Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-04-2012, 23:31   #1

Boat: Custom Freya 20m
Design of antifouling trial

Like everyone else,I have found very little information re choice of best antifouling for a yacht. I have a steel yacht about to hit the water and have looked at various paints, including copper epoxy products as well as ultrasonic products. Not enough good evidence. Lots of ancecdotal reports, occasional magazine articles.

I am planning a trial of various paints based in Hong Kong.
I would think it makes sense to do the trial in multi locations - maybe UK, US etc.

I have had a generous offer from a manufacturer of ultrasonic antifouling so could maybe include this methodology also.

Is anyone interested in contributing to the trial design?
stillbuilding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 06:12   #2
cruiser

Boat: O'day 32 CC Ketch
Re: Design of antifouling trial

Skip the ultrasonic, go conventional. I'm not sure that theres a lack of info really, maybe some vastly different opinions and methods. Seems most known/respected products work well. And asking for the best will just start a "mine works best, I'm sure" thread. I guess I'm not even slightly convienced that any test study would be less biased than a major magazine trial. (Practical Sailor) You could try a bunch and post the results, but that would be just another internet opinion. Some people might learn something, others would remain stubbornly claiming to know " the only way". Good luck
RabidRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 06:33   #3

Boat: 73 pearson 35
Re: Design of anti fouling trial

Well,
If your relay interested in doing a "trial" buy quarts of the top ten and paint vertical stripes..bow,midships,stern.
Get back to us in a few years on the results.If you ask the top 10 manufactures they might donate them.Send them a itinerary of proposed miles and how your funding said miles.
In the meantime coat with a hard coat and spend a few hours a month{if you actually sail] diving with a terry cloth towel/scraper for the hard places.Should last you 5 years if you spend the bucks.
My thoughts
Mark
travler37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 12:23   #4

Boat: Gib'Sea 302, 30' - Hydra

Fouling can be very different in places a few miles apart. It changes with the seasons, too. Some years, nothing works properly. IMO, one paint is "the best" for a specific location.

Then, it is very difficult to trial various paints with only one yacht: you can't be in multiple places at the same time.

Alain
Hydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2012, 06:48   #5

Boat: Tartan 37 "Velera"

Rabidrabbit and Hydra speak the truth. After testing bottom paints and reading every review of them for the last 30 years---I concur that the "official" reviews are quite useless. The informal "reviews" always come out that "mine is the best". The actual experience varies within the same harbor among different boats and locations. Also, depends on whether you scrub or depend on ablating paints. Very different processes.
Castine, Maine
Pete the Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2012, 07:57   #6

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana

Concur with all above, except mine is best, no really. KIDDING..

Hey you're in Hong Kong, get hold of RAINBOW its made there, its excellent, hard ablative, no tbt. We got 6 years and 6 months on one treatment and it was still working when we hauled. We are also steel, it actually does not matter that much what you put on but how thick you put it on!!!
We have 8 coats at the waterline and front of rudder and keel and the sides of the rudder directly behind the prop. Also the bottom of the rudder skeg and keel. The rest is about 5 coats, hard to say. Are your anodes "bolt on" or "weld on" Bolt on is best you can change them without hauling. Leave a space between anode and hull, about 1/2 inch, and paint the backside of the anodes with epoxy then antifoul. You do not want the back of the anode to attack the hull paint.

Here are the details: RAINBOW SP-99Y Tin-Free sealf polising A/F
Tel 886-787-13181 Manufactured by YUNG CHI PAINT and VARNISH MFG
The "Bluish Green" is nice

Spelling Errors copied off can.

We used 50 Litres.

Tags
anti-fouling