Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2004, 02:37   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Deck Polish?

Does anyone have any experience with Aurora “Sure Step” Deck Polish?
Although they are advertising it (Good Old Boat Magazine - July/August 04), and offer detailed instructions in it’s use, I don’t see it in their on-line catalogue.
http://www.auroramarine.com/aurora/p...urestep_pr.htm
http://www.auroramarine.com/aurora/p.../pro_decks.htm

Manufacturer’s claims:

”... This is the first ever polish made exclusively for protecting and shining the non skid or textured surfaces of fiberglass boat decks, cockpits and swim platforms, without making them slippery ...

... Skid-X is the remarkable new polymer that Aurora uses in Sure Step to prevent the treated surfaces from becoming slippery. The way it works is interesting. It's not tacky or gooey and won't hold dirt. When you run your hand lightly over the surface, it feels slippery like the polished, smooth areas of your boat. Dirt and dust slide or blow right off. When you stand on it with deck shoes or bare feet, you will have as much grip as when the boat was new. You won't slip. When the treated surfaces become wet, traction increases. The polymer reacts to weight or pressure. The greater the weight or pressure the greater the traction. The manufacturer cautions, however, not to walk on these surfaces with stocking feet ( a no - no anyway ). Sure Step is not designed for smooth surfaces...”

Thanks and regards,
Gord

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 15:08   #2
sjs

No experience myself, but I can't wait to hear if anyone else has. This would be great if it works as claimed.
sjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2004, 11:37   #3
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 44' CSY "Walkover" cutter, La Nostra
Gord - Never heard of it, but it sounds like neat stuff. If you try it please be sure to let us know how it works.
Located in the Sunny Caribbean
"Life's short ... Eat dessert first!"
harryrezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2004, 12:08   #4

Why would you want your deck shiny? I suppose it looks nice, but the last thing I want is reflections off the deck as I am working forward, or trying to see into the sunset while entering a harbor. My nonskid areas are painted a flat gray and work well for me.

Woody
exposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2004, 14:39   #5

Boat: Viking 33 Tanzer 8.5m Tanzer 22
Deck

A fellow I know bought a new Aloha 26. To get the deck colour he mixed every type of crud and crap he could think off and came up with what a Kiwi would call **** brindle brown. Maybe a shade lighter than that. SBB is about the same colour as a chocolate lab.
He figured he would not have to scrub the deck as often with that colour. The owner is long gone but the boat is still here and still looks good. BC Mike C
BC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2004, 18:26   #6

I applied the Sure Step to much of my non-skid at the beginning of last season (April or so, I live in Maryland), and by mid-summer I was disappointed. Here is what happened.
I did not wash the boat with other Aurora products as stated in the directions before applying the sure step, but I did wash it with my usual stuff, and the surface was clean and dry when I applied the sure step. I first treated the cockpit area and was impressed: it repelled water like wax would, and it was not slippery when wet as advertised. My cockpit is not very large, so it was not a backbreaking task to apply 2 or 3 coats and complete it. Couple days later I got real ambitious and began applying to the deck, small areas at a time. I finally finished the job, but it pretty much WAS a backbreaker. The directions say 'When the polish dries to a haze, lightly and quickly buff the surface to a shine with a clean dry cloth or soft bristled brush'. I found this technique to be effective in the cockpit areas which get a lot of traffic and the non-skid is worn down somewhat. However, the non-skid was less worn over much of the deck, and it was difficult to buff out the haze. (I wanted protection from dirt and stains on the deck, it was not slippery). Halfway into the deck job, 'lightly and quickly buff the surface to a shine' took on a whole new meaning. I had a heck of a time buffing the stuff out of the deck areas. The bristle brushes that I used were ineffective in removing the haze and residue, so it became an elbo-grease marathon with dry cloths. When I got the job finished I was somewhat pleased with it, but within a month much of the deck had turned light in color (lighter than before the treatment) and was not protecting against stains,etc. Then I was not pleased with it.
The directions say to used only in the shade at temperatures b/w 45 and 75.
When I applied it may have been closer to 80, and not totally in the shade, so I didn't to things exactly right. But even in areas like the cockpit where it seemed to 'take' well, the beneficial effects were gone after a couple months.
For my money, it is not worth the effort, except for perhaps high-traffic areas.
I would recommend trying a small area first, and wait a couple/weeks or so and see how it holds up.
Bill_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 00:17   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Thanks Bill, just the info' I was looking for.
Gord

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 07:07   #8

Woody Wax

I just applied some of this stuff yesterday. Woody Wax My initial impression is pretty favorable. I applied according to instructions and was able to get the entire deck of our 40 footer done in about 90 minutes. It is not ultra-shiny but I believe it will meet my objective of easier cleanup without being slippery. We'll see how it holds up. Stay tuned...
Curtis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deck