Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-05-2016, 13:24   #16

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Did marina punch holes in my hull (with photos)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
The damage is at a strake. The peak of a strake typically has about 1/4" of gelcoat, sometimes as much as 1/2". Again much ado about nothing from someone who has built and repaired FRP cars and boats for 40 years........ oops ! actually 50 years, I still feel like a kid

I could fix that (properly) in 4 hours and one of those would be waiting for bottom paint to dry.
Sounds about right to me. BP (who is, I believe, an actual surveyor... you know, the guy everyone is saying the OP should hire to inspect the damage) actually knows a bit about the subject, while most of the other posters sound about as ill informed as the OP.

This is an unfortunate incident, and the marina should repair, but it isn't a big deal and should not impact the value of the boat in the future.

Jim
Old 31-05-2016, 16:11   #17

Boat: 1995 Larson Cabrio

Thanks for the info Jim. I am done with them forever. I only went to them originally a few years back because me father used them for about 25 years. They killed two motors on him over the years. About 20 years ago, he had an early 70's, 24 foot I/O Formula runabout. They overheated his Marine Power motor on the trip picking up the boat from his dock and bringing it to the marina for fall storage. The knew (or should have known) the motor was shot, but they winterized it anyway and even put a new starter in it in the spring attempting to get it to run. When they finally admitted the motor was ruined, they sold him another used boat, and after the deal, they gave him a bill for winterizing a toasted motor, plus the new starter. A few years later, they burnt up the Mercury 200HP outboard on his Robalo under the same circumstances. Again, they charged him to winterize a dead motor that was getting junked. He is alot more tolerant of getting ripped off than I am. When I picked up my boat from them at the beginning of last season, and the first time i took it out i had a loud knock that i didnt have that prior November when i left it off to them, i decided enough was enough. That saga can be followed on this site somewhere. I am too aggravated now, thinking about all this, to look for the link.
Joe from ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2016, 16:42   #18

Boat: Traditional 30

Some epoxy bog and barrier coat etc and you should be ok again.. It will take his yard guys an two hours tops. ( not including drying time of course.)
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2016, 16:51   #19

it's deeper than Gel coat, I see glass fibers, but it doesn't appear very deep or structural really. Unless the hull is really thin to start with. You do want them to fill it and blend properly.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2016, 17:57   #20

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Have an expert determine the necessary repair, and require the marina to have it done as well as for paying for the expert. Or have you already waved your rights?
Old 01-06-2016, 07:18   #21

Boat: 1995 Larson Cabrio

they didnt want to attempt it inhouse, they had a glass guy come to the yard and do it.
Joe from ny is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull, photo