Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2019, 22:52   #16

Boat: Bristol 47.7
Re: crazed plexiglas windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
Is there a part of the boat that is truly maintenance/worry free beyond 2-3 years? Why would the same owners who wax and polish their hulls EVERY spring would question polishing their plexiglass windows and hatches once every 2-3 years?

BTW, refueling is also a temporary fix. No reason though not to do it on an as needed basis.
Fair points, but I believe my portlights may be original to the boat, i.e. 30+ years, and they're crazed but not that bad. I don't expect another 30+ years, but I have a total of 16 of them and it'd be nice to get an idea of how long repairs may last since I'm also considering replacement at this point. Besides, I don't do anything to my hull -- it's awlgripped. With all of the systems on the boat requiring ongoing maintenance, I prefer longer-term solutions whenever feasible.

At one point I considered replacing with tempered glass since it's a more permanent solution, but I'm dubious whether I can match the original thickness required to fit the frames (Bomar).

Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 00:09   #17

Boat: building Roberts Mauritius 43ft

QUOTE"At one point I considered replacing with tempered glass since it's a more permanent solution, but I'm dubious whether I can match the original thickness required to fit the frames (Bomar).UNQUOTE

I'd be surprised if you couldn't get a match. When I had my frameless windows cut I was given a choice of 4 or 5 thicknesses.

coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 00:35   #18

I'm getting confused, on what causes the crazing, many people (including myself) believe these are caused by UV rays adding the material, but experts online actually say it's because of mechanical stress of the material.

In my experience, crazing got worse after last year I sealed the bolt holes with sikaflex, but in the very same day I also tightened the bolts, adding to mechanical stress, so can't really separate causes and effects.

If I were to sum up things: plexiglass crazes because of mechanical stress, not because of sun light, so covering it with adhesive UV layers is pointless, and harmful because contact with plastic will wish things.

To double check : I know many people cover their windows with Sunbrella fabric when away, that limits uv exposure but does nothing to mechanical stress.

Do they still see crazing after few years?

Any experience?
dongiulio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 00:40   #19

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopec43 View Post
QUOTE"At one point I considered replacing with tempered glass since it's a more permanent solution, but I'm dubious whether I can match the original thickness required to fit the frames (Bomar).UNQUOTE

I'd be surprised if you couldn't get a match. When I had my frameless windows cut I was given a choice of 4 or 5 thicknesses.
That's encouraging, thanks. I hear that tempered glass cut to custom sizes can be quite expensive. Laminated glass is cheaper, but I've read that the plastic laminate can start to deteriorate fairly quickly along the edges.
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 03:38   #20

Boat: Catamaran Schionning Wilderness 1320, built myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by dongiulio View Post
I'm getting confused, on what causes the crazing, many people (including myself) believe these are caused by UV rays adding the material, but experts online actually say it's because of mechanical stress of the material.

In my experience, crazing got worse after last year I sealed the bolt holes with sikaflex, but in the very same day I also tightened the bolts, adding to mechanical stress, so can't really separate causes and effects.

If I were to sum up things: plexiglass crazes because of mechanical stress, not because of sun light, so covering it with adhesive UV layers is pointless, and harmful because contact with plastic will wish things.

To double check : I know many people cover their windows with Sunbrella fabric when away, that limits uv exposure but does nothing to mechanical stress.

Do they still see crazing after few years?

Any experience?
There is no way to install any window on a yacht in a stressfree manner. Somehow they are always clamped and/or glued.

But I recall, all windows and the sliding door facing the cockpit are free from crazing, they are free from sunrays too.

And I did not have it for 10 years on the polycarbonate windows. But old polycarbonate turns yellowish, better yellow than 99M hairlinecracks.

Next windows will be polycarbonate, tinted, hardened & uv-protected.
blubaju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 05:52   #21

Some old skipper told me that real plexiglass is the right material for Windows, because of heat expansion that in other materials tend to crack.

But I'm thinking that it's probably better to discard this recommendation, as I'm not hearing many confirmations about it.

Probably if you take extra care to protect bolts and other hard points with plenty of gummy sikaflex you can declare yourself safe from expansion cracking
Old 03-03-2019, 11:45   #22

They do it in brisbane,

https://youtu.be/Yf3Qp-ci4jc

It's a bit far away from where I am, though this suggests it's possible and feasible. To me it looks like the sanding and polishing method.

Tags
wind