Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2016, 10:17   #1

Cost of changing out Ikea looking cabinets on a Lagoon

I am partial to the layout of one or two models of the Lagoon catamaran. My biggest concern is am I going to be able to live for any length of time on board in an Ikea type furnishings. The cabinets on the Lagoon are functional and so is Ikea furniture but I wouldn't have or want to live with this cheap looking furniture style in my home why do boat builders think that boat buyers would think any different when it comes to the home afloat?

So I am now needing to ask. Does anyone have any ideas of what it would cost me to toss out the Lagoon cabinets and replace with something more in keeping with my taste? Such as good quality wood with a high gloss finish.

I know they are building for the so called mass market. But my goodness don't they realize that the money they are asking for on their larger boats is not the market that goes out and buy's Ikea looking furniture. Since all that is offered in an otherwise happy to buy boat.

I would be prepared to have the refit done anywhere in the world if it makes sense. I know it may sound a bit crazy but for my way of thinking its like not liking a kitchen and a bathroom in an otherwise desirable home and then buying and doing a remodel.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or thoughts.

Chaya
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 09:53   #2

Boat: 50' Cat (someday) ok maybe 45' Cat
Re: Cost of changing out Ikea looking cabinets on a Lagoon

Great question. I totally agree. I wonder if Lagoon would/could provide a custom cabinet package.

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 12-02-2016, 10:13   #3
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Lagoon do have a few different options in regards to cabinet finishes, but if none of those options are for you then a total refit would be needed. Most of the panels are fully integrated in the structure but all are fairly basic and common cabinet materials, so any reasonable joinery should be able to refit to your tastes. I'd expect around €70,000 should cover it, including installation. Fortunately the standard interior is the same style as I prefer for my home and cat as well. Manufacturers like privelige and st Francis are more customisable for specific interior tastes.
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 10:14   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by category4jay View Post
Great question. I totally agree. I wonder if Lagoon would/could provide a custom cabinet package.

Yeah if buying new, talk to them.

If they can't supply what you want, get a (probably substantial) discount for leaving the stuff you don't like out.

A good cabinetmaker pretty much anywhere, should be able to build in exactly what you want.

eta: I you like the layout, you could always opt for the cabinet carcassing, and get a cabinetmaker to do the fronts, drawers, worktops, etc.

eta2: Funny thing Ikea triggered, apart from the great meatballs. One of the richer people I knew, came into a lot of money after the death of his parents (plane crash, lost father and mother, both well off, owned a Company, insured to the gills and back several times over). Back around 1990, him and his sister were worth North of £750 million each. After spending 10+ years windsurfing in places like Greece, he bought a small terraced house and did it up. I gave him a hand getting all the furniture and fittings for it, which involved many trips to Ikea (I told him to go to Habitat as an old friend was a manager at a big one, but he wouldn't listen - so much for the attraction of big discounts, hehe), and lots of portions of meatballs before going back and putting it up. He sure loved that Ikea stuff (maybe it was just the meatballs . . . ).
Ribbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 10:21   #5

Hi Catagory4J. For a while I thought I was the only person thinking like this. I'm at the Miami Boat Show today and I love the 560. But I hate the light colored no gloss cabinets. I wouldn't have them in my kitchen let alone a $1.5 million boat. I know the Europeans think it's cool and modern but for anyone with class it just looks cheap. (sorry I don't mean to offend those who like the look)

The Lagoon sales guy, who bye the way is great, said I could get the cabinets done in a darker wood with a high gloss. Problem is they have no samples of what the finish looks like. He said I can see it on the internet but that's why I flew to Miami so that I could see first hand and not Internet pics. Oh well. I suppose they don't think it's important when your only spending $1.5 million. How silly of me to expect better.
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 10:25   #6

Boat: Amel 50

It's only money... Buying a custom boat might be a better path for you though.

I doubt very much that Lagoon will custom make the interior furnishings for you. They mass produce, not custom make.

Before we bought the L450, we were also looking at the Discovery 50 catamaran but we decided to spend the extra USD $500k+ somewhere else. My wife and I are happy with our decision and never looked back.
boom23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 10:34   #7

Boat: Hylas 49

If the draw fronts and doors are just screwed on, you could apply new laminate to the cabinets and have new doors and draws made, or apply another layer of laminate to them as well.
TheOffice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 10:45   #8

Boat: 41' yawl

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingWalkabout View Post
I know the Europeans think it's cool and modern but for anyone with class it just looks cheap. (sorry I don't mean to offend those who like the look)

Some folks consider "class" to mean a desire for the "right" kind of cabinets.

Some folks consider "class" to mean not saying ridiculous things like "for anyone with class..."
chris95040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 11:13   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
Lagoon do have a few different options in regards to cabinet finishes, but if none of those options are for you then a total refit would be needed. Most of the panels are fully integrated in the structure but all are fairly basic and common cabinet materials, so any reasonable joinery should be able to refit to your tastes. I'd expect around €70,000 should cover it, including installation. Fortunately the standard interior is the same style as I prefer for my home and cat as well. Manufacturers like privelige and st Francis are more customisable for specific interior tastes.
Jay-sus! Is that all?

Actually wouldn't be surprised considering info in a previous thread where manufacturer's were charging THOUSANDS for cheap ass cushions.
Old 12-02-2016, 11:44   #10

Boat: 50' Cat (someday) ok maybe 45' Cat

Going walkabout
You're asking way too much to spend only 1.5m and expect decent cabinets that you actually like. LOL
Hey if you're in Miami go check out the Antares or Catana cabinets. They look a lot more like what I would want.
I suspect you might agree.
On a side note I love the old Formosa woodwork and joinery look and feel so much that I even called a famous NA to see if he could design an old look feel into a modern catamaran. Kind of a blend of the best of both worlds. Of course the answer was yes but for a fee. I haven't excluded the idea yet.
Cheers

Old 12-02-2016, 11:55   #11

Quote:
I know the Europeans think it's cool and modern but for anyone with class it just looks cheap. (sorry I don't mean to offend those who like the look)
The irony is making my head hurt.
Iaangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 12:08   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iaangus View Post
The irony is making my head hurt.
Why? I also think the Lagoon interior looks a bit 'cheap' and non-maritime. It's probably a good place to live though. But compared to old 80ties sailboats, like e.g. Hallberg Rassys, I think (maritime) class and atmosphere is missing.
250224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 12:19   #13

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

A Lagoon is not built for everyone. Options are:

See if Lagoon will build one to your specs.
Get a quote for new interior from a quality builder who specializes in lightweight interiors.
Look for a better builder.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 12:22   #14
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Oh well. I suppose they don't think it's important when your only spending $1.5 million. How silly of me to expect better.
Hmmmm its a production boat. You get what you get with very little options.

If you want different go find someone to knock you up a custom 56ft cat... but sure as hell it will be more than $1.5m
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 12:34   #15

So, turns out Europeans have no class. That's what's so great about this forum. Something new to learn every day.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cabin, lagoon