Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-05-2014, 13:11   #1
Jd1

Boat: Catalina 36 MKII
deflate dinghy ?

I have a Walker Bay Genisis dinghy. Recent efforts to patch a couple of minor leaks went well but I am curios if there is a better way to deflate the dinghy. I have a bayonet style valve with a flapper one-way valve that lets you hook up a hand pump and inflate but doesn't let you deflate. The hand pump is set up for both inflate as well as deflate but of curse it can't deflate with the flapper valve closed in the dinghy tube.
I have tried to find an adapter from the pump to the dinghy that holds open the flapper valve but they either don't exist or I don't know the right key word.
It seems such a simple thing .... but lacking that you have to remove the entire valve and likely loose the internal flange requiring 30 minutes of fiddling in order to bring valve and flange back together.
Surely there must be a better way ....

Oh, with two people one person could open the flapper valve and another person could squash the tube but I am short one person for this exercise
Jd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 14:01   #2

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: deflate dinghy ?

You can't just turn the valve stem 90 deg so it stays open?
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 14:48   #3
Jd1

Thanks!
I didn't know about the 'turn 90 degrees' option - I will check it out. From what I recall the valve is a round disk with a stem in the middle .... in which case turning will not change anything. I am hoping though that maybe the stem has a catch of sorts so pressing it in and turning it 90 degrees might keep it open.
Old 11-05-2014, 15:48   #4

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jd1 View Post
Thanks!
I didn't know about the 'turn 90 degrees' option - I will check it out. From what I recall the valve is a round disk with a stem in the middle .... in which case turning will not change anything. I am hoping though that maybe the stem has a catch of sorts so pressing it in and turning it 90 degrees might keep it open.
That's how most are and they lock down in the open position when the stem is pushed down and rotated 90 deg.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 15:57   #5

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jd1 View Post
Thanks!
I honestly haven't run across one yet that didn't' have an open lock.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 16:00   #6

Boat: Big brick box and a '62 Airstream Ambassador. Formerly Pacific Seacraft

Yes, if there is a hard plastic center that you can push in and rotate, that will allow you to deflate it and even use the pump to get all of the air out.

Other valves have the flap in a smaller diameter opening, screwed on to a larger one with no flap. Screw on that flap portion and you have a one way valve, screw it off, and it's entirely open for deflating, requiring two different adapters for a pump.
cheoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 16:04   #7
Jd1

Cool! Thanks guys !

Such a simple little doodad, you wouldn't think that an instruction manual was required
I feel better knowing that a well seasoned cruiser I asked did not know the answer either ...

Tags
dinghy