Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2016, 15:55   #16

Boat: Caliber 38
Re: Creating a haul-out to do list

In addition to the many good ideas listed above I also remove (and replace) all the batteries from flashlights, smoke detectors, CO2 detectors, clocks. etc.
I also remove and replace the carbon filters from the water system.
While these small things can be done anytime while the boat is in the water, I do not have to remember the last time I changed the batteries in my smoke detectors. It gets done at the end of the season.
Old 05-12-2016, 17:23   #17

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46

I detect a difference between the frozen north and the sunny south here. In the snowy wastes of Massachusetts we save up projects ( well some projects) for the six months we are hauled out every year. For us it's about maximizing the summer not just about minimizing the time on the hard.

I like to look at these lists as a reminder of things that have slipped my mind. Most of the time I have between 50 and 100 projects on my list. But I can always learn from others.

I never finish that list by the way. I prioritize and see how far I get. Some are trivial find some keep fire and foundering at bay.
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 17:28   #18

Boat: PSC Orion 27

What we have here is a failure to communicate. People that are in temperate climes are just going to do the basics requiring a haul out, paint, packing, prop shaft etc. Those people living in horrid parts of the world where there are sailing 'seasons' are more likely to require a list as they might be off the boat for months at a time while the water's hard. Their memories of required maintenance might be a little fuzzy come spring.
My list;
1: move somewhere warm.
2: Remember to follow rule #1.
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 18:43   #19

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Seems the problem is the definition of "haulout" which is a function of which state you are in when you say it.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 22:45   #20

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 40

Remove transducer or cover before antifouling.
Some transducers require the anti foul to be water based. I have had the transducer ruined because the incorrect anti foul was used, expensive.
Australis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 23:20   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
Wrong. Fix it BEFORE it breaks. Put everything breakable on routine replacement. e.g. replace engine impellers every xx years depending on use
IMO "fixing/replacing" a perfectly functioning item is a form of OCD. BTW I did not write "don't inspect", inspecting and regular servicing goes without saying. And if after an inspection/service the item is found fully sound and functioning then - "don't fix it/replace it if its ain't broken". You sir are a perfect example of a victim of marine industry propaganda trying to gouge an average boat owner out of his last budget penny while "fixing" a perfectly working item. If after inspecting the item one is not sure as to it's condition or whatnot then of course a replacement/repair may be in order. But otherwise why do it? Would you replace any of your fully functioning organs "just in case"? After all they may break down being XX number of years old.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 01:31   #22

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
IMO "fixing/replacing" a perfectly functioning item is a form of OCD. .........You sir are a perfect example of a victim of marine industry propaganda trying to gouge an average boat owner out of his last budget penny while "fixing" a perfectly working item. .......
So....don't replace your standing rigging at 'x' years and just wait until it falls down?

There is breakdown maintenance and then there is programed maintenance... programed maintenance is good.

Some things are best left 'til they stop working but make sure you carry spares so you can carry out 'field expedited repairs' on them.... otherwise your day can go TU real quick... thinking 'pumps... engine ( fuel lift and fw/sw circ) and bog' here.
Old 06-12-2016, 02:07   #23

Any boat owner who doesn't know why they haul out and therefore what to do when the boat is hauled probably shouldn't own a boat. This is a pretty dumb thread.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 02:16   #24

Boat: Able 50

Pretty smart threads are further down the corridor.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 02:07   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
So....don't replace your standing rigging at 'x' years and just wait until it falls down?

There is breakdown maintenance and then there is programed maintenance... programed maintenance is good.

Some things are best left 'til they stop working but make sure you carry spares so you can carry out 'field expedited repairs' on them.... otherwise your day can go TU real quick... thinking 'pumps... engine ( fuel lift and fw/sw circ) and bog' here.
Somehow you left out my statement re: "inspecting, etc". And yes if the rigging is in good shape and one is not beginning circumnavigation tomorrow then I don't see a valid reason to replace it. Now, if you hired a rigger to do that inspection, and he is less than honest, of course he will be scaring you and pushing for an expensive "fix" of things which are not broken.

Again, I am not advocating relaxed attitude when one is prepping for offshore, etc. I get that. But this obsession by near coastal sailors with replacing perfectly functioning and unbroken items is very strange to me. Seems like an industry way to sell and install a bunch of expensive items. A boat which is used near the coast and seasonally at that, with tow membership, etc. is more like a car maintenance wise than a boat which takes on offshore passages away from help, etc. And if the rig (or any other major item - engine, keel bolts, furler, etc) fails it means that at least for a year or two it was in bad or deteriorating shape which was not addressed by the owner. That's a very different issue than just replacing these because "they're old" yet fully functioning and still in good shape. I'd rather spend my time and $$ learning how to spot a deteriorating item or system then blindly replacing the "just because".
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 05:18   #26

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Service the winches while on the hard. That way if a spring or pawl takes off you just might find it.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote