Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2020, 09:51   #1
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac
Deck Painting Process

I would like to paint the fiberglass deck of my boat. The previous owner did a very poor job and I have a mix of pealing paint and areas of deeply pitted dirt. I have pressure washed the deck almost every year since my 2007 ownership and that has removed much of the loose material.

Like most all decks it is a mix of smooth and antiskid. Sanding the smooth is straight forward but the antiskid is not. A boat show tech recommended painting the entire deck first then antiskid but I'm concerned about ruining the antiskid texture. Suggestions?

I plan on using an epoxy paint and primer, white smooth and gray antiskid.

What steps do you advise in doing the job.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
MJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 10:50   #2

Re: Deck Painting Process

I recently started a similar thread.
html"]https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f55/removing-1-part-paint-in-prep-for-2-part-236762.html[/URL]
Before I start a thread, I search The forum to see if the topic has already been covered. I was actually surprised to see that I didn't come back with any results here, as this is a pretty common issue. In fact, I joined a thread on Sailenet that was over 10 years old, rather than starting a new thread there. Just a suggestion, but that way we don't end up with multiple threads on the same issue. The knowledge base here is a terrible thing to waste in IMHO.
By the way, I think pressure washers are greatly overused on boat decks. I see people using them on relatively new boats. Sure, the deck looks squeaky clean, but then I retorically ask the owner with the spray wand in his hand; What's that white stuff in the water? Answer: Gelcoat (or paint on older boats)! some people say you can control the intensity of the spray, but I almost always see white in the water. You're finish may not look showroom fresh using a brush and soap, but it will last longer!
Good luck with your project!
L124C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 12:24   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: Deck Painting Process

I've had good luck with two approaches to this. Another thread (mine) set me onto KiwiGrip, which you paint on with a very coarse roller. It dries to a grip surface that is slightly rubbery and OK for being barefoot, and comes in a few colors. I had very good results on my first try putting down a really tidy sole to an aluminum run-about. I had slipped on it, hitting my head and costing me highly valued cerebral neurons.

The other approach is slick paint and grip tape, which is available in several colors. It comes in a variety of surfaces, some sandpaper and some knobby. I recommend feeling it before buying it. In that case, your boat deck gets stripes.

Tags
deck, paint