Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-04-2021, 13:12   #1

Correctly sized options for upgrading GRAY portlights

I have 10 opening potlights on my 1980 Hunter. They are all matching, plastic Gray Enterprises ports. The four aft most are enormous 8.75" x 18.25" cutouts. The one over my stove gets a ton of opening an closing as I live abroad and use it for a handy cooking exhaust combined with a little usb fan. it's broken in six places. All the little fiddly bits of the hinges and dogs are cracking. Looking closely this design seems flimsy. So I want to replace with metal ports.

The problem is the size fo these ports. Unless I am mistaken none of the major manufacturers offer a rectangular size like this. The larger sizes are usually longer and squatter. Obviously I could go with a slightly bigger size and cut a larger hole, but I haven't found much that would work.

I have found the very popular Newfound Metals makes sizes that seem to match near exactly with all of my ports in bronze and stainless. This is a possible option, but they are expensive ($600 for one of my big ones without the accessories).

I would love to know if there are other options out there in a cheeper options out there, perhaps in aluminium, and ideally in a modern design where the frame itself is attaches the the outboard ring and clamped to an inner ring rather an the more traditional opposite. The standard Lewmar work this way for example.

Oh one more thing, my cabin top sides are at a 20 degree angle so good drainage is a must.

Am I missing a product out there for me? Are there other threads with good info on options?
Hunter36Naiad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2021, 16:37   #2

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft
Re: Correctly sized options for upgrading GRAY portlights

Your profile doesn't show where you are located but in Australia there are plenty of crowds that make custom boat windows.

Newfound Metals are in the State of Washington(?) so mabe these links would be useful?

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=custom+mad...=v204-1&ia=web
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2021, 16:56   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopec43 View Post
Your profile doesn't show where you are located but in Australia there are plenty of crowds that make custom boat windows.

Newfound Metals are in the State of Washington(?) so mabe these links would be useful?

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=custom+mad...=v204-1&ia=web
Thanks. Indeed I am in Washington state. My sense is that any custom opening port is going to be much more expensive, but I'll take a look.
Hunter36Naiad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2021, 19:23   #4

I agree that it's an odd shape, but I see some large portlights on hunter owners (7 1/2 x 17 11/16)

I wonder if you are measuring differently than they are, or maybe I selected the wrong model

They won't be metal but they will be in tact. Maybe you could use it to get something metal made

Good luck!
SailorAlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2021, 20:16   #5

Boat: Cape Dory 31

A little fiberglass work and you can have any sized opening you desire. Certainly cheaper and easier than finding/fabricating a port which conforms to your existing opening.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2021, 00:35   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Jim View Post
A little fiberglass work and you can have any sized opening you desire. Certainly cheaper and easier than finding/fabricating a port which conforms to your existing opening.

I was thinking along the same lines

I haven't watched this video clip but it might give you a few ideas

Old 30-04-2021, 09:07   #7

Boat: Hunter 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter36Naiad View Post
.........I would love to know if there are other options out there in a cheeper options out there.........., perhaps in aluminium, and ideally in a modern design where the frame itself...........
You can remove them and send to Manship dealer like marinedepotdirect who can fabricate custom stainless steel portlights. That is what I plan to do for four (4) 7¼ x 16½ inch portlights, which they recently quoted $500 per portlight.

PORTLIGHTS - MAN SHIP

www.marinedepotdirect.com
sail sfbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2021, 09:30   #8

Boat: Island Packet 485, 52'

I purchased a replacement port light for my Hunter. I purchased it from the organization that runs the hunter mailing list. sailboatowners.com. Their store has a menu where you picked a model and year and it then showed the correct port light. I think they are in Seattle. Shipping took a while
disputin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2021, 10:13   #9

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5

Can you post a picture of them? I got new plastic fabricated for my hunter. I called hatch masters. Great to deal with.

Ben
bensolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2021, 10:19   #10

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

Those Gray portlights are familiar to me - yes they are subject to breakage and can't be relied on. Check out Bomar - they had acquired Gray by the time we replaced our Gray portlights but Bomar also has a much better design in aluminum frame and hinges which fit our cabin openings with a just a slight enlargement. Ours were about 9 x 16 but perhaps Bomar also has some larger designs.
If you go to the trouble of replacing all of them, it's much better to avoid the plastic frame designs. Otherwise in a few years you'll be right back to where you are now. And if you intend to use the boat much on the ocean, you'll want the strength of aluminum.
Old 30-04-2021, 10:56   #11

Boat: Island Packet 485, 52'

Quote:
Originally Posted by bensolomon View Post
Can you post a picture of them? I got new plastic fabricated for my hunter. I called hatch masters. Great to deal with.

Ben
Actually I can't, as I sold the boat about a month ago.

This is the link however for portlights for a Hunter 36

https://shop.hunterowners.com/hp/hpcat.php?m=36&c=2

select your model and portlight and see what they come up with
disputin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2021, 10:58   #12

Boat: Morgan 37 OI MkII

We obtained exact fit replacements for Gray portlights from Bomar
iseadreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2021, 11:25   #13

Boat: Hunter 46

Ditto Hatchmaster for hatches. Did not know they also custom fabricate port lights.
sail sfbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2021, 12:11   #14

Boat: Irwin, Citation, 34
Send a message via ICQ to sengland

I have the same issue but have fixed a number of them either but buying new from Grey Pompanette. (https://pompanettellc.com/current-ca...ded-portlight/) or, if your careful you can remove, clean them all up, respray with appropriate color/type....or, (and have heard this to be a really good aesthetically pleasing fix) Buy some tinted 1/4" Perspex, shape is to your styling with edge radii, countersunk screw holes and literally screw to the outside with a thin layer of marine sealant. They don't open but serve a purpose.
sengland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2021, 22:04   #15

https://hunter.sailboatowners.com/resources/index.php

Tags
portlights, size