn't value your life, or have a little more pride in what they do, sign of the times.
Thanks for the feedback. Dickinson will be looking at improving our installtion instructions. For the record, Dickinson values our customers lives, as well as, have much pride in what we do.
DickinsonMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2012, 20:35   #39

Anyone who, in the words of the OP, is at risk of "killing (him or her) self with an improperly installed heater"
should in my view not be installing such a heater, regardless of the quality of the instructions.

Most of the sorts of installation faults which would cause a fire are not specific to a particular make or model of stove.

The company cannot be expected to provide an education sufficient to bring a randomly chosen member of the public up to the required level of competence in the wide variety of skills required, and then follow that with a comprehensive set of instructions covering all contingencies.

Here's an example of why that seems unreasonable to me:

If I understand you correctly, you seem to be taking Dickinson to task for your assumption that the fuel line had to be installed with multiple redundant bends, so as to hug the profile of the heater. Given the virtually unlimited number number of such wrong assumptions which a novice installer might make, I think that's asking a lot.

If they did, it seems likely to me that no-one would be able to understand the instructions, and few would read them.

I think you've started this thread with a rather extravagant and emotive claim, and it makes it hard to evaluate any more reasonable propositions which emerge, to do with improving the instructions to make things more convenient for the person doing the installation.
Andrew Troup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2012, 15:22   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Troup View Post
Anyone who, in the words of the OP, is at risk of "killing (him or her) self with an improperly installed heater"
should in my view not be installing such a heater, regardless of the quality of the instructions.

Most of the sorts of installation faults which would cause a fire are not specific to a particular make or model of stove.

The company cannot be expected to provide an education sufficient to bring a randomly chosen member of the public up to the required level of competence in the wide variety of skills required, and then follow that with a comprehensive set of instructions covering all contingencies.

Here's an example of why that seems unreasonable to me:

If I understand you correctly, you seem to be taking Dickinson to task for your assumption that the fuel line had to be installed with multiple redundant bends, so as to hug the profile of the heater. Given the virtually unlimited number number of such wrong assumptions which a novice installer might make, I think that's asking a lot.

If they did, it seems likely to me that no-one would be able to understand the instructions, and few would read them.

I think you've started this thread with a rather extravagant and emotive claim, and it makes it hard to evaluate any more reasonable propositions which emerge, to do with improving the instructions to make things more convenient for the person doing the installation.
I stand by my original post claiming piss poor instructions regarding the Dickinson heater as well as information that is contradictory to the manual from the company when I have had to speak with the customer suport people over the phone.

I am not going to justify your remark regarding my experience or lack of same by providing a list of my credentials.

Tags
diesel