Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-06-2019, 10:53   #1

Boat: 76 Pearson 26
Deck repair / paint

Good afternoon all. I have a 76 Pearson 26 quazi project boat. I have some serious issues with chalkiness and peeling of what I can only assume is a poorly prepped paint job. I can't seem to figure out what the weird seafoam green color is under the white paint. I have a few soft spots that I'm going to cut out, patch with marine ply, and re-glass. I'm also planning on painting the deck. I'm a total rookie at boat repair and so I have a few questions that I can't seem to find answers for anywhere:

1) The deck is extremely chalky. Enough so that when we take the boat out we all have white butts when we are done. It was my understanding that gelcoat oxidizes causing the chalkiness. Will paint also oxidize like this? I want to make sure this is actually paint and not gelcoat.

2) I am likely going to use kiwigrip on the nonskid areas but do I use the same glossy paint for the rest of the deck that one would use on the hull above the waterline?

3) Any other suggestions?

I appreciate any insight.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sailboat.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	427.7 KB
ID:	194595  
SomewhatSalty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2019, 11:22   #2

Boat: Island Packet 32 Keel/CB
Re: Deck repair / paint

That green paint is probably the underlying resin from the original layup. Sounds like your gell coat is pretty well "gone with the wind". I will leave to others on how to proceed with prep and paint or new gell coat.

Frankly
Frankly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2019, 12:53   #3

Boat: Bavaria 35E
Re: Deck repair / paint

I've painted similar boat with the Kiwi grip and roll and tip method. I've used Interlux, Petit and Rustoleum (marine grade). For price, durability and ease of application I prefer the Rustoleum. And, Petit over Interlux.

Kiwi grip is super easy to do. However, don't apply when the temps are high....it get a bit gooey. And never apply the other paints when there's even a hint over moisture in the air, e.g. later in the day where the paint will be curing in the night air.

There are plenty of tips and instruction online. Anything would be an improvement to what you have now.
nightowle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deck, paint