Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2022, 21:27   #1

Cutting G10

Picked up a couple of G10 sheets from my local plastics shop that I'm going to use for backing plates. However I didn't realize how tough it is. Looking at some older posts looks like folks were cutting it with either a circular saw, or a band saw, and my only cutting tools are an oscillating multi-tool and a dremel. Can I cut this stuff with the right blade with either of these tools? Or should I invest in something a little more heavy duty? TIA
jimp1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 23:42   #2

Boat: Custom cutter, 42'
Re: Cutting G10

Buy a decent saw, a circular if you're making straight cuts or a sabre of there's a lot of curves. You've got a big boat, you need some decent tools.
Pauls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 02:59   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

There are grit-edged blades available for the multi-tool, but you'll weary yourself trying to make long straight cuts with that. I'd invest in a nice saber saw (Bosch is my fav right now) and get some grit blades meant for cutting tile.
Old 04-05-2022, 03:27   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

The dust from G10 is very fine, stays airborne for a long time after working it, and is very irritating to mucous membranes (eyes, nose, mouth, throat, lungs), so use a good dust and particulate mask, or better yet, a respirator, when working it. Wet cutting (tiles saw) might also be a good idea.

A good quality bi-metalic saw will work. If you use a circular saw, use carbide tip blades, go slow, and expect the carbide blade to wear out quickly.
You can also use a, grinder with a [metal] cut off wheel.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 05:24   #5

Boat: 39' Custom built junk rigged cat ketch

If you don't want to buy a power tool, a hack saw with a bi-metalic blade will do the trick faster and straighter than the multi tool or Dremel.

Sent from my Z5157V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
fourlyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 06:21   #6

Boat: 1969 Frers custom, 39.5ft Sloop

If a straight cut, then a table saw or circular saw. For odd shapes, I'm using Bosch Carbide tooth blades (not the grit kind) in a saber saw. It's slow going, but very precise and the teeth are still sharp after many backing plates. The blade cost $11 for one at Lowes, so not cheap, but still going after my bi-metal blades got dull. If you have to make a tight turn, go wide and then clean up the edge - too tight will cause too much friction and can break the teeth - carbide stays sharp, but is brittle.
SVQuestOfPaget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 07:02   #7

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimp1234 View Post
Picked up a couple of G10 sheets from my local plastics shop that I'm going to use for backing plates. However I didn't realize how tough it is. Looking at some older posts looks like folks were cutting it with either a circular saw, or a band saw, and my only cutting tools are an oscillating multi-tool and a dremel. Can I cut this stuff with the right blade with either of these tools? Or should I invest in something a little more heavy duty? TIA
When I bought a 4X8 sheet of GPO1 for a project I made templates out of rosin paper and the GPO1 supplier used a water jet to cut everything to size for me. Then it was only necessary for me to do minor trimming for a perfect fit. Your supplier may also offer the same service….it can save loads of time and the necessity to purchase specialized tools and blades.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 07:09   #8

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

The best way to cut any type of pre-fabricated fiberglass panel is with a saws all.

Cuts through it like butter. The large teeth on the blade make all the difference in the world.

This is of course, assuming you are not trying to create a circular cut.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 09:21   #9

Boat: 21' trailer sailor & 8' sailing dinghy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Jim View Post
When I bought a 4X8 sheet of GPO1 for a project I made templates out of rosin paper and the GPO1 supplier used a water jet to cut everything to size for me. Then it was only necessary for me to do minor trimming for a perfect fit. Your supplier may also offer the same service….it can save loads of time and the necessity to purchase specialized tools and blades.
Did they scan in the rosin templates? Having many pieces water-jet or CNC routed makes sense for a larger project.

I have had good results with carbide tools in general and higher quality blades for the oscillating multi-tool. The regular HSS blades for multi-tools will wear quickly in GRP products.
Old 04-05-2022, 10:07   #10

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
Did they scan in the rosin templates? Having many pieces water-jet or CNC routed makes sense for a larger project.

I have had good results with carbide tools in general and higher quality blades for the oscillating multi-tool. The regular HSS blades for multi-tools will wear quickly in GRP products.
Yes, that allowed them to position them optimally to make the most efficient use of their equipment and use the least amount of material. The company makes the NOAA data buoys that are anchored offshore and lots of other stuff they won’t discuss for the Navy.
That material is so dense and stranded that even carbide tools must be babied to get a clean cut. With a water jet it cuts precisely with no rough edges.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 16:09   #11

Boat: Freedom 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
The dust from G10 is very fine, stays airborne for a long time after working it, and is very irritating to mucous membranes (eyes, nose, mouth, throat, lungs), so use a good dust and particulate mask, or better yet, a respirator, when working it. Wet cutting (tiles saw) might also be a good idea.

A good quality bi-metalic saw will work. If you use a circular saw, use carbide tip blades, go slow, and expect the carbide blade to wear out quickly.
You can also use a, grinder with a [metal] cut off wheel.
I second the tile saw or wet cutting in general.
Old 04-05-2022, 16:24   #12

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVQuestOfPaget View Post
If a straight cut, then a table saw or circular saw. For odd shapes, I'm using Bosch Carbide tooth blades (not the grit kind) in a saber saw. It's slow going, but very precise and the teeth are still sharp after many backing plates. The blade cost $11 for one at Lowes, so not cheap, but still going after my bi-metal blades got dull. If you have to make a tight turn, go wide and then clean up the edge - too tight will cause too much friction and can break the teeth - carbide stays sharp, but is brittle.
The best way to a perfect cut is to use a jigsaw with a Bosch blade.
The T141 cuts thru G10 like butter, that is the one I used to cut my backing plates.

https://www.boschtools.com/ca/en/bos...41hm1-29813-p/
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote