Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-06-2018, 16:11   #16

Boat: GibSea 472
Re: Damaged keel? Need advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongRange View Post
Looks like external lead ballast. Old school and quality. The lead is cast into a shape that bolts into a corresponding cutout in the keel. To the bottom\left of the "delineator" is lead. To the upper right of the line is fiberglass, or whatever.

My guess is that it's not serious. As long as the bolts are in good shape, the "line" probably just needs to be filled and faired every so often.
I would also believe then same thing:External lead ballast that only need to be re faired with the fiberglass of the keel.

Elie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2018, 01:04   #17

Boat: Oops -jumped the gun

Didn't a large Oyster lose a keel recently and sink? Did it strike something in the ocean or did someone forget to torque the keel bolts?

Old 01-07-2018, 13:25   #18

Boat: 1979 Islander 36
Damaged keel? Need advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongRange View Post
One of the alleged advantages of externally bolted-on lead ballast, as in the photo, is that lead is softer than just about any other boatbuilding material, and would absorb the energy of an impact by deforming, thus saving more of the rest of the boat.

As per your note, I would not want to test that theory.

This was the result of my test. Now fixed up and damage seemed mostly cosmetic. Keel a few ounces lighter with a golf ball size piece of lead missing. The rest was hammered back into shape and fairing fixed the new keel hull joint crack at the front of the keel (not visible in the photo). The front crack did not reappear when the boat was hung overnight.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5082.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	180.0 KB
ID:	172845
macman4190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 08:30   #19

Boat: Cal 40

I know of 2 boats with bolt on keels that had structural fiberglass damage in the hull just aft of the keel after hitting bottom, a Ranger 33 and a Tartan 10.

I also have seen a Cal 25 with encapsulated keel suffer damage in the same area.
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 16:53   #20

Boat: Oops -jumped the gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal40john View Post
I know of 2 boats with bolt on keels that had structural fiberglass damage in the hull just aft of the keel after hitting bottom, a Ranger 33 and a Tartan 10.

I also have seen a Cal 25 with encapsulated keel suffer damage in the same area.
What happens? Does the keel "lever" up on the back end as the front end in pushed and crush up the glass?
Old 07-07-2018, 17:03   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallythacker View Post
What happens? Does the keel "lever" up on the back end as the front end in pushed and crush up the glass?
Basically, you have it correct. But, much depends on the impact, speed, seaway & situation & varies from incident to incident. Ie. Is the struck submerged object (SSOP)/grounding one where the leading edge of the keel strikes something? Or is is one of grounding in a seaway with the hull weight coming down on top to the keel? Typically, the worst damage is centered at the keel trailing edge. Damage varies with construction, ballast type, floor "timber" internal framing configurations, etc.
old frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 17:24   #22

The risk in bolt on keels or bolt on ballast is that the bolts fail either from corrosion or breaking in a grounding. The difficulty is that there's no easy way to check the bolts except by dropping the keel or ballest.

In thie OP's case, the bolts are not stressed as they would be with a long bolt-on keel and would be supported by the keel in a collision. Still, it's an old boat. The most conservative thing would be to drop the ballast and check. Second best (and probably good enough in this case) is to torque the bolts to the manufacturer's spec. If one is very weak, it will break during the torquing and spin.

The Cheeki Rafiki lost her keel off Nova Scotia causing the death of all four crew (who were professionals). The evidence points to several bolts broken in earlier race groundings that were not later checked. The OP's bolt on ballest is an entirely different arrangement from this racing bolt-on keel and not prone to this type of failure. If you'd prefer a sleepless night tonight, download and read the terrifying official MAIB report

https://assets.publishing.service.go...ort_8_2015.pdf
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-07-07 at 8.20.09 PM.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	254.5 KB
ID:	173223  

CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
keel