Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2020, 05:55   #46

Boat: VDS Seal 36 and Sandpiper 565
Re: Cost for putting Name and Hailing port on hull

No response to my post so I'll post again.....

I got mine from eBay and had great results. Prices start at $20

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Custom-Boat....c100903.m5276

As an example.

Dennis
Old 05-04-2020, 06:36   #47

Boat: 21' trailer sailor & 8' sailing dinghy

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingnut40 View Post
No response to my post so I'll post again.....

I got mine from eBay and had great results. Prices start at $20

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Custom-Boat....c100903.m5276

As an example.

Dennis

That is very reasonable.

My local vinyl shop wanted $40-50 for lettering the dinghy, got them started, gave them CAD and picked out vinyl. I had worked with the preivious owner of the company many times on CAD before so I knew what was needed. I waited a couple weeks, stopped in, they were not done and offered some conflicting excuse depending which employee I talked to as to why they were not done and why they had not called, etc...so hard stop with them. I ran the CAD file out on a $8 roll of Cricut vinyl from the craft store on a cutting machine at work and used a $4 roll of transfer film to get them on straight.

Fast forward a couple years. I needed State registration numbers on the big boat. I did the CAD and cut out a set of stencils at work out of self-sticking shelf paper and painted the letters directly on the boat with a custom metallic green, water-based acrylic. I did the same thing with plain plastic film and spray adhesive for the name and port of call on the stern the next year. Materials were negligible and it was an enjoyable boat chore.

The old man taught me how to cut out stencils using newspaper letters and masking tape to paint numbers on Pinewood Derby cars for the Scouts back in the 70's. Who would have thought that it would become a life skill some 40+ years later...Granted, it greatly helps that I do not have to cut by hand as I have access to various CNC cutting tools at work that were originally from or adjacent to the graphics industry.
Old 10-04-2020, 06:47   #48
hlk

Got mine at a sign shop. Cost me two beers two get the guy to install it.
hlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 07:03   #49

Boat: Back Cove 33

We designed ours and did the on the BoatUS site. Easy to order, enough choices, but not overwhelming. We got them in about 4 days and put them on ourselves. Wha I really likes is if you screw up the install, the replacement is half price. Hailing port cost was under $50, as I remember. I also got curved decals for the life rings. They came out very nice and professional looking. PS I don’t work for them, but I’m a happy customer.
Adiona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 07:13   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbk View Post
Little steep. The vinyl is probably worth $150 if nothing fancy. Rest is travel and install, clean up <1hr of work at the boat as long as it’s just an install an they don’t have to remove your old letting.
I absolutely agree. I went to a local sign shop, picked out the color of material, font and dimensions. For $50 they laid the design fo me to approve. The name and hailing port together was $100. I only had one set made and put it on myself. All you need is a credit card or a flat rubber piece to apply and some masking tape to align it before applying. Easy!
Happ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 07:24   #51

Boat: islandpacket

If your boat is documented with the coastguard, don't forget to change your paperwork.
Old 10-04-2020, 07:40   #52
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

I just completed a " name" project for my fishing boat.
The " name" was done by an online firm...there are several to chose from.....the name on my boat is about 7" high and spans about 30"...you can pick from a myriad of fonts, borders, etc....
Total cost was $54 for both names in a two tone color scheme.
The fancier you get, the price will go up....
Additionally, I went to a local hobby store and purchased 2 rolls of stick on vinyl....2 rolls cost me about $8...I drew up some graphics and placed these around the name..

total cost...$62....the final project came out beeyootifullll
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 08:15   #53

Boat: Bali 4.0

I think we spent less than $150 all in for a local sign shop to print/cut the name and port for each sugar scoop as well as a larger name on the side of each hull.

Took us less than an hour to apply them and look 100% professional!
theDangerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 08:45   #54

Boat: Catalina 36

Go to a local sign shop (like Signs in a Day) and get vinyl letters. Note that for a US documented boat you need to have minimum 4” lettering AND both the boat name and hailing port need to be together on one surface, usually the stern. Names on the bow or sides are not required as far as I know. Also note that removal of the old name can be quite a chore, especially if painted on. If painted, remove it by applying oven cleaner (like Easy Off). It won’t hurt the gel coat. Let it stand till the paint softens (I left mine overnight). It and the paint then just scrapes off easily with a plastic spatula. Either painted or vinyl lettering that has been on the boat for a long time leaves a raised ghost of unoxidized gel coat that needs to be sanded down and polished. It may be that part of the charge you have been quoted is all this prep work rather than the lettering alone. Check with them.
mpaule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 08:47   #55

Boat: Wellcraft portofino 43’

Unless you’re commercial, you don’t need the name on the bow. If you want it there, it’s ok, just not needed.
A sign shop, Defender, or West Marine can make the name and hailing port much cheaper. The letters are prespaced so, after cleaning the transom, tape the lettered strip in place and follow the simple directions.
David Mathis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 08:55   #56

Boat: Hunter 33

Also note CG requirements for lettering.

The name and hailing port of a recreational vessel must be marked together on some clearly visible exterior part of the hull.

All markings may be made by any means and materials that result in durable markings and must be at least four inches in height, made in clearly legible letters of the Latin alphabet or Arabic or Roman numerals.

I have noticed a lot of boats don't follow the requirements, and they don't seem to be enforced.
sea-casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 09:00   #57

Boat: Beneteau 331 34'

I had a transom name and home port, starboard and port registration numbers designed, printed, and installed in Chicago for $250. Labor was $150 and materials were $100. FastSigns did everything for me and it's a beautiful job.
_m_miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 09:16   #58

Boat: 35' sloop

I may have missed something here, but I didn't see anything about the Dept. Homeland Sec. aka Coast Guard cost of name changing.
I changed my hailing port (Now Port Canaveral) no problem. The name you ask?
$110.00
Seriously? So I left it.
Tonali99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 09:20   #59

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

I bought a set of lettering & graphics from Boat US for my old boat, around $70, my last set I bought from etsy for a Leopard 44, they cost $30, and were indistinguishable from the Boat US vinyl I bought.

pick a color, font, size and download something from the internet. they can print from a .JPG file, no extra charge for a full color graphic.

There are two chemicals you need to make life MUCH easier.

I dont remember the name, but I remember using a bottle of goof off to remove old sticky from old letters.

One bottle dissolves vinyl, and softens the glue.

The other you lightly spray the hull after you put a few tiny pencil marks for alignment, but before you place the new letters. it gives you 30 secs to slide them around before they stick permanently.

Makes life MUCH easier.

Action Tac application fluid.

Sticky off to remove old lettering.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 09:21   #60

Boat: Paceship Py 26 26.6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looking4Neptune View Post
I need to put a new name and hailing port on my 2010 Leopard 46. I have one quote for $650 to put the name on the port and stbd bows and the hailing port on the stern steps. This company does the whole job. I don't have the option of putting the lettering on myself.

Is this a reasonable price (in San Diego CA)? (seems high to me)

I have the impression that it is not hard to put the lettering on. (maybe I am wrong?) If I do, what would be a reasonable cost to buy the lettering?

Thanks
Pat
Had stick on die cut large names c/w a creative back ground design for far less.
Might be worth looking into.includes character type and size.done by computer.
High Pointer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull