Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2023, 18:51   #1

Depth transducer inside hull?

Has anyone installed a transducer inside the hull. No core, very thick, solid fiberglass. I wanted to replace a sometimes malfunctioning B&G transducer but the new ones are a slightly larger diameter so require a larger hole. It's installed in the stem where the glass is very thick (4") and Air Mar who makes the transducer for B & G doesn't make a longer stemmed version. It's a bit short so I thought I would try installing it inside. I have seen where people bond it to the hull with a blob of silicone.

Anyone tried this or have any other thoughts on this?
Sindbadly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 19:54   #2

Re: Depth transducer inside hull?

It's a thing, and works well, although I have always done it with a proper inside the hull design and not just a "blob of silicone". I doubt you'll be able to shoot through 4 inches of fiberglass however! Are you SURE that's right??

Many commercial fishing boats use inside the hull designs.
SailingHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 21:06   #3

Thanks. The fiberglass at the stem is super thick with all the overlaps. I guess it is a bit thinner since the transducer is mounted vertically so it goes through on something of an angle. But the original installation meant that they counterbored the hole on the inside 1/2" to allow the big nylon nut on the inside to reach the upper threads on the transducer stem.

I would be mounting the transducer inside but to Stbd so the thickness nay be 1/2-5/8". She is 40 ft and built to Lloyds specs.
Old 04-06-2023, 08:34   #4

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

This style of inside hull transducer is easy to install & works well.
https://www.airmar.com/productdescription.html?id=3

Recommend you install ducer 1/3-1/2 boat length back from bow-to avoid air bubbles from waves.
Read other suggestions: https://www.airmar.com/uploads/SpecA...ation-tips.pdf
Old 04-06-2023, 09:55   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by deblen View Post
This style of inside hull transducer is easy to install & works well.
https://www.airmar.com/productdescription.html?id=3

Recommend you install ducer 1/3-1/2 boat length back from bow-to avoid air bubbles from waves.
Read other suggestions: https://www.airmar.com/uploads/SpecA...ation-tips.pdf
Many thanks! I'm afraid that is intended for powerboats with less deadrise than a sailboat. Nice set up though. I will contact Airmar about it. B&G's customer service is less than what it should be considering what they charge for everything.
Old 04-06-2023, 11:24   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sindbadly View Post
Has anyone installed a transducer inside the hull. No core, very thick, solid fiberglass. I wanted to replace a sometimes malfunctioning B&G transducer but the new ones are a slightly larger diameter so require a larger hole. It's installed in the stem where the glass is very thick (4") and Air Mar who makes the transducer for B & G doesn't make a longer stemmed version. It's a bit short so I thought I would try installing it inside. I have seen where people bond it to the hull with a blob of silicone.

Anyone tried this or have any other thoughts on this?
Through hull transducers are very common
Test a location before commiting to epoxy it in
c.K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 11:44   #7

Boat: 1998 Catalina 320

A wax toilet ring from the hardware store works wonderfully.

Clean a flat spot on the hull with alcohol, then wad up a chunk of the wax and stick it. Then stick the transducer into the wax. It will never move unless you scrape off the wax.

The good thing about wax is that it is easier to move the transducer if you guess wrong on the first try.

Epoxy is difficult to move; silicone can be messy. Placing the transducer in liquid in a PVC fitting means you have to remember to refill it now and then.
Shanachie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 12:44   #8

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

I've done three times on different boats with a cone of silicone. Press and move into place to avoid bubbles. Worked excellent in each install. And would be easy to remove if problematic.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 12:46   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

I tested the location for my through-hull transducers by first setting then on a water filled plastic bag. I later glassed them in within a cut ring of PVC pipe; however, I do like Shanachie's wax toilet ring plan. That's a great idea and easily tested with a piece of the wax.
Old 04-06-2023, 13:41   #10

Have mounted transducer inside several times. Used a pile of silicon on one and toilet flange wax on the others. I recommend trying it somewhere between 1/3 and 1/2 way from the bow using wax so you can adjust the position. Depending upon the bottom shape, try to get it as vertical as possible and not too close to the keel.
Senojev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 14:14   #11

Boat: Hinckley Bermuda 40

The wax idea seems like a good one. I’ve used silicone before, and it worked okay. However, I was never satisfied I got all of the air pockets out. It seemed like the maximum depth it would read before I tried the silicone-in-a-bowl trick was 500 ft., while after I did the silicone thing the max depth range was 200 ft. It was accurate as near as I could tell in all other respects. Needless to say, except for contour navigation, it’s the short end of the range I worry about.
Old 04-06-2023, 16:12   #12

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Mine's got it, with modeling clay (which is now quite solid.) The previous owner put it in that way. That was probably 40 years ago or so. Seems to work just fine.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
depth, hull, transducer