Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-08-2016, 12:10   #1

Custom renovation?

I am not an owner but plan to in the future. In looking at possible boats (Island Packet is really most appealing to me) I have noticed that most are very similar in layout. We (the Admiral and I) will be without kids. But it seems almost all cruising sailboats have two stateroom/double bunks and/ or two heads. We would just need one of each.
Now I know bulkheads and supports are in places for good structural reasons. But eliminating a head and a double bunk would offer a lot of extra room we could put to better usage. Is this type of renovation realistic on oh say an 40+ foot IP? Or if we took out a wall are we looking at something catastrophic in a storm?
The likely answer to this is consult a Marine architect and engineer, but before we go that route....is this even done or has anyone had experience with such? I don't want to pay for a premium custom boat when I want a regular one with less than is regular in it.
RichardRubright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2016, 12:46   #2

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: Custom renovation?

Having a second sleeping cabin is not a bad thing. There may be times you have guests or crew for a passage. Most cruisers use these cabins for storage, often referring to them as the garage or the attic. They make a good spot to store storm sails, drogues, etc. If you tear them out you may effect resale value too. Personally, I prefer a single head layout, not wanting to waste the space for a second head. Not sure about IPs, but many production boats had a single head layout option.
Old 25-08-2016, 13:16   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

Walls often support the deck above. Removing without other support can lead to cracks or worse. If you want more room, buy a bigger boat. If you're going to remodel, you might look at an older boat for less money to pay for the changes.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2016, 14:01   #4

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

As long as you leave structural bulkheads alone there is a lot of leeway. Consult a professional. And use your head.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2016, 15:15   #5

Boat: a sailing boat

Yes. You can modify the boat as you like creating extra storage or adding a shower stall or what it is you find missing.

You are not touching the structural elements, just buy some fine plywood then cut/glue and build the space you like.

Try to rather add elements than cut and remove anything - one day you sell the boat and maybe the guy down the road wants that second cabin / berth / etc. that you find excessive.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2016, 15:18   #6

Don't know the boat... but most vertical members/panels are glassed into the hull and deck and are structural. Do not remove them!
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2016, 15:19   #7

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Keep in mind also, lots boats like island packets also have non-structural fiberglass interior liners as well as structural liners. Knowing the difference is key when cutting these out.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2016, 15:35   #8

I understand how you're currently looking at various interior layouts and evaluating how they'll fit your needs. It really seems that anticipating changes to the layout is probably not all that productive. As others have mentioned, you'll find ways to use what's already there.

Truly anticipating future needs, with a sailboat, is extremely difficult to do. If you had years of ownership and cruising experience it would be a different matter. Don't take this as condescension, okay?...it's not.

You might be glad you have a second cabin when you take another couple with your for a two week cruise. Ditto for the head. That second cabin may be a good place to get away and work on your stamp collection, or play your guitar.

I would just counsel that having a layout that is somehow ideal or custom isn't really that important.

And, this is from a fussy guy who tends to modify and customize his stuff in search of perfection.

My two cents.
siamese is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
renovation