Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2020, 07:53   #1

Boat: Bristol 31.1 , 31'
corrosion mast bottom

When I bought my Bristol 31 this past year the surveyor indicated that there was some corrosion at the mast base. Right now the mast is out but will be re-stepped soon. Obviously a good time to address this issue. Any ideas to prevent further corrosion?
taoist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 12:47   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: corrosion mast bottom

Sand down to good aluminum, leave the surface rough for adhesion, prime and paint. Stop whatever leak left water against your mast. Move on to the next problem.
Old 01-10-2020, 13:54   #3

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

The only guaranteed way to stop corrosion, is to not use it in a corrosive environment (ie. the sea). Barring that, you can get some corrosion-resistance from chemical clean and alodine prep:

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/pages.../alumiprep.php

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...lodine1001.php

Then a 2-part paint would probably be best, but I have no expertise there.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 17:57   #4

Boat: Sabre 402

Before you paint, how bad is the corrosion? We saw an aluminum can on the beach today that was essentially a bunch of holes that the waves had twisted into a pretzel. If there is enough solid material, sanding it down & painting is the way to go. If it's too far gone you may need a sleeve. A photo could help us provide the right advice, but your surveyor might be the best source for a knowledgeable solution.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 05:05   #5

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

Dulux Metalshield All Surface Primer

IT DOESN"T HAVE TO BE "DULUX" (OTHER MANUFACTURERS WILL HAVE A SIMILAR PRODUCT)

A high performance metal protection primer suitable for priming mild steel, aluminium, galvanised steel and fibreglass.
Features
  • Formulated with zinc phosphate
  • Very Good Corrosion Protection
  • Fast Drying
  • Excellent Adhesion
  • Available in 500ml, 1L, 4L
  • Available in Grey base
Benefits
  • Ideal primer for Metalshield topcoats on a wide range of metal substrates
Product code: 366H0070
Uses

Primer for all metal surfaces. Generally used as part of a protective coating system on: internal steel frames and trusses, miscellaneous metalwork.
Surface preparation

NOTE: Ensure the surface has thoroughly dried prior to application. Commercial applications may require additional surface preparation. AGED/LIGHTLY RUSTED SURFACES: Remove any rust by scraping, sanding or wire brushing. Wipe surface with Metalshield Brush Thinner to remove any residual grease, oils and dirt. NEW BARE STEEL/WROUGHT IRON: Wipe surface with Metalshield Brush Thinner to remove any residual grease, oils and dirt. GALVANISED IRON/ZINCALUME: Clean surface with sugar soap and a Scotch-Brite Pad to remove any grease, oils and dirt. Rinse with clean water. ALUMINIUM, COPPER, BRASS AND STAINLESS STEEL: Clean surface with sugar soap and a Scotch-Brite Pad to remove any grease, oils and dirt. Rinse with clean water.
Product downloads

Dulux Metalshield Epoxy Enamel Gloss

Protects against rust and corrosion
Features

Protects against rust and corrosion
  • Available in 500ml, 1L, 4L
  • Available in Gloss Vivid White, Gloss Deep, Gloss Ultra Deep, Gloss Extra Bright, Gloss True Red, Gloss Bold Yellow, Gloss Blue, Gloss Black, Gloss Indian Red, Gloss Mission Brown, Gloss Brunswick Green, Gloss Classic Cream, Gloss Woodland Grey, Gloss Manor Red bases

Benefits

• No primer required for new bare steel, wrought iron or pre-painted metal surfaces
  • Ideal for metal gates, trailers, fences, outdoor furniture, gutters, downpipes and railings
https://www.dulux.com.au/products/me...al%20%2Bshield
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 07:58   #6

Boat: Bristol 31.1 , 31'

Many thanks to one and all for the feedback. Unfortunately, we had a death in the family and I had to leave town and by the time I got back they had re-stepped the mast. However, this info will serve me well the next time I have the mast pulled.
taoist is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
corrosion, mast