Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-03-2023, 04:55   #1

Boat: 2012 Seaward 32 RK
Deck Fitting for fresh water washdown

I would like to install a deck fitting mid ship for a fresh water washdown system on my boat. I figure a 20' coil hose with sprayer will work great to get the whole boat cleaned up after passage, for the anchor, or cleaning fish etc.

I am struggling to find a deck fitting that I think would be robust enough. I would like a deck fitting that is like a water fill with the removable cap that is O ring sealed and has a quick connect inside. All I can seem to find is what appears to be plastic parts and a deck fitting with a rubber flap. Can't imagine that it would last more than a season.

Does anyone know of such a fitting and where I might purchase one? Here are a couple of pictures of what I am looking for and what I am finding.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6592992.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	273242  
Attached Images

mjgill1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2023, 05:15   #2

Boat: Cruising Catamaran
Re: Deck Fitting for fresh water washdown

The second one works well, the rubber cap does nothing significant.
Tin Tin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2023, 05:48   #3

https://newfoundmetals.com/product/deck-washdown/

I have two. One fresh, one seawater. They restrict flow quite a bit but otherwise work as expected.
mvweebles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2023, 06:32   #4

Boat: 2012 Seaward 32 RK

mvweebles,
Restrict flow as opposed to what? The Jabsco model in the picture I posted? Also, notice how they seem to always be in a vertical configuration? As I plan on installing this amidship on a sailboat, it will be literally on the deck. That is why I was looking for the other type.

Tin Tin, you said the Jabsco works well. Is yours on the deck or on a bulkhead or coaming or what? It's a bit unnerving to put a hole in the deck that does not seal well like a water or waste style fitting.

Thanks for responding to you both.

Don't mean to sound irritated or anything. Just trying to get a firm handle on things before committing to the purchase of parts.
mjgill1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2023, 08:00   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjgill1 View Post
mvweebles,
Restrict flow as opposed to what? The Jabsco model in the picture I posted? Also, notice how they seem to always be in a vertical configuration? As I plan on installing this amidship on a sailboat, it will be literally on the deck. That is why I was looking for the other type.

Tin Tin, you said the Jabsco works well. Is yours on the deck or on a bulkhead or coaming or what? It's a bit unnerving to put a hole in the deck that does not seal well like a water or waste style fitting.

Thanks for responding to you both.

Don't mean to sound irritated or anything. Just trying to get a firm handle on things before committing to the purchase of parts.
The Jabsco one appears to be identical to the Newfound Metals one i posted. All I can tell you is I've had the Newfound Metals device on my foredeck for anchor washdown for 20-years and it works fine and has held up well. A year ago I installed an additional raw water wash down in the bench wall of my cockpit. I also added a third one for fresh water, also in the vertical wall of the bench. The newer ones are slightly improved from the 20-year old one - clips into the deck fitting more easily.

What I meant about comment that it restricts flow is the pressure at outlet could be stronger.
mvweebles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2023, 10:31   #6

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

On a past boat I used a flush deck water fitting to access a connected washdown hose stored below it. Remove deck fitting cap and pull hose out.

You could also use a small (e.g., 4" diameter) flush deck plate.

I suspect there are ready-made versions of this concept it it suits your use case.

It does save having to deal with the hose separately if you have the space...

Cheers, Bill

Tags
deck, water