Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-10-2022, 16:39   #1

Diesel Heater exhaust high heat concrete?

Hi.

Have an ‘84 HR352 that originally had a Eberspacher heater installed. On the exhaust pipe, it has some double pipe (pipe within a pipe) sections where they sealed the gap between the two diameter of pipe with some kind of high heat concrete. Maybe similar to furnace cement.

Anyone know exactly what it is? I want to keep the pipe but fix two small sections.

Thanks in advance,
SVJOCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2022, 16:50   #2

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage
Re: Diesel Heater exhaust high heat concrete?

Sounds like fire cement, it is used to seal flue pipes but it sets rock hard and will crack under vibration or movement. Fire resistant silicone, good for temps 250C, will work between the hull and the exhaust flange and any other joints.
Tupaia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2022, 04:02   #3

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

High temp silicone might work if 250c is your max. Liquid Weld has a heat concrete like weld. It’s used on cracked intake manifolds just long enough for a new intake to arrive. It has a porous structure but skins over curing. Structural strength is really poor well below most plastics.
A cast silicone boot would be better I think
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2022, 22:45   #4

Boat: Lancer 30, Little Jumps

Think you have Muffler cement, which may be same/similar to fire cement.
Thinking the Hi temp silicone may not stand up to the VERY Hi temps of the Diesel heaters exhausts. Best to check with manufacturer.
I used the recommended Muffler cement (which I did'nt want to use as it dries hard as stated above) but stands up to the hi VERY exhaust temps, so far so good.
Muffler cement...1500 F/800C
Thinking some diesel exhaust temps can be 500-700F but not sure I remember correctly. I triple wrapped my exhaust with expensive race car manifold insulation and is still hot.
hugosalt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, exhaust, heater