Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-04-2017, 12:12   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Vagabond 47
Re: Copper sheet on the hull?????

nowadays w use copper-sponges for ssb grounding 5 inches by 2,5 inches gives us 2,5 m² ssb grounding!
moseriw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2017, 18:52   #17

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

If the cooper plate is anywhere adjacent to sleeping berths.... it is solely against Marlin strikes late at night.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2017, 03:58   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansmith View Post
If the cooper plate is anywhere adjacent to sleeping berths.... it is solely against Marlin strikes late at night.
,now why didn't I think of that!
Kita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2017, 21:23   #19

Boat: Passage 24/30 Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansmith View Post
Now this sounds interesting, but I confess my ignorance as having no knowledge of Marlin's or their history of attacks on boats. Are you suggesting a Marlin can determine there is a 'body' inside the vessel that might provide a meal? Could a Marlin sword penetrate a sturdy FRP hull? Would someone care to educate me and explain in more detail, I'm really interested to learn more on this subject.
ps: Has any forum member experienced a Marlin attack on their vessel? If so, how/why did it happen and what did you do to prevent it from doing harm to boat or crew?
Sailorbob8599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2017, 21:48   #20

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorbob8599 View Post
Has any forum member experienced a Marlin attack on their vessel?
No, probably because of the copper plate on the hull exterior near the berth where I usually sleep. Originally, I had thought it part of a lightening protection system because it was in a precast (or at least intentionally formed) hull indentation. Then I thought it was a ground for the radio, but now I am pleased to learn its real purpose and effectiveness.
Old 15-04-2017, 22:58   #21

Boat: Passage 24/30 Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzstar View Post
No, probably because of the copper plate on the hull exterior near the berth where I usually sleep. Originally, I had thought it part of a lightening protection system because it was in a precast (or at least intentionally formed) hull indentation. Then I thought it was a ground for the radio, but now I am pleased to learn its real purpose and effectiveness.
Brian, your response is meaningless. You've not explained the relevance of copper plate to the probability/possibility of being or, not being attacked.
Sailorbob8599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2017, 09:35   #22

Boat: 1969 Columbia28, 1984/2016 Horstman TriStar36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kita View Post
I have done considerable research on lighting & boats, it's possible for a strike to hit mast & travel through boat to ground or in the case of a boat,water... some fiberglass boats have metal through hull fittings that have been blown off in a strike,end result is a hole & down she goes! In my research I found that navy boats are all metal and they are struck often with no damage.. a fiberglass boat makes like a big resistor with a very small metal ground and all that voltage will blow that small metal piece right off the boat. But in the Navy's case they get no damage from a direct hit And the reason for that is that the whole ship makes for a wonderful ground. The lightning goes right through the ship and into the water and dissipate. Now a fiberglass boat doesn't even have to be hit to be a problem, the emp from a nearby strike can fry Electronics. The point to all of this is like one of the other fellows mentioned it's possible that somebody had the idea to dissipate a lightning strike through that plate. It's just a theory. But one that I find fascinating because the great big metal ship gets struck and has no damage. But a small fiberglass boat will take a lot of damage in a lightning strike. Lightning is funny stuff. It is always been a concern of mine because I live in one of the lightning hotspots in the world. If you find that it is something else please let us know I would be very interested. Thank you!
I think the thin thin thin copper will disintegrate instantaneously if direct hit and any thrubolt will likely also. The thrubolt gone allows water in....Back to the drawing board I think.
thruska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2017, 09:43   #23

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thruska View Post
I think the thin thin thin copper will disintegrate instantaneously if direct hit and any thrubolt will likely also. The thrubolt gone allows water in....Back to the drawing board I think.
I don't know about it disintegrating? It would provide a large surface area for dissipation of a strike. If it did go proof, who would care, it did its job.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2017, 10:15   #24

Boat: 45 Leopard- Had a 42 Leopard- Sunk by Irma
Re: Copper sheet on the hull?

My vote is for a ground plate for a radio or electronics, similar to the copper bars that used to be installed on some boats.
Re the deck, probably a cheap fix for leaking decks. I've seen burlap put down and covered with some sort of white mastic as a cheap way to fix leaking decks.
LLizzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2017, 14:21   #25

Quote:
Brian, your response is meaningless. You've not explained the relevance of copper plate to the probability/possibility of being or, not being attacked.
You need to reread you own ps. You asked for an explanation of if so.
Old 16-04-2017, 20:37   #26

Boat: 1969 Columbia28, 1984/2016 Horstman TriStar36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
I don't know about it disintegrating? It would provide a large surface area for dissipation of a strike. If it did go proof, who would care, it did its job.
Yeah I don't know either, but I think the DIRECT hit might blow out the thruhullbolt attached to the thin plate and as previously mentioned sink the boat , no purpose served then.
With that in mind, (my heavy ground cable from mast to keel bolt, keel bolt embedded in lead keel ) would a direct hit blow molten lead out of the keel?

The question is not tthread related perhaps. But the electrical calculations are not in my manual.
thruska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2017, 11:49   #27

I read somewhere about a keel getting blown off of a smaller sailboat but I have no idea if that is really plausible but I could definitely see a thru Hull fitting getting blown off & if you weren't there that could sink it....I did see where they actually caught this on security camera in the marina where there was a strike in between two boats and there was quite a bit of damage to electronics in both. .parts of the top of the mast were melted into the deck on one ! That was NOT a direct strike, but they said the EMP is what damaged the Electronics. Those were both fiberglass boats
Kita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2017, 13:33   #28

Quote:
Now this sounds interesting, but I confess my ignorance as having no knowledge of Marlin's or their history of attacks on boats. Are you suggesting a Marlin can determine there is a 'body' inside the vessel that might provide a meal? Could a Marlin sword penetrate a sturdy FRP hull? Would someone care to educate me and explain in more detail, I'm really interested to learn more on this subject.
ps: Has any forum member experienced a Marlin attack on their vessel? If so, how/why did it happen and what did you do to prevent it from doing harm to boat or crew?
I have conducted a complete poll (although I have reason to believe one may have been a Pole) of the marlins and marlin fishing types that I know, including on guy who had caught a sawfish on a tattered piece of polyester line, and they were in complete agreement. Slightly corroded copper is best. as it does not do its job so well when new or freshly shined.
Old 17-04-2017, 13:49   #29

If a Marlin want's to get you it will find a way, an iddy biddy piece of copper won't stop it, it will just find another way in, there is no where to hide and no one is safe!

Be Brave, Take Risks, Nothing Can Substitute Experience
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2017, 13:53   #30

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandHopper View Post
If a Marlin want's to get you it will find a way, an iddy biddy piece of copper won't stop it, it will just find another way in, there is no where to hide and no one is safe!

That's one hooked. A little different.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull