Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-09-2011, 18:05   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 38
Deck Compression C&C 36

Hi Folks ,I am refitting my 1978 C&C 36,I've looked all over and can find nothing better out there to buy,so bust knuckles and refit.I HAVE ONE ISSUE i,CAN NOT RESOLVE.Mine is a center board model and the pennant run's along the cabin top thru a turning block down thru a stailess tube that affixs to the top of the keel and fastens to the center board.When the board is in the raised position all of the weight of the board about 300 lbs.is supported by the turning block on the deck.This area has sagged not much perhaps 1/16 maybe 1/8.Their is no coring in the cabin top a grid system supports the cabin top.Has any one out there experienced this.If so is there a remedy.Or o well that's the way it is.Thank you all for your time.Dave.P.S.it has been this way for the 20 yrs I have had the boat and probably 5000 miles of sailing.
casual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2011, 18:41   #2

Boat: Sceptre 41
Re: Deck Compression C&C 36

Casual:

Congratulations on getting this problem to the top of your priority list!! I don't know how you can measure such a small amount of sag. If you had some pictures it might help but I would think that monitoring it would be the best solution. When you release the centerboard does the sag spring back? Is the sag close to your mast or your compression post. If it is could you add a corbel to take the load off of the deck?

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2011, 18:53   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 38
Re: Deck Compression C&C 36

Hi Charlie ,Sailing was more important,than refitting but now the time has come .The area I referre to is directly behind the mast.I studied the area and adding a support to the mast is not going to happen.I thought affixing some type of ring to the center board tube and pushing the deck up a bit but then to secure the ring?The tube being a 1'' diameterand the sag perhaps 3 to 4 ''on the center line of the overhead.I would like to hear from another C&C owner if they experience the same thing.The C&C owners site is not very active,anyway thanks for the come back.Sail safe Dave
casual is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
c&c, compression