Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-11-2009, 07:08   #61

Boat: 1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch "Lady Catherine II", 1973 Bristol 34 - "Our Baby"(RIP), Catalina 22
A thought:
Having been a State of Texas CERTIFIED Pest Control Applicator, I have to agree with Fstbttms. A material available OTC but to LICENSED applicators only; if you were able to make this same material using the same components and you are not licensed to POSSESS IT, you open yourself to prosecution by those same governing bodies; as POSSESSION by uncertified or unlicensed individuals is illegal.
I'll state another example and don't say it's different because it's not.
I cannot by dynamite as I have no legal permit to do so. I go home and make my own and get caught with it , I'm going to Club Fed for a nice vacation.
The kicker is possession and application. A controlled material may be only possessed and/or applied by trained/certified personnel. Each state differs in the specifics but are always more and not less than the EPA regs. Whether made at home or commercialy, the law applies.

Oh BTW, all you Cali boaters, you probably already know but looks like their trying to add "zinc" in with the copper as a major pollutant. I found this but is a bit old.
http://www.cdpr.ca.gov/docs/emon/sur...36protocol.pdf
and peace and tranquility reign forever!
1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch
Fishman_Tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2009, 18:46   #62
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
As a professional hull cleaner, I hope you don't because God knows what you'll put in there. But hey, knock yourselves out. It's your boat and your dime.
Actually you raise, probably without realising, a good point.

What is your home made concoction going to do to any poor bugger who cleans your bottom or maybe kids who swim down the side of your boat?

I'm not anti-home made but I'm pretty damn sure the paint companies will have strict testing to make sure anything they make doesn't turn the poor Fstbttms of our world into 3 legged 2 headed freaks that glow after sunset.

Not suggesting the home-made would but it's not inconceivable your special 11 secret herbs and spices may just react with each other and do so. Assuming none are super nasties in their own right to start with.

Maybe something worth remembering when you're over your cauldron mixing up a batch of the anti-fouling from hell.

Personally I would be mixing anything up. I have no idea where to start to begin with. And there is also the lazy bugger factor to consider
GMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2009, 21:41   #63
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
copper?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMac View Post
I'm not anti-home made but I'm pretty damn sure the paint companies will have strict testing to make sure anything they make doesn't turn the poor Fstbttms of our world into 3 legged 2 headed freaks that glow after sunset.
Copper was the first metal formed into tools by humans. This happened during the Eneolithic, a brief period between the Neolithic and the Bronze Age. Roughly speaking, we humans have been working with copper for a bit more than 4 millennia. Those pennies in your pockets? Copper. And they've yet to turn a diver into a 3 legged freak.

Really. It's not that scary.
Old 21-11-2009, 00:55   #64
Marine Service Provider

I was more referring to some of the other substances I've heard being added and whatever nasties I haven't. Some just sound scary and gawd knows what may happen if they get mixed together.

Sorry no coins in the pocket, I have some daughters who appear to be headed for careers as a pick-pocket. Just how can anyone need so many pairs of shoes is beyond me. Can't blame copper for them growing extra feet I suppose
GMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2009, 08:14   #65
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
condolences

Quote:
Sorry no coins in the pocket, I have some daughters who appear to be headed for careers as a pick-pocket. Just how can anyone need so many pairs of shoes is beyond me. Can't blame copper for them growing extra feet I suppose
I not only understand, but sympathize completely. When asked why I'd moved from a 41 footer to a 46 footer, I explained that we needed the extra waterline to accommodate the wife's footwear.
Old 21-11-2009, 09:14   #66
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Quote:
Actually you raise, probably without realising, a good point.

What is your home made concoction going to do to any poor bugger who cleans your bottom or maybe kids who swim down the side of your boat?
That is exactly the point I intended to raise.

Quote:
If anybody is truly concerned with the health of your kids or the environment or (dare he say it?) your hull cleaner, there are plenty of non-toxic anti fouling solutions on the market for you to choose from.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2009, 05:49   #67

Boat: Cambria 46, Starlight
This coming spring, I'm going to have the bottom of our new (to us) 20 tear old boat taken down to gel coat, barrier coated, and I'll start all over again with bottom paint. We live in Connecticut, but in two or three years, we will be in the Caribbean for winters. Since we will be starting from a clean bottom, what are people's thoughts on a good bottom paint.

We get the bottom cleaned every two weeks in the summer, and our boat is moored in a brackish river with good fresh and tidal flow.

thanks !
HHNTR111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2010, 09:50   #68

All,
Just finished up putting on our new Copper/epoxy bottom. The 2ed time for us. I think I remember saying I would report on it when I finished. Soooo.....

Click on: Guenevere's 2010 Copper bottom
for a full report with a number of pictures of our “GOLD” boat!

Greg
Note; The link is only good as a direct click, you can not find it in our “Position Reports” page yet. Just got it up....

Delezynski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 11:16   #69
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Leopard 42 catamaran
Greg,

Your latest report says that in June you were not happy with the bottom of your boat, after putting on the copper + epoxy mix in April.

That is quite a contrast from your previous reports on copperpoxy.

So, do you think that is because you had the boat in warm waters (several people have said that it doesn't seem to work well in the Caribbean), or because the formula was, in some way, different from the copperpoxy formula?

Noel

Life is too short to live in ugly places.
LifePart2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 11:35   #70

Boat: PETERSON 44
I'm three years on Trinidad sr. Several times ive brushed the waterline and hull while on the water. Very happy with the performance. I'll haul this year and recoat. I sail alot and being on the chesapeake with varied temperature and salient levels helps I think. I'll know better when o hail but even now the hull loks good around the water line.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 14:36   #71

Noel,

I am quite sure that it is a different formula! The old Copperpoxy (at the end of it's life) was in the same water.

In Puerto Escondido they are putting on a copper bottom that is made in Cal. USA. They are currently testing it on a mooring float. As soon as I see the 6 month report, I may go that way.

Greg
Delezynski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 15:01   #72

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishman_Tx View Post
I cannot by dynamite as I have no legal permit to do so. I go home and make my own and get caught with it , I'm going to Club Fed for a nice vacation.

How things change.
When I was young (I'm now 65) you could buy dynamite in the local hardware or feed and seed stores.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 15:55   #73
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
"When I was young (I'm now 65) you could buy dynamite in the local hardware or feed and seed stores."

seems here if ye make enough of it they burn yer house down.... escondido, san diego county. kali, yesterday.. was a lot of it----
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 16:30   #74

Boat: Island trader, Ketch, 40.8ft, Vagabond
Since nothing grows on gold I am thinking about clading my hull in the stuff should work better than copper. What do you think? Anyone want to invest?
redmirage is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bottom paint