Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2015, 18:25   #46

Boat: Albin Vega 27'
Re: Design Solutions for this Mess on my Bow

Hudson

I redid my anchor roller last year nothing elaborate just extended it by 3" for bow clearance but I did have to put a little thought in to it.

Now whenever I see pictures of anchor rollers I think back to a thread by Mainesail (or at least he had a lot of input in it) about pendents getting wrapped around bow protrusions and chaffing off. Can't find it right now but it does bear some looking into and ensuring your roller design will not cause problems in the future.
Old 08-02-2015, 02:33   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn.225 View Post
Hudson

I redid my anchor roller last year nothing elaborate just extended it by 3" for bow clearance but I did have to put a little thought in to it.

Now whenever I see pictures of anchor rollers I think back to a thread by Mainesail (or at least he had a lot of input in it) about pendents getting wrapped around bow protrusions and chaffing off. Can't find it right now but it does bear some looking into and ensuring your roller design will not cause problems in the future.
Yes, I remember that issue, particularly related to picking up a mooring ball pendant while the anchors remain in place. I'm extending my anchor davit by 7" and adding a side rail for my secondary anchor to be tucked under the primary.

I used to simply turn my anchors upside down in their davit channels when picking up a mooring line, but I'm not sure if this will work as easily with my new system. We'll see.... thanks for mentioning this important consideration.

I woke in the middle of the night just hours ago thinking that the new welded track on the side of my new davit might be too high to allow my secondary anchor to clear and fit under the primary! I took the measurements back in November and delivered the piece to the metal shop with instructions. I had a brief review of the plans just last week, but so much time had gone by, now I'm worried about the outcome. I remember now that the line I drew for the placement of the welded plate was the top edge and I think the fabricator is using this as the baseline.

I guess this may be my mistake for taking my work to a busy man with a backlog of projects and letting it sit for a couple of months in line. Oh well, at least I won't be sent to the back of the line if it must be redone, but $!
Old 10-02-2015, 11:04   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
Do you mean that your rode will be all chain? This new double roller fitting will be a very nice upgrade.
My main rode has been all chain for many years. My secondary anchor will now rest on a platform welded to the port side of my single roller. Though I may raise and lower my secondary anchor on the same roller after my primary is on a snubber, this is about 20' of chain and then nylon rode. I usually tie my secondary rode led from a bow cleat and not on the anchor davit roller.

This photo shows my new davit with the platform that will have a hard rubber pad where the stock of my Bruce will rest with it's starbord fluke under the main roller track. The Mantus on the main roller will sit just in front of the Bruce and cover half the Bruce.

I'll post the finished project after I get this mounted. You might notice I now have some added eyes across the top of the anchor davit to lock everything down more securely.
Old 11-02-2015, 05:34   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Oh Man Hud!

That looks SWEET!

Can't wait to see it on the bow, and how well the tackle fits!

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 11:23   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

With so much good advice here, steering me away from my original complex contraption, I have my final soultion mounted.

In the last photo I think it can be best seen how well the Bruce tucks under the Mantus. I have one clanking potential where the right fluke of the Bruce can joggle against the bottom of the davit, but I think I'll just use a thick rubber piece of U-gasket that I have and I'll bed it under the starboard channel with some 3M-5200. I will also be adding a piece of heavy rubber matt under the Bruce stock.

I've had all seven of the bolts in, but one you may see I've removed to buy the proper nut which fell into an inaccesable place in my stem.

I'm pleased,- Thanks for your ideas and encouragement!
Old 12-02-2015, 11:42   #51

Great!
One consideration; The ureathane roller can be eaten up in a couple minutes by chain if you are trying to retrieve the anchor in a blow with chop that is stressing the chain as the bow pitches. Don't ask me how I know!
After that boat I went to metal rollers.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 13:34   #52

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Why no roller on the 2nd anchor?
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 15:01   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I had a metal roller back in the 80's but I gave it up for the composite-plastic. I don't know if it was "ureathane", but it lasted for over 20 years and a couple of hurricane anchorages. I ground down the ends of this orange roller and it was tough. 'we'll see, but I'm sure I could destroy it in certain conditions,- Thanks!

I did not put a roller on the secondary anchor because I would deploy it with a rope rode from my port bow cleat when I would rarely use it. I formerly used this Bruce as my primary and a CQR set to port, but I only used the second anchor in tight places where I was short of swinging room. So the storage platform is just that,- a place for it to rest. If I want to deploy or raise this Bruce with a roller I can always put it on the primary roller. I never expect to use it without the Mantus already deployed. So, no secondary roller is just my plan that fits the 43 years that I've been anchoring. ..... but I do see why many might want another roller.
Old 13-02-2015, 05:55   #54
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
Why no roller on the 2nd anchor?
Now you have me reconsidering this and adding a second roller. Not to take the full load on this side platform, but just for deploying and raising while I leave the load on my port cleat when the anchor is holding.

As I continue aging I want to make sure that I keep my boat "geriatric friendly". Afterall, I can't expect to keep handling these weights in the future like I have in the past.
Old 13-02-2015, 09:48   #55

Just a concern regarding loads on the anchor rode if you store the second anchor you may want to route the upper anchor rode back out alongside the anchor and under the raised platform so that the rode when deployed rests in the primary roller pathway as this is designed to take the heavy loads incured especially if two anchors are deployed at the same time.
Steve
marlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2015, 10:05   #56

oh, I missed the thread change from stacking the second anchor above to the new arrangememt it looks good if only using the second roller if no loads are on it it should not twist the plate disregard my first comment in the earlier post
Steve
marlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2015, 16:05   #57
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlers View Post
oh, I missed the thread change from stacking the second anchor above to the new arrangememt it looks good if only using the second roller if no loads are on it it should not twist the plate disregard my first comment in the earlier post
Steve
Actually, except for raising and lowering my anchor (either one) I never leave a load on the roller, davit or windlass. When I rarely use my secondary anchor it's rope rode is on my port bow cleat.

My primary anchor, on an all chain rode is suspended by a double snuber from both bow cleats.

Old 13-02-2015, 16:56   #58

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hudson,

Congratulations! Looks tidy, and workable to me.

Ann
Old 15-02-2015, 07:38   #59
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Hudson,

Congratulations! Looks tidy, and workable to me.

Ann
Thanks Ann, You'll notice that my final outcome was most similar to the photos that you supplied. Your thoughts greatly influenced my result.
Old 19-02-2015, 06:38   #60
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Dang Hudson...

Turned out super slick.... BRAVO! ! !

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote