Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-02-2020, 17:30   #16

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft
Re: Cost of outfitting a 38’ bare hull

If your priority is for a functional boat maybe you have to take the military approach. (I think a battle tank looks fantastic!)
  • no frills
  • good materials
  • above all functionality
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2020, 17:38   #17

Boat: Ovni 37 Sonate

What brought on the comments about a slop job? Because we don’t like wheels or microwaves?

This thead is a discussion of numbers based on past experience.
I wasn’t asking “how cheap can it be done” I have seen how cheap it can be done and I would never consider living in such a thing. We enjoy elegant simplicity and I would never build something I wasn’t proud of.

The boat is close to the current boat of my dreams. Just a bit short on waterline for its length at 31’, but not a deal breaker.
An aluminum expedition style yacht with deck saloon and swing keel designed to be sailing machine (not a mtorsailor) that can dry out unassisted when needed is a rare bird. The used value of these type of boats due to current demand is not exactly fair in my eyes.

Lets keep the focus: experience of total cost materials and time of outfitting a 38-40’ sailboat.
Old 21-02-2020, 18:20   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenBowSirocco View Post
What brought on the comments about a slop job? Because we don’t like wheels or microwaves?

This thead is a discussion of numbers based on past experience.
I wasn’t asking “how cheap can it be done” I have seen how cheap it can be done and I would never consider living in such a thing. We enjoy elegant simplicity and I would never build something I wasn’t proud of.

The boat is close to the current boat of my dreams. Just a bit short on waterline for its length at 31’, but not a deal breaker.
An aluminum expedition style yacht with deck saloon and swing keel designed to be sailing machine (not a mtorsailor) that can dry out unassisted when needed is a rare bird. The used value of these type of boats due to current demand is not exactly fair in my eyes.

Lets keep the focus: experience of total cost materials and time of outfitting a 38-40’ sailboat.
No offense intended. Was a reaction to the posts about ultra basics - bean bag chairs etc . I share your appreciation for simple interiors not because they are inexpensive but because they are bright and practical. I too am leaving my microwave at the dock in my refit. The Dashew designs are nice, and I loved the J-boat interiors. That said, the cost of formica is not materially different than veneer when you consider the overall cost of the project.

But I stand by my comment that the reason to do what you are considering is to get a new boat at a partial cost reduction, one that is more or less exactly what you want. But you will take a beating on the cost at resale if that is a consideration. I say this as a guy who is doing what you are thinking and am painfully honest about the financial hit.
mvweebles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2020, 18:25   #19

I appreciate that. No real offense taken, text makes things seem more serious than they are.

I would say they are not similar. Formica still looks great after 30+ years after some magical eraser and countertop wax- veneer has been either refinished at great expense or many hours labor- or worse, painted over. We both have seen enough old veneer to know how it usually ends up.. haha
Old 22-02-2020, 04:24   #20

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

We bought our 1983 37' aluminum deck salon for 20k in 2015. We spent about 100k rebuilding over 2.5 years of full time work. We stripped the interior to bare aluminum, sprayed new foam insulation, and fit a new interior. We also replaced 50sqft or hull ($10k), painted the exterior, and rerigged (same mast). About the only things transfered over from the old boat were a bilge pump switch, stove and a circuit breaker panel.... Just about everything else was new. Some cost we're also from redoing mistakes we made along the way- it was a learning process

We're getting close to selling and starting another project boat, so it couldn't be that bad.

Matt
Old 22-02-2020, 04:45   #21

Funjohnson, I looked at your vlog for a boat tour post refit with no luck. Let us know if you post one.
Thanks for those numbers. Appreciate it.

Tags
hull