Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2019, 09:27   #1

Boat: Island Packet, Packet Cat 35
designing a bimini frame

I have a 1.25", three bow Bimini frame built for my boat. It came off a sister ship and mounted to the side rails which is pretty weak. My plan or idea, is to drop the legs to the deck and secure them with backing plates. Bimini frame will be about 14 feet wide and maybe 10 feet long. I further want to lose the canvas and be able to climb up there when needed to deal with a mainsail that doesn't want to go in the stack pack or the solar panels.

Maybe this is an obvious question. I can hang off a single bow with ease. I've done a lot of research and can find no information regarding tubing size and thickness.

My working assumption is that it will be strong enough to support my weight. Thoughts on this question?

Going to a hardtop, how concerned do I need to be about racking and if so, how best to deal with that?

Thank you all for your wisdom
Cpt Mark is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bimini