Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2016, 04:43   #61
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser
Re: Cruisers Yacht hull delamination advice appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
In order to Truly test the integrity of the core, as well as the quality of the bonds of the core to the skins (on both sides). What needs doing, is to attach a high pressure vacuum clamp (like a suction cup on steroids) to a section of the skin. Then the cut through the full depth of the outer skin, in a specified radius around the clamp.
[COLOR=black]
All that would "truly" test is the diameter of the area under the "clamp".
By the time you are finished testing the entire hull, there'd be nothing left
Old 01-04-2016, 05:17   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by mealsonreels View Post
Hello,
I bought a 2002 Cruisers 3572 as a project boat. The boat is in great shape, but for whatever reason there are large sections of the hull where the outer glass skin is separated from the core. These areas start about 5 feet back from the front and continue back to just in front of the engine room.
I've been advised of a couple different methods of repair. Some say to drill holes and inject resin to fill the voids, then anchor the repair with screws until the resin cures.
Others say to skin the areas in sections, inspect the core, and glass the sections back on. All the delam is below the waterline so it's all covered by paint.
I'm favoring the second method of taking off 3 foot wide sections of the hull from the waterline to the bottom, making sure the core is ok, and re glassing the sections back on with thickened epoxy. A vacuum bag or screws would be used to hold the section in place.

Has anyone done a project like this? Any advice would be appreciated regarding how to cut the sections, split the parts of the skin from the core that are still attached, and how to anchor the piece while it's curing.

I've had a fair amount of experience with doing fiberglass work on boats. Also, the boat is inside my shop with a controlled environment.

Thank you
The boat is hardly "in great shape".
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 06:39   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
I have so much stuff on my website that I forgot all about this one ...
Balsa Core = Compost
An inexperienced boat owner / boat buyer could increase their boat knowledge a ten fold or more just by reading the stupid boat tricks section of your site. thanks.
Iaangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 01:55   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by mealsonreels View Post
Hello,
I bought a 2002 Cruisers 3572 as a project boat. The boat is in great shape, but for whatever reason there are large sections of the hull where the outer glass skin is separated from the core. These areas start about 5 feet back from the front and continue back to just in front of the engine room.
I've been advised of a couple different methods of repair. Some say to drill holes and inject resin to fill the voids, then anchor the repair with screws until the resin cures.
Others say to skin the areas in sections, inspect the core, and glass the sections back on. All the delam is below the waterline so it's all covered by paint.
I'm favoring the second method of taking off 3 foot wide sections of the hull from the waterline to the bottom, making sure the core is ok, and re glassing the sections back on with thickened epoxy. A vacuum bag or screws would be used to hold the section in place.

Has anyone done a project like this? Any advice would be appreciated regarding how to cut the sections, split the parts of the skin from the core that are still attached, and how to anchor the piece while it's curing.

I've had a fair amount of experience with doing fiberglass work on boats. Also, the boat is inside my shop with a controlled environment.

Thank you
How about some pictures ???
Three Sisters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 09:51   #65

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
All that would "truly" test is the diameter of the area under the "clamp".
By the time you are finished testing the entire hull, there'd be nothing left
I read something on surveys using infrared. Will that show voids in the core material? I'm afraid removing the entire outer skin replacing coring as needed and laying up a new outer skin is the best bet. Is this indicative of this brand?

My dumb ass would not own a cored hull, JMHO.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 09:56   #66
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
I read something on surveys using infrared. Will that show voids in the core material? I'm afraid removing the entire outer skin replacing coring as needed and laying up a new outer skin is the best bet. Is this indicative of this brand?

My dumb ass would not own a cored hull, JMHO.
Infrared most certainly works in the hands of an experienced operator
(preferably certified) its not nearly as simple as it looks
Look at Moisture Meter Mythology and scroll way down for examples of Infrared used on boats.

Tags
delamination, hull, cruiser, cruise, yacht