Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-08-2016, 23:00   #16

Boat: possible Union 36 Rehab
Re: Coosa Board

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Anytime, always happy to help. Are you doing this job, or is the yard?
545 Tie Coat - Is this the Awlgrip 545 Epoxy Primer?

After what I've learned, I agree with you, one resin system, and since prior patch(es) failed, inclined to redo, but will know more with a better visual.

No, I'm not doing the job, but at present the yard is not either. They were to come up with a full proposal, (solution to repair/cost/schedule) but can't seem to get there. So, short of flying you in, or shipping the boat to you, trying to educate myself enough to drive the plan for success, and get an estimate, even if it is a guess-timate, and get them working. I'm really surprised at how much yard needs me to tell them what to do. And to a degree I'm discovering I need to know enough to assure final result.

Not a good time for me to be struggling with this, but I'll never get the boat in condition to sail if I don't.

Just not finding depth of expertise at yards, which would be OK, as long as they were invested in sorting or gaining the expertise.

In their defense, the project was started elsewhere and was being executed improperly. I'm sure it would be easier for them if they owned it from the start.

Thanks again.
BigSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2016, 08:20   #17
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSmile View Post
545 Tie Coat - Is this the Awlgrip 545 Epoxy Primer?

After what I've learned, I agree with you, one resin system, and since prior patch(es) failed, inclined to redo, but will know more with a better visual.

No, I'm not doing the job, but at present the yard is not either. They were to come up with a full proposal, (solution to repair/cost/schedule) but can't seem to get there. So, short of flying you in, or shipping the boat to you, trying to educate myself enough to drive the plan for success, and get an estimate, even if it is a guess-timate, and get them working. I'm really surprised at how much yard needs me to tell them what to do. And to a degree I'm discovering I need to know enough to assure final result.

Not a good time for me to be struggling with this, but I'll never get the boat in condition to sail if I don't.

Just not finding depth of expertise at yards, which would be OK, as long as they were invested in sorting or gaining the expertise.

In their defense, the project was started elsewhere and was being executed improperly. I'm sure it would be easier for them if they owned it from the start.

Thanks again.

Yes, that's it. There are other tie coats as well. That's just the one I prefer.

Sucks to deal with having to train a yard. Good luck, and ride 'em hard!

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2016, 15:42   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSmile View Post
Few more questions popped:

How is corebond best applied under the margins?

For the top skin, need to achieve 3/8" thickness for original construction/stiffness:
-I think that comes to 8 layers of the DBM 1708. Is this correct?
-Or 7 layers of DBM 1708 and a top layer of 17oz. woven e-glass alone

-How much different is the rollout with 17oz woven e-glass as the top layer versus for CSM 1.5oz?

How thick typically is gelcoat surface coating 1/16" ? Or better still how thick should it be? (Need to verify an overall height )

Wildcard - Deck patches that patched out prism cutouts are believed to have been done in epoxy. Evidence from inside salon suggests at least one was not done well. Will need to get better inspection on all these points. Also concern they are not compatible with poly. If so, is there a strategy other than cutting out and re-patching in poly?

And, deck hardware mounting thru-holes had tape applied on the interior underside, and were filled with unknown material. Is it possible to distinguish poly from epoxy by visual inspection?
If not, then I guess these would need to be re-done to be sure of new deck treatment in poly. Or?

Thanks again, appreciate your time and input.

Yes, Poly does have a distinctive smell. Smelled it in a few spots when piece of bottom skin came up with one of the few balsa squares that actually bonded. (Don't get confused here...original core plywood, failed partial repair balsa.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P8240057.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	458.0 KB
ID:	130134  
Old 26-08-2016, 16:08   #19

No glass on the inner skin inside, only core bond.

[/QUOTE]

How do you prep the Coosa before laying into Corebond? Any sanding (particular grit?), cleaning, wiping or primer treatment, or coating with poly resin? And same again before applying glass to top side of Coosa?

Just learned that cloths/rags washed with fabric softener can contain silicon, yikes.

Found the source of "crack" sounds was concerned about locating/treating.

Bottom skin separated from remaining core under "foot" of coachroof, and some cracking of the remaining old plywood core (in spots where partial deck stepped on).

The original core runs all the way under the coachroof foot. Obviously, needs to be removed as part of margin cleanup.

Saw a camber towards coachroof in this area, basically there's a crown in middle of deck. Do you ever do jack or other supports from the underside of the coachroof while all margin materials removed?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P8230031.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	419.4 KB
ID:	130136  
Old 26-08-2016, 16:13   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
No glass on the inner skin inside, only core bond.

Hmm, not getting these quotes right. Can you talk about Coosa prep & findings on previous post?

Thank you