Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-06-2019, 17:18   #31

Boat: Dickerson 37AC
Re: Cost of a Dodger

Also interested in this topic. Mine was well made but I've reswen many times and now the top panel is just blowing out.

In terms of fabric, I bought a Sailrite sunbrella sail cover kit. Was pretty easy to do, but I was meticulous and have a machinist/woodworker background. Also have a Juki walking foot machine which is tops.

Anyways the sail cover is now 3 years old and I'm not impressed with regular Sunbrella for durability or abrasion resistance.

My dodger was made using a fabric which is heavier than Sunbrella but has a vinyl? rubber? backing to the material making it 1 sided. I really prefer this but I can't figure out what fabric it is.

I've heard Stamoid, Top Gun, Top Notch

Having a look at SailRite it looks closest to Sunbrella SeaMark?
https://www.sailrite.com/SeaMark-Oyster-60

Which just happens to be the most expensive. But in terms of material it's likely the cheapest part of the durability equation.
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2019, 17:39   #32

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Seeing as how we're reviving an 8 yr. old thread, I'll bet prices have gone up!

Our dodger is constructed of "marine hooding", it is pvc, fabric backed. We had it made in 2005, and it has had new windows twice. So far, the fabric is holding up okay.

We used WeatherMax for our boom bag and weather cloths. Two years ago. And I am not a happy camper. The dark red has faded to a bizarre sort of dirty grey color. Now, dark reds are famous for fading, but this is much faster fading than sunbrella would give.

We also used WeatherMax to make our dinghy chaps, a medium gray color. It has begun to get funny from sun rot. It is only supposed to last for 5 yrs., and I think that will be about right. I will use acrylic for that, next time, as due to the shapes, I don't think it will have a chafe problem, and I have a plan for the high wear areas.

Ann
Old 23-06-2019, 17:57   #33

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft
Re: Thanks all for the come back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
I should have mentioned I'll be taking it to the tropics so fold up windows will be important.

As for making it myself, I've tried sewing and I don't have the patients.

Chuck, I would concur with not adding covers over the windows, which I will have the Stradaglass 30ga.

I want a dodger I can take down so if I ever get in one of those Pacific storms I can take it down away from breaking waves. I've seen fishing boats come back without windshields. I don't have a lot of freeboard. One of the reasons I built up the cockpit. Maybe with a larger boat higher out of the water I'd go with a hard dodger.

Below is a picture before the cockpit upgrade. You can see if I were to take a wave over the bow the dodger would take the brunt of it all. And another picture of the new cockpit.

$1500 doesn't sound too bad. I was expecting a lot more like $5K for a well built unit. This is a 40' boat but I think the beam and height isn't too much different then a dodger for a 30' boat.

Any more suggestions/comments?

My original thought would be that I would build my own hard dodger then considered the weight above deck, whether it should be sacrificial or hard fixed and the I thought about the Pacific Gale that delmarrey alludes to (above)

The two hard dodgers that appealed to me are on yachts called Riada11 and ?. I prefer the one on Riada11 but it is probably too heavy and would it be "fixed"or sacrificial? I figure the one on the unnamed yacht could be just a sheet of glass cloth and epoxied into shape over a SS frame. (Maybe installed sacrificially)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hard dodger Riada 11.JPG
Views:	631
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	194573   Click image for larger version

Name:	Temp Hard dodger.JPG
Views:	174
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	194575  

coopec43 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2019, 18:58   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailah View Post
Also interested in this topic. Mine was well made but I've reswen many times and now the top panel is just blowing out.

In terms of fabric, I bought a Sailrite sunbrella sail cover kit. Was pretty easy to do, but I was meticulous and have a machinist/woodworker background. Also have a Juki walking foot machine which is tops.

Anyways the sail cover is now 3 years old and I'm not impressed with regular Sunbrella for durability or abrasion resistance.

My dodger was made using a fabric which is heavier than Sunbrella but has a vinyl? rubber? backing to the material making it 1 sided. I really prefer this but I can't figure out what fabric it is.

I've heard Stamoid, Top Gun, Top Notch

Having a look at SailRite it looks closest to Sunbrella SeaMark?
https://www.sailrite.com/SeaMark-Oyster-60

Which just happens to be the most expensive. But in terms of material it's likely the cheapest part of the durability equation.

I have a type of Sunbrella with the plastic layer inside and it shrank such that the corners have never reached by snaps or zippers since I've owned it. Will NEVER use that again.

Would not own a hard dodger as it is that much more difficult to take down in a serious blow an we get those out here. Sails, a dodger, bimini and solar panels are enough to prep...
Happydrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2019, 19:07   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Cost of a Dodger

We used sunbrella plus for our Bimini and dinghy chaps.
I wouldn’t use it again for the chaps as it’s stiffer, but it’s superb for the Bimini as it’s absolutely, completely, totally waterproof, without having to retreat it.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2019, 19:12   #36

Boat: Catalina 36

I have used 40 mm Stratoglass and it was good, but now using 60mm Makrolon which is outstanding- no comparison on optical clarity. Because Makrolon is so stiff you cannot roll it
mikeo16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2019, 22:45   #37

Boat: Allied 39

I just had a quick read thru the thread. Two things I would like to mention.

1. No matter what material you use for the dodger(excluding hard dodgers) I would strongly recommend the use of Tenera thread. It will outlast the material. Never have to restitch.

2. We have been cruising the hot parts of the world for a couple of decades. We both say a very big yes to window covers. We roll our fwd window up but the side windows get covers on them to prevent the sun coming thru and scorching us and the windows.

3. Yes ago I met a rep for Sunbrella and asked him what color lasts the best. His answer was any color with black thread thru it like hemlock tweed or the dark blue with black thread thru it. We have found over the decades (35 years) and most of those in the tropics that the hemlock tweed outlasted say a lighter beige or oyster white or even a lighter blue.

4. We think it’s money well spent to hire a really good dodger marker. Very hard to do yourself.

Good luck
Old 23-06-2019, 23:32   #38

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

Absolutely use Tenara thread. If you’re having it made, ask what thread they use and walk if they’re not using it. The labour is such a big part of it that the price of materials is irrelevant.

If you’re making it yourself, there are better and cheaper machines than the Sailrite out there, particularly if you don’t need it to be portable.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2019, 07:10   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by chouliha View Post
I just had a quick read thru the thread. Two things I would like to mention.

1. No matter what material you use for the dodger(excluding hard dodgers) I would strongly recommend the use of Tenera thread. It will outlast the material. Never have to restitch.

2. We have been cruising the hot parts of the world for a couple of decades. We both say a very big yes to window covers. We roll our fwd window up but the side windows get covers on them to prevent the sun coming thru and scorching us and the windows.

3. Yes ago I met a rep for Sunbrella and asked him what color lasts the best. His answer was any color with black thread thru it like hemlock tweed or the dark blue with black thread thru it. We have found over the decades (35 years) and most of those in the tropics that the hemlock tweed outlasted say a lighter beige or oyster white or even a lighter blue.

4. We think it’s money well spent to hire a really good dodger marker. Very hard to do yourself.

Good luck
Would have never guessed dark colors last longer. I have dark blue everything. Thank you!
Happydrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 10:51   #40

Boat: Swan 432

Any recommendations for the Newport RI area? I have an initial quote for $1800 if I mail the existing canvas to a place in NY. One quote from a local place was $6K, they already built us a new bimini a few years ago and there are already signs of corrosion on the tubing.
deluxe68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 11:19   #41

Boat: Catalina 36

Try Thurston - good quality. but expensive
mikeo16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 09:06   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy M View Post
I've looked at both soft and hard dodgers. I am about to start this project myself. I have decided to go with a hard dodger. I once took a square wave off Oahu that creamed the soft dodger. I ducked. I want something more substantial now. Being able to stand on top of it is another benefit. I've looked at many designs in my quest for my ultimate windshield. Mine will be constructed of two layers of Baltic birch plywood, to provide rigidity, the first piece, 1/4" thick, forms an inner lip to support the clear acrylic panes, the second is 3/8" to match the thickness of the acrylic and give the needed strength for the area of the panes. There will be a 1/4" finishing rim around the perimeter of the pane to protect the sealant from UV (even though I'm using 3M 4000). The vertical faces will be flat slabs, the main cover will be 2 layers of 1/4" ply, curved athwartships. The entire unit should weigh, I estimate, under 50 pounds, including the foam coamings. I will include small inspection plates in the coamings to allow air to flow in from forward, when weather requires it, and an opening hatch in the overhead to allow even better draft. It seems massive in design, but allows me full protection in the center cockpit, almost like a pilot house, only shorter in length. I'll send pics when I have something to show.

Hi Roy surprised you aren’t going to use foam core. Much lighter. If you are remotely interested in how we built ours using core material check out our website in other good stuff. I have pics of the build.

Cheers

Chuck
Jacaranda
Old 15-10-2019, 10:25   #43

Boat: Sabre 34

Does anyone know where to go for a dodger frame and canvas near Annapolis, MD.? I see some of the costs involved here...Are we talking just the canvas or frame as well?
I am starting from scratch....what's the ball park total for stainless frame and canvas?
Old 15-10-2019, 11:59   #44

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extemporaneous View Post
Hi Roy.
Just wondering how your dodger worked out and if you have any pictures you could share?
I'd be interested in seeing them if you do.

Cheers,
Extemp.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chouliha View Post
Hi Roy surprised you aren’t going to use foam core. Much lighter. If you are remotely interested in how we built ours using core material check out our website in other good stuff. I have pics of the build.

Cheers

Chuck
Jacaranda
Hey Chuck, I think Roy is enjoying his 11 year-old dodger somewhere far, as he did not respond to the thread above in 2011.
But I am interested and checked your site but could not find the pics...
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2019, 14:56   #45

LOL Bang head here —— didn’t look at how old the thread is.

Check https://www.jacarandajourney.com/other-good-stuff Then under “Cruising Ideas and Tips” choose #9 Building a Hard Dodger.

Cheers

Chuck

Tags
dodger