Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2015, 10:20   #16

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"
Re: Deck Hull Joint, What Is This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
in your picture, the hull laminate turns in, you can see the edge of the glass layup. Also, look at the deck, do you see the part away from the hull attachment bolts where it drops down and looks thicker? That is where the cored part ends. It's thicker there due to the core. Most boats are this way but not all.
What is that black line in the pic running fore and aft? Is that a crack?
I'm not the OP, but I do appreciate your thorough response.
Old 04-12-2015, 10:26   #17
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

what barnakiel says.
it is a hole. fix it.
for all of em you will have to remove toe rail and fix whole connection.
so many builds do not use poprivets. i cannot see reason for use of them. fg hull and deck together and avoid the poprivet blues.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 10:37   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

I'm usually in the rip it out and do it right camp, but in this case I'd sure try squirting some 5200 into the rivet first. The 3 oz. tube comes with a small tip that should allow you to get it into the rivet from below. If it works you have saved thousands of dollars. If it doesn't work your out the cost of the 5200 and some mineral spirits to get the 5200 off of you!

3 oz. White Marine Adhesive Sealant 5200
Old 04-12-2015, 11:52   #19

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
I'm usually in the rip it out and do it right camp, but in this case I'd sure try squirting some 5200 into the rivet first. The 3 oz. tube comes with a small tip that should allow you to get it into the rivet from below. If it works you have saved thousands of dollars. If it doesn't work your out the cost of the 5200 and some mineral spirits to get the 5200 off of you!
Sounds like good advice to me. While the removal of the toe rail is the best way to do the job, it is also possible to bugger things up in the process and end up with a disaster site. Hopcar's method stands a good chance of success while the other, in the hands of a novice, stands a good chance of failure.

And if it works, you have dry bunks and can go sailing...

Jim
Old 04-12-2015, 12:35   #20

Boat: sabre 28

There may also be a rub rail in the mix. If so removing only the toe rail may not expose the rivet.
misfits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 12:52   #21

Boat: Jeanneau 43DS

Great thread. My hull-deck joint looks similar to the picture and I was wondering what those things were too. A few of them leak, but not too bad, so I've chosen to just ignore it. It's a minor problem and not a safety issue.

Also some leaks happening at the butyl tape in the joint which turns a yucky black / mildewy with age. No easy fixes to that I can think of though, other than trying to stuff more butyl into it.
Tessellate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 13:02   #22

It's leaking enough that every time I come to the boat my sheets are wet and I can't keep any books on the shelf. I think the bow is leaking the worst. I had to throw out some clothing because the mold was CRAZY! Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1449262951.435675.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	114312

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Slamjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 13:05   #23

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post

3 oz. White Marine Adhesive Sealant 5200
+1 on what HopCar wrote. It's the right answer.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 14:09   #24

Boat: Jeanneau 43DS

Oh yeah that's pretty bad. Where are your located? Your profile doesn't list your location, just wondering if it's somewhere mold grows really easily.

If you haven't already, I would tackle the mold / moisture problem independently. Throw everything you've got at it. There are a ton of mold/mildew fighting tips you can find in an Internet or forum search.

Not sure what the design of your boat is, but in mine the hull deck joint does not lie overhead of bed sheets. The hull is outward sloped in all the berths. So any drips would just run down the hull / hull liner. If you don't already have a mildew resistant, water resistant hull liner cloth on your exposed hull fiberglass surfaces, that may be worth installing too (something like Sailrite's vinyl foam backed headliner).

Yes it is kind of like putting a bandaid on the problem, but if it works who cares. Mold remediation plus cabin liner, plus the inject sealant into rivets trick might improve your situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slamjunk View Post
It's leaking enough that every time I come to the boat my sheets are wet and I can't keep any books on the shelf. I think the bow is leaking the worst. I had to throw out some clothing because the mold was CRAZY! Attachment 114312
Tessellate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 15:02   #25

Boat: Irwin CC MKV 37

Hi Slamjunk,
It seems the water is getting under toe rail somewhere other than this rivet? Maybe one or more of the bolts/screws holding the toe rail down or teak plug or stancion, whatever. If you can determine where it is uphill of leak try this product," Permatex flowable silicone windshield and glass sealer", available at auto parts stores. I know of two others it has worked for. If you can't determine a spot do the entire side. 5 bucks for medium size tube. I would bet it is a good temp fix. Good luck
tonewrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 15:17   #26

The boat is a nonsuch 26. It has a liner but the leaks drop on the liner, not behind them. There's shelving above most areas in the boat. It drips from the joint, pools on the shelf and then drips in a concentrated spot.

Old 04-12-2015, 16:24   #27

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

I'm surprised its a Nonsuch with this. I too like the idea of filling the holes for now with 5200 and then see how it goes and do the toe rail some other day. But I'd give Nonsuch.org an email and see what their take on it is. Is it happening at every rivet? You say the bow is the worst. Is it possible there is more flexing of the hull/deck joint there due to some past or current mast movement/weakness around the base or box? Just a thought. I have heard that some mast bases have needed to be replaced. I wouldn't think it would necessarily affect the hull/deck joint but maybe it's worth checking?
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 16:49   #28

Boat: sabre 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slamjunk View Post
The boat is a nonsuch 26. It has a liner but the leaks drop on the liner, not behind them. There's shelving above most areas in the boat. It drips from the joint, pools on the shelf and then drips in a concentrated spot.

You have a vinyl rub rail like my Sabre that the toe rail fit's into. So removing the toe rail to fix the leak on a rivet will not work because the fastener is under the rub rail. You can try the approach recommended but its just a band aid. In the long run it will be best to remove the toe rail/rub rail, seal the girl up proper. Anything else you'll be chasing leaks for long as you own her.
misfits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 16:52   #29

Nonsuch boats were built as pond boats, not for open ocean sailing. Get a real blue water boat like a pacific seacraft.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 20:16   #30

Pacific seacraft boats don't leak or all blue water boats? Is a nonsuch a green water boat since its for ponds?

Tags
deck, hull