Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-03-2018, 16:32   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to Gadagirl
Degree of Difficulty

How difficult is it to remove the stinky carpet liners on older boat interiors? They seem to be used as head liners as well as the ceilings and floor edges. If I bought and older boat how much time as a former home owner, can use some tools, novice to boat work, should I expect it would take to remove and then replace with something more aesthetic? Just how difficult is it?
Gadagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2018, 16:36   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Degree of Difficulty

A piece of cake.. on my Hunter 37 I just grabbed a corner and ripped it off.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2018, 16:47   #3

Re: Degree of Difficulty

So, what do you replace it with?? Paint? Panel? How difficult to make it pretty?
Old 18-03-2018, 16:58   #4

Boat: Rafiki 37

Hard to say. My previous boat, a Grampian 34, had the stuff. Some of it was peeling off, and some was easy to peel off. But some of it was still well adhered. I didn’t try and remove it, but I think it might have been a challenge. My sense is it would come off in small bits, and some of it was behind cabinetry. I’m sure it could be done. Not a hard job, but might be annoying.

I kinda liked the stuff. Felt warm and tactile.
Old 18-03-2018, 17:11   #5
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadagirl View Post
So, what do you replace it with?? Paint? Panel? How difficult to make it pretty?
Mine was a grubby greyish brown colour.. horrible..
Bought cream semi shag pile plain backed carpet for the forecabin.. looked really nice with my blue duvet covers..
You have a choice really.. Cork tile glued straight on and varnished.. glue vertical battens then strip or sheet panelling..
Here in Portugal I can buy cork by the roll.. 1 x 3 metres a roll.
The hardest part if you go for the paint option will be getting off the glue left behind from the carpet.

Old 18-03-2018, 17:15   #6

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Well, I just ripped off the old foam backed vinyl in my focsle.... a bit mucky getting some bits of foam off... I think plain glued carpet would be easier.

What to replace it with? Depends a bit on where you are planning to sail and what you want to spend. Condensation issues were my worry.

So under the deckhead I stuck 4mm closed cell foam ( EVA?/EVO?) camping mats.... the blue bits you can see in Pic 1. Over that I put back the original but recovered plywood panels. These are ply panels covered in foam backed vinyl.

On the ship's side I simply stuck 6mm foil backed camping mat stuff.... I was more concerned about insulation than looks....

And on the curvey bits I just stuck carpet ( charcoal grey- the upholsterer was having trouble shifting it...) . I was a bit concerned as I thought the carpet would sweat but it has been condensation free so far.

The upholsterer did the carpet and also the recovering of the deckhead panels... I did the foam...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1190568.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	245.2 KB
ID:	166644   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1190708.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	369.5 KB
ID:	166645  

Old 18-03-2018, 17:19   #7
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

A UK website to give you some idea what's out there.. also it waterproof/resistant..
Cork Rolls & Sheets

Old 18-03-2018, 17:19   #8

Boat: Volkscruiser

Its the glue left behind that's hard to remove.
Fairing and painting is an option.......how much of an effort do you want to put in?
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2018, 17:25   #9

Boat: Nordhavn 46, 46'

The liners come off easily. As someone else noted, it's getting the glue residue off that separates the men from the boys. I've tried most solvents, but only elbow grease and lighter fluid seems to work. Sort of. A lot of work. IF you find a magic solvent, please post it on this site.

Under the liners on my boat I have finished fiberglass with gelcoat, so I just waxed and shined the areas. Looks great. If you have unfinished or rough fiberglass, you'll have to replace the liner with something. There are lots of video pieces on Youtube about this, and plenty of place to get foam-backed vinyl lining. Many places will send you samples. Internet search time.
Moody46CC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2018, 17:30   #10
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Anyone who has owned a Westerly will tell you.. foam backed vinyl sucks.. big time.. in fact foam anything..

Old 18-03-2018, 17:53   #11

Thanks All
I'm looking at older boats but just detest the looks of sagging liners and carpet covered interiors. I swear I can smell mold just looking at the pictures!
I'd probably go with covering it with cork or panel if glue were to add hours of work.

So, I think maybe I should stop dismissing a boat outright just because it has an ugly interior? Should be somewhat easy and comparatively easy to fix?
Old 18-03-2018, 18:07   #12

Cool! It comes in color choices as well!
https://www.greengoodsusa.com/forbo-...iABEgIlq_D_BwE
Old 18-03-2018, 18:23   #13

Boat: Freedom 38

[QUOTE=Moody46CC;2598942]The liners come off easily. As someone else noted, it's getting the glue residue off that separates the men from the boys./QUOTE]

Or the women from the girls. It has been a couple years since I yanked all the plywood and glued on foam liner from my boat. It's super nice having it removed so I can deal with through-deck hardware. The liner was glued on directly to the fiberglass in the berths where I can see the residue and have not intention of trying to remove it! I will probably just glue other material over that. The rest of the cabin that had the plywood between the foam and cabin, I'll probably paint. In my opinion, I think discarding a potential boat because of its interior aesthetics is misguided. It's a lot of work to make it look good, but if you plan to sail and want some performance from your boat, the cosmetics should be overlooked (to some degree). I'm sure mine was a difficult sale because of the smell, grime and mold, but I feel I got a good deal for a dirty boat with good bones. I'm very happy anyway
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2018, 19:38   #14

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Anyone who has owned a Westerly will tell you.. foam backed vinyl sucks.. big time.. in fact foam anything..
As someone who owns a Westerly I will tell you the foam and adhesive used by Westerly Yacht Construction was what sucked...

My boat had Westerly Droop when 10 years old.

I re-did the everything except the focsle 20 years ago... still as good as when I did it.

And also.... the original foam used by Westerly was not closed cell.

The EVA stuff I have used is closed cell and is handling Patagonian conditions very nicely.
And also, if one thinks the colour scheme in my focsle is a bit questionable.... its not part of the living quarters. These blue squares are also made of EVA.. good stuff.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1976.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	238.7 KB
ID:	166658   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040182.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	285.2 KB
ID:	166659  

Old 18-03-2018, 23:13   #15

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

[QUOTE=gamayun;2598969]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moody46CC View Post
The liners come off easily. As someone else noted, it's getting the glue residue off that separates the men from the boys./QUOTE]

Or the women from the girls. It has been a couple years since I yanked all the plywood and glued on foam liner from my boat. It's super nice having it removed so I can deal with through-deck hardware. The liner was glued on directly to the fiberglass in the berths where I can see the residue and have not intention of trying to remove it! I will probably just glue other material over that. The rest of the cabin that had the plywood between the foam and cabin, I'll probably paint. In my opinion, I think discarding a potential boat because of its interior aesthetics is misguided. It's a lot of work to make it look good, but if you plan to sail and want some performance from your boat, the cosmetics should be overlooked (to some degree). I'm sure mine was a difficult sale because of the smell, grime and mold, but I feel I got a good deal for a dirty boat with good bones. I'm very happy anyway
I have to agree with this. After all, it is only elbow grease between the buyer and the desired effect; but the basic boat, well it's just my opinion, but it should tick all the boxes for sailing where you want to sail, and aesthetics can be dealt with as necessary. And mouldy stuff removed totally, as necessary. But you need a good basic boat to do what you want to do.

Ann