Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-10-2021, 06:15   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Deck drainage options

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
No worries on the thread drift. I think we beat the scuppers issue death. For non-skid, I am so enamored with Alexseal and SoftSand. I used the course grit on the top decks and it is VERY aggressive but that's what I wanted. I used the the smallest grit on the benches but that hardly has any texture at all. I will probably redo them with the medium grit, which should be juuuust right. I did it by shaking the SoftSand on the wet paint, then letting it dry before sweeping it up. It's important to go over it again with a vacuum to get any loose stuff up because that'll clog the roller when you put the second layer down. I found that out the hard way. Prepping was a total PITA and I primed everything with 3 coats, but IMO it came out great. Ill try to post a better pic.
Attachment 246776
Thanks. I've been resisting this particular project because I know it's going to be a huge PITA.

Have been leaning towards a paint system with an additive like this. The main alternative seems to be textured paints like Kiwigrip but the couple of boats I've seen with Kiwigrip decks the texture looked way too aggressive for my taste. Could have been the application technique and perhaps modifying that (different roller?) could alleviate this. However I also have read complaints that that the roughly textured surface can be difficult to keep clean.

A friend did the decks on his Westsail with Softsand but used Awlgrip paint. Worked well except the Awlgrip started showing a lot of wear in high use areas after just a few years and he's doing it over. Hopefully Alexseal does better. What made you choose that for the paint?
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2021, 07:41   #17

Boat: Freedom 38

I chose Alexseal because it has an additive in the topcoat that did not require me to tip after rolling. It worked GREAT! Even better than when I've actually rolled and tipped other paints. It is also extremely hard. There is no getting around that it's not gelcoat and any hole you drill requires 1) a pilot hole, 2) a countersink, 3) a well-measured drill bit for the screw size. Good practice no matter! For the non-skid, I used Kiwigrip with the stuff mixed in on my 20-footer two years ago and it looks tired already. It looked great going down. It has only been a couple of months of the Alexseal so the jury is out but it cleans up easily. I have not gone at it with a brush yet - only water - and that works fine. I should get some soapy water because there's a lot of soot here from a nearby highway but the water alone cleans it nicely. Maybe it's the grey I used. I have found that any scuffing on the "whitish" color I used for the topcoat does need more elbow grease to remove. Anyway, after painting two other boats over the years with two different products, this is the one I've been most impressed with. We'll just have to see how it holds up over time....
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2021, 08:36   #18

Boat: 39' Custom built junk rigged cat ketch

Quote:
Great suggestions all!! I really like the idea of flush-mounting scupper drains that tee into the cockpit drains (about 4 feet away), which need to be pulled and fixed anyway because they were poorly attached to the stern. Then I could put a y-valve below the port scupper for diverting rainwater to a container inside the cockpit locker. An added bonus! Anyone see drawbacks to this? It would eliminate cutting the toe rail or putting holes out the side, which didn't feel like the right approach.
This is how it was done on my daughter's Freedom 40. It is a constant pain in the... Sand, mud , shells, etc. from the anchor chain coming aboard at the bow come back and clog the hoses at the hose barbs. I think open scuppers are much better. I don't understand the concern about cutting the toe rail.
fourlyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2021, 23:50   #19

Just a quick update. I ran a bead of Sitkaflex 292 along the inside toerail and deck so there want such a serious corner bend. Then I primed it all and painted with Alexseal with Softsand sprinkled over. It had the great effect of building up the deck so it more level with the toe rail and I don't have near the water build up that I used to. I was able to get the painting done just 24 hours before the skies opened up these past couple of weeks so having water pooling on the new paint made me very anxious. It looks OK though I need to run another coat over it. Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20211219_232243117.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	250513Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20211221_203829784.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	250514
Old 30-12-2021, 16:39   #20

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

That looks great. Nicely done. Your boat just keeps getting better and better.
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2021, 17:18   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post
That looks great. Nicely done. Your boat just keeps getting better and better.
Thank you! It has been a huge effort but I love how everything is turning out. As soon as I become better at docking, I'm going to tackle painting the hull sides next. I'm thinking of Battleship Grey or maybe one of the lighter metallic blues from Alexseal. What do you guys think?
Old 30-12-2021, 18:00   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Thank you! It has been a huge effort but I love how everything is turning out. As soon as I become better at docking, I'm going to tackle painting the hull sides next. I'm thinking of Battleship Grey or maybe one of the lighter metallic blues from Alexseal. What do you guys think?
Have not spent very much time boating on the bay (twice for an afternoon each) so my comments may or may not apply but are in regard to comfort in the boat.

Basically any color but white or very light will be much warmer on a sunny day. May not be an issue on the west coast where the water is cool but on the east coast the difference in temperature inside a white vs dark hulled boat is dramatic. Had a black boat once, painted it white and the difference was amazing. We left a small black trim stripe on the hull and on a sunny day on the inside you could tell exactly where the stripe was. It radiated heat like an electric space heater.

By the way, I found out years later that someone in the Bay area bought the boat and trucked it west from FL.

Another issue, seems counter intuitive but darker colors tend to show damage more than lighter colors.
Old 30-12-2021, 22:20   #23

Hey there, Skip. Good to hear from you. The heat the darker paints generate in warmer climates is what I'm hearing from others, too. A friend recently took a beautiful blue boat and turned it white because he's planning to cruise Mexico. It's just that I find white hulls so....common place. I'm sure I'll change my mind the first month in the tropics. When were you sailing on SF Bay? Do let me know if you're ever out this way again. You (and of course, partner/wife) would be welcome to go out on a sail with me. I'd be interested in swapping cave stories too

Maybe I'll consider powder blue or a metallic light grey. That has to be better than my dark blue -- and certainly cooler than black!
Old 31-12-2021, 00:28   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourlyons View Post
This is how it was done on my daughter's Freedom 40. It is a constant pain in the... Sand, mud , shells, etc. from the anchor chain coming aboard at the bow come back and clog the hoses at the hose barbs. I think open scuppers are much better. I don't understand the concern about cutting the toe rail.
I also don't get the issue with modifying/cutting the toe rail. Just make sure to round off the edges, so they don't cut you if you hit it with your toe. It only needs a gap of a 1/2 inch or so for the problem as described, so no fears of you sliding off the deck.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2021, 07:18   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Hey there, Skip. Good to hear from you. The heat the darker paints generate in warmer climates is what I'm hearing from others, too. A friend recently took a beautiful blue boat and turned it white because he's planning to cruise Mexico. It's just that I find white hulls so....common place. I'm sure I'll change my mind the first month in the tropics. When were you sailing on SF Bay? Do let me know if you're ever out this way again. You (and of course, partner/wife) would be welcome to go out on a sail with me. I'd be interested in swapping cave stories too

Maybe I'll consider powder blue or a metallic light grey. That has to be better than my dark blue -- and certainly cooler than black!
Supposedly Nathaniel Herreshoff said, "There are only two colors to paint a boat, black and white, and only a fool would paint a boat black."

However I have to admit the standard AWB (All White Boat) aka Clorox Bottle is pretty boring. Been spending summers in New England where it's cool even in the summer and see a lot of beautiful dark paint jobs.

When I bought the black boat it was brand new Awlgrip black with gold trim stripes. I loved the look but after a year in the Caribbean I realized how hot it was. When some idiot tied a dinghy next to me and mangled the paint on one side it was an excuse to go back to white.

Current boat is a very pale version of battleship gray. Seems to be light enough that I haven't noticed a difference.

Thanks for the invite. SF is high on our list to see again but obviously travel plans are problematic these days. Have already twice canceled my plans to do trans-Atlantic. Maybe this spring. Swapping stories would be fun but will either bore my wife or scare her half to death. Haven't been in a cave for a few years and occasionally miss it but have plenty to do keeping track of a boat.

Tags
deck