Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2018, 10:33   #1

Boat: Voyage 440, 44'
Deck hatch gasket source

We have several lazarettes on our 2005 Voyage 440. The original gaskets are no longer maintaining water tight seals. They were dimensionally and visually similar to the Trimlok 2828 D-profile EPDM foam rubber seal so I carefully installed that on a forward deck hatch. I followed their recommended compression height and slowly increased the compression but they never sealed out water completely. I believe they were too soft. Getting their application help for a small quantity purchase was unsuccessful.
Sources like West Marine and Defender have very limited offerings.
I have searched had little luck finding a good source for replacing these critical gaskets. Any advice would be appreciated.
See pictures of the Trimlok I tried and the original gasket mounted on the deck hatch.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Trimlok 2828.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	177216

Click image for larger version

Name:	<a title=gasket.jpg Views: 85 Size: 140.6 KB ID: 177217" style="margin: 2px" />
mkgsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 12:42   #2

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23
Re: Deck hatch gasket source

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkgsail View Post
We have several lazarettes on our 2005 Voyage 440. The original gaskets are no longer maintaining water tight seals. They were dimensionally and visually similar to the Trimlok 2828 D-profile EPDM foam rubber seal so I carefully installed that on a forward deck hatch. I followed their recommended compression height and slowly increased the compression but they never sealed out water completely. I believe they were too soft. Getting their application help for a small quantity purchase was unsuccessful.
Sources like West Marine and Defender have very limited offerings.
I have searched had little luck finding a good source for replacing these critical gaskets. Any advice would be appreciated.
See pictures of the Trimlok I tried and the original gasket mounted on the deck hatch.
You don't have to get the exact same gasket, look for the closest one that fits your dimensions.

https://www.mcmaster.com/rubber
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 12:46   #3

Boat: Voyage 440, 44'

Thank you SVTatia. I use McMaster-Carr often. I thought I had checked them for this project but in searching their options I realize now I had overlooked them. I have some samples on order now!
mkgsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 13:25   #4

Boat: CS 33

Maybe have a look at Wefco Rubber I used them years ago for window gasket Just photocopied the profile and they sent me a couple of pages of profiles. Very helpful folks Hope it works out Peter

Wefco Rubber Manufacturing Co., Inc. - Industrial, Marine, and Automotive Rubber Products
PDScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2018, 10:06   #5

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkgsail View Post
Thank you SVTatia. I use McMaster-Carr often. I thought I had checked them for this project but in searching their options I realize now I had overlooked them. I have some samples on order now!
Great. I was able to get mine from them, the ports (6 in total) are 51 years old. I did not place too much faith on the adhesive backing, but 6 years later they are still good and leak proof....
BTW I recommend you use 303 Aerospace Protectant on the gaskets to prevent dryness and keep them supple.
Good luck.
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deck, gasket, hatch