Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: Dazzle or Dull
Dazzle it! 17 65.38%
Dazzle is D.D.Dumb 9 34.62%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-12-2012, 09:25   #16

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: Dazzle anyone?

Go for it. And at the same time get rid of those pesky running lights too.
Really, if you want a cool and different paint job, then pick one tbat will also have the side effect of being visible while being cool.
Old 16-12-2012, 09:30   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Go for it. And at the same time get rid of those pesky running lights too.
Really, if you want a cool and different paint job, then pick one tbat will also have the side effect of being visible while being cool.
Soooo, no blue, black, green, or white. got it.

Hot pink maybe?

I am already working on my night camo as well:
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2012, 09:41   #18
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Have you considered how much extra work would go into it? As a pro boat painter, I can think of about a thousand reasons I wouldn't want to have to do that paint job.

As far as aesthetics, dazzle it up! The most effective dazzle jobs didn't hide the boat, as you said, but attempted to hide its course and speed to make getting correct TDC info difficult for submariners, causing torpedo misses. Some of my favorite dazzle jobs were French, they did a number of them that we're designed to make the boat look like its headed the other way, ie make the stern look like the bow. Doubt it fooled anyone, but it sure is different!

The shark tooth boat looks just like the one from "The Life Aquatic".
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2012, 09:47   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Have you considered how much extra work would go into it? As a pro boat painter, I can think of about a thousand reasons I wouldn't want to have to do that paint job.

As far as aesthetics, dazzle it up! The most effective dazzle jobs didn't hide the boat, as you said, but attempted to hide its course and speed to make getting correct TDC info difficult for submariners, causing torpedo misses. Some of my favorite dazzle jobs were French, they did a number of them that we're designed to make the boat look like its headed the other way, ie make the stern look like the bow. Doubt it fooled anyone, but it sure is different!
Damn, I was kinda hoping to enlist your help

The French had a navy? Are you talking WW 1? I dunno if I've seen any french specifically but in general the first WW dazzle schemes seem much more geometric. It's kind of hard to judge because I haven't found a color photo (obviously) or even a lifelike painting.

but I really haven't seen anything I like as much as the HMS Belfast (second from top)
THe new Swedish stealth corvette is a contender, but again it gets into the realm of actually harder to see. And Oceana definitely has fewer stark angles
Old 16-12-2012, 10:01   #20

Boat: O'Day 28

One of my favorites:
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2012, 10:11   #21
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Lol! Of course the French had a Navy. In fact it was one of the worlds largest at the onset of hostilities (though dated). Obviously it wasn't much good to them since they share such a large border with Germany, but after the success of Plan Yellow (the invasion of France), the French fleet became a major bargaining chip. Most of the fleet was scuttled by the Vichy regime after the activation of Plan Anton (the Nazi plan to take the fleet from the French), in Toulon Harbor, on 27th Nov. 1942. This was to prevent the Nazi acquisition of the Fleet, which could have been catastrophic. But a number of French ships, particularly submarines, did manage to join the Free French and fought long campaigns against their oppressors, some quite successfully. Despite the traditionalists in the French Navy, such as Admiral Darlan, who were mostly aligned with Petain and Vichy. Most of the French dazzle plans were pre war, or designed during the Sitz Krieg, hence the lower level of design acumen, like trying to make boats look like they are going the other way.

Hey, never said I wouldn't help voluntarily. Just that I'd hate to have to do it on the job. Always willing to help out a fellow mariner for free, regardless of the PITA level! It's just that you're looking at a lot of extra hours there.
Old 16-12-2012, 11:22   #22

Yeah you're obviously clearer on the history than I am, I just remember Churchill ordered the Admiralty to head south (Malta was it?) with orders to sink em if they didn't come quietly

As for the 'how to' part I really haven't got a clue. I was sort of thinking of doing a pretty low tech job with a brush and tip, something I could touch up easilly. Definitely not going to be a primo awl-grip sort of deal. Maybe I'll buy a qt of black and grey and practice on my van:

Heck maybe if it works I'll get out of a speeding ticket or two
Old 16-12-2012, 11:23   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic View Post
Soooo, no blue, black, green, or white. got it.

Hot pink maybe?

I am already working on my night camo as well:
Yea, hot pink with a simulated low cut bra. I'm a little sensitive to hard to see boats right now as I hit one 32 miles offshore a week ago. Idiot recreational fisherman with lights out and sleeping at 4am.
Old 16-12-2012, 11:28   #24

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

Whatever floats your boat, go for it. I personally don't like the camo effect/design,
it looks like you just didn't spend much time on it or used surplus paint that wouldn't cover the entire boat..
The shark look isn't like that, takes effort and looks cool, more dramatic IMO.
Spelling something out along the hull side in huge letters is a nice effect, and like putting words on sweat pants butts, might catch on if boating repaint was done often enough to follow some fashion.
nimblemotors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2012, 11:28   #25

Youch! Sorry to hear that. I don't envy you the lawyer bills and time suck on that deal. Everybody OK though?
Old 16-12-2012, 11:38   #26

Quote:
Youch! Sorry to hear that. I don't envy you the lawyer bills and time suck on that deal. Everybody OK though?
Yea, it was a loud glancing blow. We checked on everyone and continuned on our way. No need for coffee after that.
Old 16-12-2012, 11:39   #27

Boat: 1977 Columbia 9.6 32 '

Do whatever you want. It is your creation. Your boat. Why be PC or is it BC (boat correct)? Just don't make it look like a 10 year old painted it with big blobs of paint, and uneven brush marks.
kirsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2012, 11:43   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirsi View Post
Do whatever you want. It is your creation. Your boat. Why be PC or is it BC (boat correct)? Just don't make it look like a 10 year old painted it with big blobs of paint, and uneven brush marks.
Thanks, that's pretty much how I feel but I wanted to be sure I wasn't missing something. Being hassled by the man was something I hadn't considered for example.
Old 16-12-2012, 11:52   #29

Boat: P30

Old 16-12-2012, 12:09   #30
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Yeah you're obviously clearer on the history than I am, I just remember Churchill ordered the Admiralty to head south (Malta was it?) with orders to sink em if they didn't come quietly

As for the 'how to' part I really haven't got a clue. I was sort of thinking of doing a pretty low tech job with a brush and tip, something I could touch up easilly. Definitely not going to be a primo awl-grip sort of deal. Maybe I'll buy a qt of black and grey and practice on my van:

Heck maybe if it works I'll get out of a speeding ticket or two

Genius! Of course no primo finish for that. Roll and tip would definitely be the way to go. Just make sure to tape off with fineline.