Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-03-2013, 12:09   #1

Deck anchor pipe

I'm about to replace the pipes/caps that the anchor chain/rode passes through from the locker to the deck. Not sure of exact proper term for these fittings.

The ones I have now basically just a bronze flange with a cap that has a hole cut out one side so the cap can be put on while the chain or rode is still deployed.

The problem is that that underway there is no "easy" way to totally seal them up.

So my first thought was to just put a PVC fitting through the deck with a screw on cap, but then it occurred to me that there would be no good way to put the cap on with the chain out. I've seen on a website where one guy put a screw plug into a pipe that passed the deck but then I wonder about how long that will last with chain dragging over those PVC threads.

Anyone have a good answer to this problem?
Old 13-03-2013, 12:23   #2

Re: Deck anchor pipe

'Navel pipe' is one term.

The best type are a bronze 90 degree elbow with a slotted, top-hinged flap to (largely) seal around the chain. Can use a greased bandage (just a strip of cloth with petroleum jelly, say) to achieve a better seal for offshore passagemaking.
Andrew Troup is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, deck